SAU Community

-10's

Dearlove

in the early stages of getting together a 26/30

theory is if i mod my 32, with things that i can use on a 30 as well

i know -10 will be fairly laggy on my stock 26 but i only want to buy it once...

im aiming for (in the 26/30) bout 500hp atw with as much torque as possible, building this sucker for the hills, with stock crank and forged rod and pistons.

question is by changing the exhaust manifold will i get alot more torque?? oh and is it as a rule of thumb, the higher to cp the higher the torque but the lower the max hp??

Edited by Dearlove

Ah great, another GTR being built for hills. The ONLY reason i still have mine is the fun it can be on the right hills :P

Ive done a lot (days and days worth) of thinking about what would be unbeatable up hill runs, here are my thoughts;

-Full built RB2630 with stock crank, mild ported head, no bigger than 270deg cams, 2860-7's,

-Full built RB2630 with stock crank, heavily ported head, 270deg huge lift cams, 2860-5's

-Full built RB2630 with stock crank, mild ported head, 260deg cams with huge lift, R34 N1's

Id imagine any of those would be uncatchable.

To answer your question though, i would suggest 2860-5's instead of the -10's. There's plenty of street GTR's (2.6L) using the -5's and seeing some pretty great results. Ive been in a couple with the -5's and they haul ass in a big way. Yes the -10's will give you higher numbers but the thing is, if you're going after 500hp at the treads just for mountain runs there's no point having unrequired lag on your way to 500hp.

Id be going;

-Mild head porting

-Tomei 260 10.8mm lift cams

-Tomei buckets

-Tomei springs

-Stock exhaust manifolds port matched and ceramic coated

-Tomei dumps ceramic coated

-Ceramic coated front pipes (whatever brand, just good flowing)

-Dash 5's

-9.0:1 CR or higher

plus all the usual shit :P

Here's a question i asked in the main Mod forum but there has been no response so i'll ask it here. Just substitute RB26/30 where you see RB26/GTR as i'm really more interested in how responsive they will be on a 26/30.

There is a turbo in the Garrett range between the -5 (GT2860R 62 Trim) and the -10 (GT2871R 52 Trim), that being the GT2871R 48 Trim. Garrett has rated it to 400HP (they rate the -10 to 460HP), i was wondering if anyone has ran one of these on a GTR as i can imagine they would be a lot more responsive than the -10 and would yield a lot more power that the -5. To run one of these though, you would have to get Garrett to modify a -5 compressor housing to fit if you want to retain the factory piping but they would be willing to do it and I wouldn't imaging it would cost much.

GT2871R 48T 400hp

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...1R_743347_1.htm

Vs'

GT2871R 52T-10 460hp each

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...R_707160_10.htm

I'm looking at building a RB26/30DETT at some stage in the not too distant future and i and seriously looking at running these on that as i imagine that the response of the 48Trim's on a 3 litre would be similar to that of a set of -5 on a 2.6 litre.

Edited by D_Stirls

ya links didnt work mate

thanks steve-o, yeah the hill runs are what these cars are about!!!

so -5 will see me to 500hp easily enough??? well thats got me sorted then.

so whats the best way to maximise the torque?? high cp and ported head??