SAU Community

Ms Sydney To Gong Ride 2008

JAS-25T

gong-home2.jpg

Hey Everyone,

I'm sure most of you have heard about the Sydney to Gong ride, for those of you who haven't, it’s an annual event where people get together in teams or as individuals to raise money for people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). The ride commences from 2 locations either St Peter's (90km) or Heathcote (56km) and ride down the beautiful coast line to one of the best places in the world…..Wollongong

MS stands for Multiple Sclerosis, a disease of the central nervous system affecting more young adult Australians than any other neurological condition. People are typically diagnosed in their twenties and thirties, with the average age of diagnosis 30. Interestingly three times more women are affected by MS than men and it is more common in cooler climates. In Australia, over 20,000 people currently have MS, however this figure is increasing as diagnosis methods become more advanced. For more information on this disease you can visit the MS society website by clicking on the MS logo below.

MS-logo.jpg

While some people do the ride more so for the fun of it, I am entering this year, mostly to raise money and awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), as this is something that is close to my heart after my partner was diagnosed with MS mid 2007. Since then, we have been dedicating a lot of our spare time and spare cash, helping out the MS support organisations that help those with MS, including volunteering at last years Sydney to Gong ride event, which raised over $1.3 million! I have also been involved in other charity fundraisers in the last few years such as “Shave for a Cure” (which helps kids with cancer) and “Movember” (which helps with most of male health issues).

This year I will be riding the long course which is 90kms long, and hope to make it to Wollongong in one piece. As a participant in the event, and the fact that I am no speed racer by any means, my goal is to raise the most money as an individual, and possibly as a team as well as raise a lot of awareness about the disease.

To give you an idea of the numbers I am trying to achieve, last years individual who raised the most was around $18,000 and the highest group was $50,000 (off the top of my head). Although this seems like a lot, I’d like to aim high. There are a few ways you can help me achieve this:

1) Probably the most fun option is to join my team (Amanda’s Team) and ride and fundraise with me! – This will include plenty of preparation and a bit of hard effort up the hills, as well as plenty of fun. Follow this link or contact me direct for more information on how to join Amanda’s Team, and event details.

2) Donate to our team or me as an individual. Small individual donations will be appreciated, just as much as large corporate donations will be. You can donate online by clicking here or by seeing me in person for cash donations. Don’t forget all donations are a tax deductible!

3) Volunteer for the event – there are both, positions leading up to event as well as positions on the day, which vary from letterbox drops, to handing out lunches, to packing bikes into trucks to be returned to Sydney. For possible positions please refer this page for more information and click on the “Volunteer” link at the top of the page. Valuable time that is donated as a volunteer is appreciated just as much as money. In fact, without the volunteers, there is no Sydney to Gong ride each year, so feel free to spend a day (or more) helping out for this event.

Here is a link to my page where you can keep up to date with donations, who’s on the team and see everyone’s individual pages from our team page. As you can see my partner and I have already donated $500, and I hope this is the beginning of many more generous donations. I also encourage you to forward this email on to everyone you know to get as much support as possible.

My partner Amanda & I, along with every other person affected by MS would really like to thank you for your time and any contribution to my team and this event, every little bit counts and we really appreciate it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

il be farked if I could ride that distance... as per Adam, il donate instead :D

Just have to wait till my account unfreezes sometime next week due to teh b@stard that stole my wallet and stole funds online... :)

Yeah I will be riding in the event. Im currently in training with 2 other mates who have done it before. We are slowly increasing our distance each weekend. We ride from the M7 (Windsor Rd) and turn around when we get far enough. Did 38km last week, aiming for 45km next week. I dont think I will join the team but hope to see you on the ride.

If anyone feel like sponsoring the fat barsted rides 90km fund, please post up and send it to Jas-25T

• 2 weeks later...
il be farked if I could ride that distance... as per Adam, il donate instead :D

Just have to wait till my account unfreezes sometime next week due to teh b@stard that stole my wallet and stole funds online... :(

For all those people who say it cant be done.. If I can do it (I did it in 2003..) then anyone can!

I will flick some cash over, its a great initiative and a great day out (even if you cant sit down for a few days after!).

Friendly reminder! :D

up to $1395!

keep up the generous donations people :D

Thanks for your generous donation Carlos!

WOW - $1445

and over $100,000 already raised in total!

Your welcome.. its a great cause.. My ex had MS and my grandfather died of ALS so its something I would love to see cured!

You doing much training?