SAU Community

To Hicas, Or Not To Hicas

Stealthed

He's right it does work at low speeds. I think its called opposite phase or somethin at low speeds. It turns the wheels the opposite direction to the front wheels at low speeds. and at high speeds in turns them in the same direction as the front wheels.

Or if you don't enjoy unexpectedly being wrapped around a pole if you can't help booting it around corners. :)

It's not that it 'has a mind of its own' every time u boot it around corners. Sometimes it does it and you won't realise. But in my case when it swung me lane to lane, you obvs realise it and it becomes a hazard. I just got lucky, if it kept oversteering about 20cm more I woulda wound up over the box curb in the bushes. No point fitting it in after you crash it. Rather be safe than sorry imo.

Edited by Magic

it does work at low speeds because if i slow down for a turn and then gun it round the bend quickly it brings my back end round nicely, sometimes im not sure if it is the HICAS or me losing traction. i quite like it but then i have not had the car going hard round a track or a skid pan yet. am booked in to take it on the skid pan at AHG next month so i will have a better idea then and make my mind up wether i still like it.

That doesn't make sense.. HICAS would be working whether you gunned it or not (if it did in fact work at slow speed) and it wouldn't suddenly snap in when you apply the gas.. sudden dynamic steering changes mid corner upon application of accelerator? lolwut? do you have traction control on when doing this? Maybe it works differently on 34s? I'm still rather certain HICAS (at least in 32s) does nothing at low speed.

Found this, it pertains to HICAS in 240sx's.. can't be assed researching more right now.. so the question for now is: what is "moderate" speed?

Performance%20Tuning%20Systems%20HICAS%20explanation.jpg

Edited by bubba

Did some more research on it too and this website on the 240SX HICAS justifies mine, Ruckers and Steve's theory on it. And if it does this on the s13 it would no doubt have the same effect on 32s and above.

http://www.240edge.com/basics/super-hicas.html

Not sure how credible it is though. Would prefer to see pictures/info from Nissan itself.

I guess it doesn't really matter if it does/doesn't work at low speeds as its not really the issue. At the end of the day, lockbar is the go.

That image I posted above is from Nissan..

As for the speedo, it depends what has stopped working.. if it's the cable then no, HICAS won't work and neither will your speed sensitive steering. If the problem is after the cable (i.e. the speedo itself) then HICAS and speed sensitivy steering should still work (n.b. this only applies to S13/R32)

im having problems with my electric HICAS on my 33 ... it comes on after turning off the engine for a short while, im probably gonna

get a HICAS lockbar and lock the crap out of it !!!!! KYP in Wealshpool quote me 170 fitted .... is that an alright price ??

cheers

wtf? what makes you say HICAS is killing the engine?

that sounds pretty fkn strange..

no no .. nothing to do with killing the engine, just that when i drive around and i switch my car off for awhile ... when i come back and

switch the car back on the HICAS lights comes on and i lose the power steering.. LOL

Lol, thas kind of like mine atm.

I will be driving and the steering is a bit resistant then hicas light comes on and become some what hard to steer lol so

Im just getting the whole thing removed That way i save precious Kg's :D

It will all be fixed soon!!! ;)

ive teared it up @ ahg skid pan day and ive still got my hicas active. It didnt bother me too much tho. But then again it depends on what "high" speed and "moderate" speed is...

Top speed on a skid pan day if ur lucky is 100kmh.

Only to then slam the brakes and rip around the corner.

Booked in another one in dec... see how that one goes.

ive teared it up @ ahg skid pan day and ive still got my hicas active. It didnt bother me too much tho. But then again it depends on what "high" speed and "moderate" speed is...

Top speed on a skid pan day if ur lucky is 100kmh.

Only to then slam the brakes and rip around the corner.

Booked in another one in dec... see how that one goes.

you doing it on the 14th of December? im booked in to do it then.

you doing it on the 14th of December? im booked in to do it then.
Don't you mean the 13th Dec? or is this not the SAUWA day?

If you mean the 13th like bubba said, then yep i am booked in then. The arvo session tho..

If you mean the 13th like bubba said, then yep i am booked in then. The arvo session tho..

Nah sunday 14th not the SAUWA one. my parents got me it for my birthday. was ment to do it on the 16th of this month but coil packs went on me so had to move it to next month.

im having the same issues want to remove mine aswell,..to dangerous in the wet when sideways gets to unpredictable hicas gets confused..but i have a feeling that mine is affecting my powersteering as it gets really hard..almost like no powersteering at all..when car is just started in the morning the powersteering works fine but afta a while goes hard..has anyone else had this problem or could it be sum other electrical issues..