SAU Community

Sway Bars

I have the following suspension set-up (R33 GTS-T):

*King Spings (200lbs)

*Bilstein Shockers

*Front and rear strut braces

*Other bits and pieces including offset Nolethane bushed for camber correction

I can pick up a set of front and rear Whiteline sway bars second hand for a good price and was wondering if they will be of any benefit. They are solid bars without adjustment either 1mm bigger or the same diameter as the hollow factory ones. Need to confirm this.

My set-up is pretty hard now with only a bit of body roll and I suspect if I go sway bars I'll just stiffen it up too much and either get too much understeer or poor rear end grip underpower out of corners.

What do you reckon?

Freebaggin.

Provided you have swaybars front and rear they will even each other out and you will get a slight oversteer. It is possible you will have to switch to Whiteline springs as the swaybars are made to suit Whiteline springs. But if you can adjust the dampers, then you can balance the car out.

I have bilsten shocks and rsr springs in my car along with f&r strut bars, it handled good but didnt turn in as good as I liked.

The other week I fitted whiteline swaybars adjustable, 24mm front 22mm rear i think, with the bushes for the lower control arm and the adjustable ones to reduce the neg on the back, I also changed the from caster rod bushes to give more caster and fitted the rings to take the complience out off the diff. Doing this made the car heeps better, it is a bit stiffer but just turns in so much better and the rear grips much better and if it does step out it comes back much quicker.

On the cruise the other week I was doing a good job of keeping up with a john in his 34 gtr through the hills with pretty adverage tyres.

If you want any whiteline gear I can get it cheap, the f&r swaybars were about 250 new.

Thanks guys.

Clint32, you made alot of changes there in one hit so it might be difficult to isolate the effect that the sway bars had on improving the handling, but I know it is difficult to do everything step by step.

I made a change once to the front set-up, it was an adaption of the K-Mac Falcon camber adjuster to give me more adjustment and that improved turn in unbeleivably so the combined changes you mentioned would certainly have helped.

Anyway, I'd love to check your car out. When are you going on cruise next?

Freebaggin.

your right but the swaybars deffinately made the car stiffer so if you change them you will have done everything you can do to easily improve you handling, the king springs shouldnt be much different to the whiteline ones you wouldnt think.

Probably go on the next cruise organised.