SAU Community

Clutch Issues - Is This Normal?

kwl33

Hey all, I noticed today that when Im idling sometimes, it sits about 800 900 rpms, when I push the clutch in in neutral, nothing happens, but when I push it into any gear while still holding the clutch fully in, the revs drop to about 500 - 550 rpms. Are the revs supposed to drop when the clutch is fully in? the car does not pull forward at all so it doesnt appear to be grabbing, so yeah, is that normal?

Oh yer , its a r33 gts-t

cheers.

That behavior sounds abnormal...do you hear any other sounds?

If you release your foot off the brake does the car hold it position / move forward ? Ie. is it any different to neutral?

Car stays in position, doesnt move at all on flat ground with the brake off.

Doesnt crunch in any gear or reverse either.

Tried it again this afternoon and it was'nt doing it anymore, my line might have a couple of intermittent gremlins.

I forgot to mention, its probably unrelated but it sometimes crunches a little when going into 5th gear - probably once a week.

Car stays in position, doesnt move at all on flat ground with the brake off.

Doesnt crunch in any gear or reverse either.

Tried it again this afternoon and it was'nt doing it anymore, my line might have a couple of intermittent gremlins.

I forgot to mention, its probably unrelated but it sometimes crunches a little when going into 5th gear - probably once a week.

Do it grind 5th when you are doing irregularly fast speeds?

Do it grind 5th when you are doing irregularly fast speeds?

It does it regardless of speed and revs, even if I shift slowly into 5th it will sometimes grind a bit then go in,( with clutch all the way in)

Hmmm it sounds a bit weird. Does it idle hunt when you turn the AC?

I sometimes get the 5th gear cruch too.. but thats only if im boosting hard, and i havent pushed the clutch in fully. oops. :)

If you have the clutch fully in, and you put her into 5th slow, and it still cruches, maybe your clutch needs bleeding/adjusting, thats what i did to mine, except it only happened in reverse sometimes.

Hmmm it sounds a bit weird. Does it idle hunt when you turn the AC?

I sometimes get the 5th gear cruch too.. but thats only if im boosting hard, and i havent pushed the clutch in fully. oops. :P

If you have the clutch fully in, and you put her into 5th slow, and it still cruches, maybe your clutch needs bleeding/adjusting, thats what i did to mine, except it only happened in reverse sometimes.

/\

|| I thought It was me not pushing the clutch in too, but I double checked when the pedal has been fully to the floor and still done it.

Idle is fine with the A/C, I might try bleeding the clutch, although it seems ok, I had to adjust the pedal when i first got the car as the previous owner had it going all the way to the floor to engage the clutch, i adjusted it so it is about half way, the clutch is about 6 months old, previous owner had the flywheel machined, heavy duty organic clutch installed.

Could it be just due for a fluid change? I hav'nt looked at the gearbox oil yet ( got the car last month - bad of me I know)