SAU Community

Recommend Me A New Turbo.

Bullet32

So I recently destroyed my Garret GT30/71R (I think it sucked in a small dog or something).

Myturbo2.jpg

So instead of spending large amounts of cash rebuilding it, I am considering an upgrade...

I have the following mods done to my RB25DET:

- A'Pexi Power FC

- Splitfire coilpacks

- 550cc Sard injectors + 044 fuel pump

- Turbosmart Supersonic BOV

- JJR Front Mounted intercooler 300x600x76

- Trust Power Extreme ll 3" full exhaust

(I will also be installing a GReddy Profec B Spec ll boost controller)

Using the previous turbo the car made 240kw at the wheels, I would like to see it make 260 - 270kw on a safe tune.

I am looking for experienced peoples opinions on what turbo I should get.

I am also going to use the standard exhaust manifold so high mount and/or external gated turbos are out.

Any help will be much appreciated,

In my original post I said that I am not looking for high mount and/or external gate... But thanks :P

sorry for my ignorance :P

well my friends R33 has a low mounted GT3040 on factory manifold and is making around 270kw at the wheels on around 1.3BAR with cams and PFC.

Edited by dmr

No problem :P

I didnt think that you could low mount a GT3040 (I thought that they were too big), but anyway... Would a turbo that size be very laggy? I dont have aftermarket cams in mine either.

No problem :P

I didnt think that you could low mount a GT3040 (I thought that they were too big), but anyway... Would a turbo that size be very laggy? I dont have aftermarket cams in mine either.

no idea on how he got it to fit, he brought the car with the turbo previously installed. he gets full boost at around 5,500rpm.

i fit a TR43 (almost same size) on my RB20 low mounted. i had to grind back a millimeter of the manifold and rotate the turbo housings a couple degrees.

Edited by dmr

GT35... look below for my results...

I had my GT35 low mounted on my customised factory manifold...

if you want a big turbo it's a good choice...

Not bad at all, Im assuming that the GT35 is external gate?

no idea on how he got it to fit, he brought the car with the turbo previously installed. he gets full boost at around 5,500rpm.

i fit a TR43 (almost same size) on my RB20 low mounted. i had to grind back a millimeter of the manifold and rotate the turbo housings a couple degrees.

Sounds like it could be an option, I think I would prefer to have something a bit more responsive though. The GT3071 had almost no lag at all :P

going the hks route will be very expensice but the 2835 pro is great.

Garret is the way to go but to get that power with a good setup you will need a external wastegate as the internal setup doesn;t work so well with the garret turbo's.

So I recently destroyed my Garret GT30/71R (I think it sucked in a small dog or something).

Using the previous turbo the car made 240kw at the wheels, I would like to see it make 260 - 270kw on a safe tune.

The turbo you have should do that.

So just rebuild it, problem solved. If you CANT make that power something isnt right with the setup.

The 3071 is the perfect choice!

GT3540?

Why put a 700hp turbo on a car thats only after less than 450hp? stupid suggestion

In my original post I said that I am not looking for high mount and/or external gate... But thanks :P

You can actually get them with internal gates, no problem there... however again, its a dumb turbo choice as is a GT3040 even in the 500hp form (with the smaller comp wheel)