SAU Community

Police Correspondence

Nene260RS

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wouldn't mind asking if there is any discussion of mod plates in south australia? I have no doubt that it works in Queensland?

this is something a local MP could bring up the place that counts. i for one would be all for mod plates

this is something a local MP could bring up the place that counts. i for one would be all for mod plates

That would solve alot of the reasonless defects going on, and keep us honest.

why dont we chip in and hire a hall or something so we can all attend and ask questions like they do on 60 minutes etc etc ?

that way everyone gets the right information straight from the source

It wouldn't be a meeting for everyone to attend hun, it would be a meeting where some selected members can voice our opinions. There will probably only be Neil and another officer there.

QUOTE (DamageInc @ 13 Jan 2009, 06:08 PM) *

why dont we chip in and hire a hall or something so we can all attend and ask questions like they do on 60 minutes etc etc ?

that way everyone gets the right information straight from the source

It wouldn't be a meeting for everyone to attend hun, it would be a meeting where some selected members can voice our opinions. There will probably only be Neil and another officer there.

I could just see neil rolling up to what looks like a mob lynching and half the SAU members there, now that would get us somewhere. :)

well, the system as it is doesnt work.

IF you could garner support from a Member of parliment to attend this meeting, it could possibly be the start to better things for the SA motor enthusiests

it only takes the initiation of 1 to move the mountain

I agree with Ben.. i seem to be increasingly reading about inconsistent and unnecessary defects being handed out. Serious clarification to what is deemed as illegal and defetable items needs to happen. However, if someone does get defected for something obviously illegal, then they should just accept what happened and deal with it.

I would like to know how officers are trained when it comes to defecting vehicles.

im not so sure i trust their pressence to be in a positive maner, but on our side if they did go on blitz mode it will ruin any chance they have of creating a police relationship with any car club for quite some time.

not so sure that would bother them though

i just thought id mention again they can bring up a plate number on the pc and flag it to be pulled over for defect next time the cars spotted, friend thats a cop mentioned that 1. this would allow them to play it off as unrelated to the cruise.

it is a very interesting prospect however, good luck guys

I'm quite happy to work and cooperate with police... but not with neil. I think i made myself pretty clear that i was defected for stuff that didn't exist, which was later confirmed by guy at regency, and not to mention all the abuse i had to take from this guy. No, but sorry, I'll pass on this. I'm not bad mouthing him, just setting the facts straight.

I'm so sick of hearing this "a cop can defect you on suspicion if he wants to..."

HOW is this legal?! How can they possibly do this?! Is it really a law?!

What, so it's okay to pull over someone, spend 30 minutes looking for a possible defect - can't find one, so they blatantly abuse their level of power and think "Yeah, why not" and slap on a sticker for a suspicion of defect!!!

Well, if that's the case... I suspect all those people down the beach I saw tonight have committed a murder... but they can't be sent to court on suspicion of murder, can they?! No. So why is it that they're allowed to say, after thoroughly checking over a innocent car, say "Yeah, I reckon you're packing a set of twin low-mounts in this beast... I'm going to send you to Regency" and then slap on the sticker to a little Toyota Corolla?! It's a slap in the face.

It's not right.

Can this please be raised? The laws/opinions/how often it happens, with this suspicion of defect crap?

Can someone also ask in what regards are we allowed to voice our opinion when having the car checked over?

I once got defected for a boost gauge on my dash in the crash zone. Okay, fair defect. But the cop said "You have 2 tacho's here mate..." and I said "Oh, that's a boost gauge" and he instantly came back with "Don't give me attitude mate. I know what I'm talking about okay. If you proceed with that, I'll make you tow this car to the inspection."

How is that fair?! He asked me a question, I co-operated with no attitude, and I got that?!

Are we permitted to even speak or make corrections when having the car looked over?!

I personally think SAU is one of the more mature clubs, if we could get some feedback from the police on what modifications they permit (providing there is some consistency around this) i'd be more than happy to oblige. I've got no quarms with our local police, they've saved me in situations far more serious than this, and gotten to know a few personally... i'd really appreciate an opportunity to work closer with them also.

It may also be worthwhile contacting our Minister for Transport Pat Conlon for his input.

This is cool to have a response. Tho I know that some cars have been defected for ADR approved items (such as braided brake lines) which begs the question whether there are more laws onto of the ADR's (which as I understand it, are separate to state roadworthiness guidelines - federal roadworthiness guide is rather thin compared to the state one)...

I'd like to know if the police are aware of any plans to nationalise the roadworthiness scheme rather than having a huge disparity between the states. I here rumors here and there but nothing concrete.

I'd also like to know what the police's input into motor racing venues are, given the debate in the other thread about WA's motorplex

Would be curious to see if Neil has any statistics about makes and models of cars defected, to see if there's patterns or not, as I wonder if the old shitboxes attract as much attention as imports.

-D

That last question would be a good one to put to him even if it's just to put some of your minds at rest.

seems to me your asking permission to run cruises, with illegal cars, and not get any defects?

its the law, seriously, fighting it will do nothing. if you drive illegal cars be prepared to pay the price.

surely im not the only one that thinks this?

Correct Tim.

The answer to his expectations lies in the sentence extracted from his response to Nene.

I inspect several vehicles a day and those who do not meet ADR's receive a defect.

Now he's clearly a traffic constable that may not have an issue with the SAU cruises as long as the vehicles that attend comply with ADR's and the members comply with road regs. He may even turn a blind eye initially to a minor defect (not a major one) after making an effort to point it out to you, but you will then be required to attend to that matter immediately.

The one thing you shouldn't overlook is that Neil is not only obliged but required by law and his superiors to perform his paid duty.

Nene well done for your effort, Benny Boy must be very proud of you.

+1 SLED and Nightcrawler

-D

yep, need level headed ppl, that are articulate.

sled, nightcrawler and nene.

i would be happy to be represented by those three... wont need any more than that cos i reckon that would be counter-productive, no need to show up in force.

yep, need level headed ppl, that are articulate.

sled, nightcrawler and nene.

i would be happy to be represented by those three... wont need any more than that cos i reckon that would be counter-productive, no need to show up in force.

Thanks Carl,

I also believe Heslo should be there. He helped out with writing the email last night, and was the one who prompted me to write a second letter.