SAU Community

The Time Has Come - R34 Gtr Vspec.

Spunky Munky

Hi all,

The time has come for me to import, what is perhaps the last Sports Car in life... the R34 GTR...can you please help me with the following questions...

1. Which importer (agent) should I go to, to import my new car?

2. How would I know what to import, i.e. would it be something like ebay where I know exactly what I am going to purchase complete with pictures, specs and all details of the vehicle?

3. What's involved, e.g. do I place, say, a $2K deposit with the importer, they contact the Japanese provider, import it over and give me, say, 2 weeks' notice and I just come and pick up the car at their yard with a cheque for the remaining amount?

4. How much do I expect to play for a descent R34 GTR now-a-days? I have heard various suggestions from people ranging from $40K to $60K - I don't mind if there's some K's on the meter (not too high though), so how much should I expect? I'd hope to spend less than $60K where possible.

5. How long would this importing processs take?

6. Finally, after my vehicle is landed is it very hard to comply/register it for road use? Moreover, does the vehicle come with any sort of warranty, i.e. if the vehicle has some faults or damage, can I simply return it or does I wear it as it's landed?

Your answers to the above would be great as I'd be looking at this matter in a couple of months after the new year...

Thanks all.

Kevin

I've added all my answers below.

Hi all,

The time has come for me to import, what is perhaps the last Sports Car in life... the R34 GTR...can you please help me with the following questions...

1. Which importer (agent) should I go to, to import my new car? Iron Chef Imports is pretty good I hear haha. There are plenty of good import brokers around, so email or call a few and see who you get the best vibe from. Make sure the broker has agents who inspect the cars in the metal before purchasing - that is probably more important than anything.

2. How would I know what to import, i.e. would it be something like ebay where I know exactly what I am going to purchase complete with pictures, specs and all details of the vehicle? Most agents will send you information about cars coming up at auctions in Japan, or that are available at dealers - avoid places like tradecarview or Yahoo Japan as a method of sourcing your own car, as you'll find they can be a bit of a minefield when it comes to finding a suitable car.

3. What's involved, e.g. do I place, say, a $2K deposit with the importer, they contact the Japanese provider, import it over and give me, say, 2 weeks' notice and I just come and pick up the car at their yard with a cheque for the remaining amount? All explained in here - http://ironchefimports.com/site/index.php?...7&Itemid=31

4. How much do I expect to play for a descent R34 GTR now-a-days? I have heard various suggestions from people ranging from $40K to $60K - I don't mind if there's some K's on the meter (not too high though), so how much should I expect? I'd hope to spend less than $60K where possible. You'll be fine with that budget, unless you want a V Spec II Nur. Around the low $50Ks would buy you something nice.

5. How long would this importing processs take? Allow three months from the time you buy the car.

6. Finally, after my vehicle is landed is it very hard to comply/register it for road use? Moreover, does the vehicle come with any sort of warranty, i.e. if the vehicle has some faults or damage, can I simply return it or does I wear it as it's landed? Depending on which state you're in, most workshops will be able to help you register the car. There are no warranties - remember that you're purchasing the car from an agent overseas, not from the broker. The FAQ section on my site has more about this.

Your answers to the above would be great as I'd be looking at this matter in a couple of months after the new year...

Thanks all.

Kevin

I've added all my answers below.

I hard a lot of good things from Iron Chef too... you're pretty cluey, will give you a call some time soon... want to organise this... seeing that it will take 3 months... I might do it now so I get a new car in the new year... man... I've been eating, sleeping, dreaming and having sex thinking about the R34 GTR. :)

Thanks for your detailed response. If I go through you, do you have localised agents that you deal with?

Thanks. Do you have any R34GTR's on the radar now? I want one, like now... instantly can't be bothered waiting - I never was a patient person... :O

Haha, I know what you mean about eating, sleeping and dreaming about GT-Rs...here is mine, which is currently on its way over here...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...ss-t234080.html

I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but if you want one straight away, you'd be hard pressed to get better than Beer Baron's car...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ba...ll-t230835.html

Haha, I know what you mean about eating, sleeping and dreaming about GT-Rs...here is mine, which is currently on its way over here...

Oh nice! So Australia's up to 3 now! I was having a look at one of the others during the week, they're easily the best R34 available IMO. Definatly prefer that to a ztune. What was the ballpark figure for the landed price?

even though i didnt import a car and dont know that much about importing the 2 highly recommended importers iv heard is Iron chef and J-spec.

but id recommend Iron chef and thats cause few months ago i was after a GTR33 but was still double minded and sent iron chef and j=spec an email just stating my interest in a GTR and all i can say is even though i wasnt one of his paying customer the online service i got from iron chef was awesome (he even called me and had a chat and explained things to me). weekly email of the types of GTR that would interest me (not just random cars he purchased but actually the ones that i would by and was after) and the were all in superb condition with as much info posted as he could.

jump on his site and check out the cars his got and ye give him a call. top bloke you are Kristian. (sorry again i didnt end up getting a GTR but dont worry one day your phone will ring and you will be getting one down for me :D)

Oh nice! So Australia's up to 3 now! I was having a look at one of the others during the week, they're easily the best R34 available IMO. Definatly prefer that to a ztune. What was the ballpark figure for the landed price?

About $10K more than it was supposed to (and the wife knows about...) - I thank the diving Aussie dollar for that one...

If you have contact details for the N1 you saw let me know. I'm starting an N1 register. The other one now resides in Adelaide too.

even though i didnt import a car and dont know that much about importing the 2 highly recommended importers iv heard is Iron chef and J-spec.

but id recommend Iron chef and thats cause few months ago i was after a GTR33 but was still double minded and sent iron chef and j=spec an email just stating my interest in a GTR and all i can say is even though i wasnt one of his paying customer the online service i got from iron chef was awesome (he even called me and had a chat and explained things to me). weekly email of the types of GTR that would interest me (not just random cars he purchased but actually the ones that i would by and was after) and the were all in superb condition with as much info posted as he could.

jump on his site and check out the cars his got and ye give him a call. top bloke you are Kristian. (sorry again i didnt end up getting a GTR but dont worry one day your phone will ring and you will be getting one down for me :D)

Please note, I did not pay ashneel to say this! lol Cheers mate, let me know whenever you're ready.

Personally i don't think it's the right time to be importing a car with the 1AUD only netting you 65Yen. The prices on parts from Japan have skyrocketed, i can't imagine what the purchase price of a car would be especially a 34 gtr.

I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but if you want one straight away, you'd be hard pressed to get better than Beer Baron's car...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ba...ll-t230835.html

Damn yo, you got some tissues and new pants? I think I just came in my undies! Damn, that's hot...

However, the princess of my dreams is a Bayside R34 GTR with stock gold rims. I would chuck a Top Secret kit all round and dump it on some Tein coils, get a HKS exhaust and kick it on the side then I'm going work on the engine until the GTR grows titties...

So yeah, I want a bayside blue one....

You got any in stock?

Kev

About $10K more than it was supposed to (and the wife knows about...) - I thank the diving Aussie dollar for that one...

If you have contact details for the N1 you saw let me know. I'm starting an N1 register. The other one now resides in Adelaide too.

Please note, I did not pay ashneel to say this! lol Cheers mate, let me know whenever you're ready.

Bro, can you keep me updated on R34 GTR's? VSPEC or non VSPEC's too... only in black and/or bayside blue please...

[email protected]

I want one... now!!! :)

Personally i don't think it's the right time to be importing a car with the 1AUD only netting you 65Yen. The prices on parts from Japan have skyrocketed, i can't imagine what the purchase price of a car would be especially a 34 gtr.

Yeah, I agree... but was wondering... how does it work... so once I give the go-ahead... is it at this point that I have purchased it and hence whatever exchange rate would apply?

yep; wrong time to buy, unless the AUD continues to fall against the Yen!!!. but, a man's gotta have, what a man's gotta have!!!. as an example: when I imported my GTR [R32] the price paid at auction was 2m JY, roughly $20k AUD, with the rate what is was then. to pay 2m JY for a car now will cost roughly $31k AUD. obviously, the import charges remain the same, but it's still a big difference with the Aussie $ starting to resemble the Mexican Peso in buying power offshore.

Yeah, I agree... but was wondering... how does it work... so once I give the go-ahead... is it at this point that I have purchased it and hence whatever exchange rate would apply?

I used an agent in Japan to souce/buy my car; once we knew the purchase price, plus fees etc he sent an invoice, in JY, when I transferred the money from my bank to his, the exchange rate used was that which applied at the time of the transfer; not the time of the purchase.