SAU Community

Stagea Rs-four Factory Gauge Cluster Problem

Tommy G

I have had my S2 Stagea RS-Four Type-S for a few days now and am curious as to why the 'front torque' gauge doesn't work. The battery voltage and boost are connected up and work fine. I have had the dash out today trying to install a new head-unit and thought I might as well try and get this gauge working while I've got it all out. Firstly, is this particular gauge only active in models with variable torque splitting, or on all models? I couldn't see a loose plug/loom for the torque gauge, but even if I did find one I probably wouldn't know where to put the thing!

Does anybody have a photo or diagram of which wires/plugs go where on the back of the gauge cluster?

Many thanks.

post-52103-1221894920_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Ok, firstly is your car genuine RS-Four S?

Just want to make sure on that first.

Next have you really dumped the clutch to try and break traction?

On my Stag I always noticed it took a bit to get the AWD to kick in (split seconds, not seconds I mean) and ,of course, for the gauge to spring in to life.

My Stag would always break rear traction for a split second then the AWD would kick right in.

This was noticeably different from my R33 GTR (V-spec) which is an almost instantaneous "twitch" of the needle.

The next thing, and I don't mean to alarm you, is to make sure you don't have a problem with your AWD system.

As I now of one Stag (genuine Type S)that had an AWD problem but the dash warning light didn't come on. Even though the AWD dash light was working.

The front torque split gauge only came out in the Type S and 260RS versions. The Autos didn't get them.

All Attesa controlled cars are torque splitting systems, one way or another.

If you need any more help please let me know.

I have had my S2 Stagea RS-Four Type-S for a few days now and am curious as to why the 'front torque' gauge doesn't work. The battery voltage and boost are connected up and work fine. I have had the dash out today trying to install a new head-unit and thought I might as well try and get this gauge working while I've got it all out. Firstly, is this particular gauge only active in models with variable torque splitting, or on all models? I couldn't see a loose plug/loom for the torque gauge, but even if I did find one I probably wouldn't know where to put the thing!

Does anybody have a photo or diagram of which wires/plugs go where on the back of the gauge cluster?

Many thanks.

Hi Gianavel,

Thanks for the speedy reply. My car is definitely a genuine Type-S (manual/4WD). I haven't actually dumped the clutch to try and get it to slip - will the front torque gauge only move under traction loss? I thought the 4WD Stageas were full-time 4WD. Is this not correct? Maybe the reason the gauge doesn't come on is because its using 2WD until it encounters traction loss?

You've pretty much got it in a nutshell.

All AWD Nissans that use the Atessa system are primarily a RWD car until the system senses loss of longitudinal traction.

It then kicks in and amount of FWD to compensate.

Try it and see. Like I said it may take a bit too.

So make sure you do break traction in the rear.

Let me know!

Hi Gianavel,

Thanks for the speedy reply. My car is definitely a genuine Type-S (manual/4WD). I haven't actually dumped the clutch to try and get it to slip - will the front torque gauge only move under traction loss? I thought the 4WD Stageas were full-time 4WD. Is this not correct? Maybe the reason the gauge doesn't come on is because its using 2WD until it encounters traction loss?

Thats good news,

I might not have to worry about it after all. This is my first Skyline (had a 180SX previously) so new to this 4WD stuff. I may have to do some purely scientific research later on this weekend and discover the correaltion between wheel spin and torque gauge needle activity :) WHAAAPWHAAAPP

Thanks again for your help - I'll let you know how I get on!

Pretty sure all the stag's (autos included) with the attessa awd system run 95% rear and 5% front until it loses traction then it goes up to 50/50. Easiest way to find out is to find a patch of gravel or dirt and stomp on the throttle i suppose! They're pretty hard to break traction on tarmac, well, the autos are.

Edited by webng