SAU Community

R33 Automatic Acceleration Lag

thurrzor

hello, i drive a 1993 R33 GTS automatic, and i jst wanted to find out about a small problem i have. whenever i put my foot down a bit on the pedal to accelerate it lags then speeds up after like, a second, then kicks in. on first gear it revs to about 6000 rpm then changes gears and i found that a bit much. second and third do the same and change at high revs.

i asked a mechanic what was up with that and to just check it, and he said he changed this on the front of the engine block (srry im not that great under the hood) *refer to pic* from the top line (original way) to the bottom line (what he changed it to). it seemed to do nothing, if anything make it a little worse.

after that, at times when i turn on the car it idles at aroud 1000 rpm, then after a while idling it drops a little, stays down a bit then goes up after a while back to 1000 rpm. if anyone has any ideas on whats wrong please let me know, i dont really like the lag when i speed up. my mums vr commodore speeds up way better than mine lol

thanks

post-44558-1227949538_thumb.jpg

....aka. crank angle sensor (CAS)

Go back to your mechanic and ask what he set the timing at...think the RB25DE should have a base timing of 15degrees.

hello, i drive a 1993 R33 GTS automatic, and i jst wanted to find out about a small problem i have. whenever i put my foot down a bit on the pedal to accelerate it lags then speeds up after like, a second, then kicks in. on first gear it revs to about 6000 rpm then changes gears and i found that a bit much. second and third do the same and change at high revs.

There's your problem there >_<

The stock auto trans are slow and do take a sec to change gears. Try having the O/D button OFF...that should help reduce your 'acceleration lag', also it will rev out higher. For quicker gear changes get an upgraded valve body/ shift kit...do search in the Group Buy section if you want more details. Also ~6K+ rpm before changing gears sounds normally if you have ya foot planted; or do you mean it will only change gears when you rev to 6K rpm?

I think thats normal. My auto R33 does something similar.

Although I have never really floored it from 1st gear, what I found was that if I was driving along at 60km/h (auto is in 3rd gear) then I floor it to over take a truck, it won't accelerate hard right away, rather it will shift down a gear to 2nd, which takes a second or so then accelerate hard.

So there is that 1 sec lag or so...