SAU Community

Shutter Noise And Loss Of Power

Elliot Wood

Hey Guys,

Im worried about a shutter like noise, and loss of power. It seems to be random and only ever happens when I dont have foot flat..

I recently got my R34 GTT serviced and got new coils cause they were f$%^'ed, not sure if it could be related though.

I have a gut feeling that it could be my turbo? But I wouldnt cound on my car knowledge.

Apart from coils my car is stock.

Any help on this would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I hope this is right spot to post.

Yeah Im not sure of exact speed (about 65-70) or revs but yes It feels its happening under the same conditions every time, then naturally I take foot off accelerator and then accelerate again and it goes away...

Its not heavy acceleration but I normally It would be well responcive, so I guess you could say high speed acceleration or high stress.

Edited by Elliot Wood

What's been done to the car?

I had a simliar issue which I fixed up on the dyno today... ended up being a lean spot between 3,500 and 4,000rpm. You'll find it's not a set speed zone, but a RPM zone as your engine revs + boost hit a specific area of the map that is bad / incomplete.

Please don't say your car is stock - if so, I wish you luck in the diagnosis :banana:

If it didn't happen before you got the aftermarket coils, then the chances of the fault being in the coilpacks themselves is quite significant.. I'd get them checked out. By the looks of it, you might've got your mits on a bogus set of coilpacks..

What are they, Splitfire, JJR??

off topic but on a related note, ive recently noticed my car at about 5k revs lose power and make a noise like trying to crank over a engine with a dead battery (kind of its a bit different but thats the best comparison i can think of)

Im guessing its the coilpacks? i believe mine are standard so i was gonna upgrade to splitfire ones.

Sound about right to you guys?

Yeah cheers guys, Iv got car booked into guy that did coils originally for monday.

Hopefully my car doesnt die before then.

Once hes fixed ill get him to tell my what was goin on and ill let yas know.

Edited by Elliot Wood