SAU Community

Jun 264 9.7mm Rb26 Cams

Just looking at running the JUN 264 9.7mm cams for a circuit gtr with -5 Garretts.

Anyone using these?

1) Whats the idle like?

2) Whats the effect on response/lag, midrange and top end?

3) Do you need upgraded valve springs or any machining of head?

Thanks in advance.

Just looking at running the JUN 264 9.7mm cams for a circuit gtr with -5 Garretts.

Anyone using these?

1) Whats the idle like?

3) Do you need upgraded valve springs or any machining of head?

Thanks in advance.

These cams are a drop-in item, but the turbo you listed works better with properly dialed-in stock camshafts

Edited by DiRTgarage

dont htink they are big enough to make a difference.

there WILL be a difference... but probably not worth the effort. all you will get out of it is a car that idles a bit higher which makes it harder to drive at slow speeds. you would be suprised the difference 100rpm makes down there

Surely midrange would be improved wouldnt it though?

All the Vic circuit GTR's use stock cams with ~380rwkw being the norm output.. and there are a few of them

So apparently not. (FYI, most of them had poncams or other upgrades ones, and have since returned to stock)

All the Vic circuit GTR's use stock cams with ~380rwkw being the norm output.. and there are a few of them

So apparently not. (FYI, most of them had poncams or other upgrades ones, and have since returned to stock)

Yeah ive heard that somewhere.. How are they making so much power though with -5 setups or are they running slightly bigger? What sort of boost generally on the track?

Obviously they have dropped the stock cams back in for better lap times right? That's pretty interesting and surprising....

i have dropped a set into my engine with the -5's and they were no better until we put the ported head on. We did see an improvement then but only over 20psi boost. Not to mention quite a long time dialing them in last time on the dyno, lots of work for very little gain over stock.

Does sound much better idling though if thats you thing.

ended up with 500hp at the crank with a full forged bottom end

i have dropped a set into my engine with the -5's and they were no better until we put the ported head on. We did see an improvement then but only over 20psi boost. Not to mention quite a long time dialing them in last time on the dyno, lots of work for very little gain over stock.

Does sound much better idling though if thats you thing.

ended up with 500hp at the crank with a full forged bottom end

Hmm.. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it..

I was pretty set on the Jun's but maybe not anymore.... Was keen for a slightly angry gtr idle too :P

Or maybe i'll have to get the head done and run over 20psi boost to make it worthwhile :P

Hmm.. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it..

I was pretty set on the Jun's but maybe not anymore.... Was keen for a slightly angry gtr idle too :P

Or maybe i'll have to get the head done and run over 20psi boost to make it worthwhile :P

just buy these...they bolt straight in and will be fine with your STD valve train.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Rb...ft-t241163.html

Anyone using these?

1) Whats the idle like?

Similar cams but with 2530s:-

1) => idle is about 950 rpm, you don't know it's got cams in it (until you hit 4k on fully open throttle)

2) => much the same as std but more torque and HP over 4500rpm, bitch to dial in.

Recommend you buy Dirtgarage's ones at that price :rant:

Why'd you get rid of them?

Whats the midrange like?

What's the idle like?

We went for a larger cam profile because we decided to pull the engine and go ballistic on it.

I had the same cams in my old race engine and was good for 467KW at the tyres with 2530's and ran 10.30's.

bit lumpier than stock but not too over the top.

We went for a larger cam profile because we decided to pull the engine and go ballistic on it.

I had the same cams in my old race engine and was good for 467KW at the tyres with 2530's and ran 10.30's.

bit lumpier than stock but not too over the top.

I would grab them in an instant but Im just wondering why many VIC track guys have gone back to stockers from the 260 9.15's with -5's as R31Nismoid has indicated and I have heard elsewhere too.....

Still deciding and waiting for more advice.... Just want a good setup that will do the job efficiently on the track..

Response was better. A dyno graph doesnt show much, infact cams looked better on the paper :cheers:

It was on the track where it was noticed most however, the cars are faster than they ever have been here.

Its the real world where you can notice on/off throttle response and that kind of thing, things you cannot see on a set of rollers.

People nth of the border generally put cams in.

Comes down to your tuner, the engine build/things done etc... and how they all work together as a package including brakes, suspension and so on as much as anything else in terms of the whole car.