SAU Community

Ugly Ass Noise On Cold Startup

i get the same noise too..my engine is also rb25-det..coz of the dam cold weather happening nowadays in sydney for the past week..i think its the starter motor shaking off the freezyness when u start the car aheheheh

other than just give the car a warm up b4 u go and it should be fine

+1 for another ugly ass noise that coincided with winter this year. Grinding front front of engine bay but have not pin ponted it yet, goes away after a few seconds but 'clue' when i turn the wheel as i drive off when all is still cold the grinding \ dry\stuffed bearing noise can be heard.. goes away after 1 miin tops..

P/s pump fubar u think? Checked fluid level, its dark\dirty looking liquid and just under full, probably 10+years old though

series 1 rb25det

I had a bit of a look at it to see how to purge the old fluid and put fresh stuff in but alas, could not see how. rum may not have assisted here. search time, but tips welcome :P

would it hurt to put some 5w-30 or 5w-40 in there on the next service? i know it sounds unlikely as lots of users on here with the same engine use that oil and don't have any problems. but remember no 2 engines are identical.

my daily has worn rings, so i listened to my mechanic and put some slightly thicker oil in it, it would always make weird noises on cold start ups for a few seconds, so i changed to oil to 1 with a lighter cold weight and she doesnt make any noises no more. at least it would rule that out.

-a bit off topic this is regarding engine oils - http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?...highlight=motor

quoted from that site --> "People think in terms of the oil thinning when it gets hot, they think this thinning with heat is the problem with motor oil. It is more correct to think that oil thickens when it cools and THIS is the problem" -this may be the problem as a few people said they've just started hearing noises in winter

Edited by jimmys-33T

def your starter motor.. i think i know the sound youre talking about.. I get that too.. for a split sec. that distinctive grinding sound

may just need a clean out, or could be the cold weather. Over here in nz, it hits around -2 where i live. The noise only happens when i first start her up in the daytime sometime.