SAU Community

Odometer Stopped Ticking Over Today...

BLK33T

my odometer in my 33 stopped ticking over today ... so I've got a few q's

1.What do you think is the likely cause?

2. What do I need to fix this?

3. How much will it cost.

also a couple of days ago the speedo started to jump around every now and again what do you think would be causing this... I've heard its just a sensor that will need changing?

when my odometer stopped working i was told that the same sensor that drives it also drives the spedo itself....so if your still getting a speed reading then its not the sensor...unless i was told the wrong thing.

From what i looked into its likely to be the cogs themself inside the speedomoter. Basically have to pull it apart and see if anything looks out of place(google it theres heaps there although not skyline specific its all the same)

Having said that i CBF and after about 6weeks it started working again on its own!!

I have had my Skyline for six years and up till 120,000k's it did this on a regular basis. After a couple of days it will start working again or maybe a week who knows. On one occassion it didn't work for two weeks and then I started it after filling up and it spun the dials till it caught up with the k's I'd done. I was amazed when that happened. Also, your tacho may stop working intermittantly but will start on it's own. If you have had a unichip or PFC installed this is usually the culprit as wires have been tampered with especially with the unichip. With the tacho just take ECU out and put back just enough to move wires around. Of course like me you need to at some stage go through all wiring at the ECU and check for faults then resolder and heat shrink wrap.

yeah mate, the problem is in the speedo. there is a gear that runs of a motor that turns the numbers over. i'm pretty sure it is the same size gear in most other cars. (eg commodores, falcons etc.) do plenty of these at work. its only a plastic gear, so it breaks easy over time. an auto elect should be able to do it for you, just make sure he removes all of the broken teeth. it only takes 1 to stop the ordometer from working. hope this helps.

speedo cable is broken at back of instrument cluster, best to buy new cable from nissan $100 than to use 2nd hand one, its bout an hour job to replace
They're electronic R33's dont use a cable...

+1

He also didn't say his speedo stopped working.

• 3 weeks later...