SAU Community

r33 turbo size

What size is the R33 gtst turbo's... either series one or 2.... if there is any difference...

and i know their cooler are small ineffiecnt etc etc

what what size and how well do they flow?

thanx in advance..

DOCTOR is correct.

The skyline turbo's (SKYLINE GTST anyway.. not the GTR) is a T3.

As for the wheels inside the turbo.

R32 GTST = T3, Steel blades on inlet, Ceramic blades on exhaust

R33 GTST series 1 = T3, Steel blades on inlet, Ceramic blades on exhaust.

R33 GTST series 2 = T3, Plastic blades on inlet, Ceramic blades on exhaust.

GTR's use 2 T28's.. don't know about the specs of the blades of the turbo.

Even though the R32 and R33 uses a T3 turbo housing the specs of the blades and the AR is different. You can usually make more power out of the T3 from the R33 engines..

Also, a lot of people don't like the idea of having a plastic wheel on the inlet side of the turbo as it is on the series 2 R33's.

The intercooler on the R33 is pretty useless if you start modifying.

I would say that once you do exhaust and filter on the R33's (or R32's for that matter), the intercooler is going to be on it's limit. And in Summer you are going to suffer a bit.

Did I miss anything?

ahh kewl kewl thanx

it waznt for me it waz for a mate who's brother is modifying a VLT

i knew the coolers were pathetic and the turbo's would max out about 180 rwkw... waznt too sure on the size....

:)

Guest Impul 25T

GTR's use T25's, except for the 34, the 400R and N1's.

Are you sure the turbo's are T3's? Wouldn't make for much of an upgrade putting a T3 on then would it? And I know of 25t's that have done this.

Also, the spec2 turbo is stronger by virtue of the compressor being bonded to the shaft, not fitted.

There are different versions of T3's

Take the T3 from a VL turbo commodore for instance.. It can support more power than the T3 stuck to the RB20DET.

Or the T3 from the Ford Sierra's...

T3 only refers to the turbo housing.. it could have different blades on the inlet and exhaust side to produce more power.

So getting a T3 from a different car and having it on the RB25DET COULD be worth while.

Like alot of people do the upgrade of getting the T3 off the nissan VG30DET (old 300zx with the single turbo) and puting it on the RB20DET cause THAT T3 flows much better than the T3 on the Stock RB20DET.

Guest Impul 25T
Originally posted by Doctor

Thats why people always go the T3/4 or the TO4.  

If they werent T3 they would be an upgrade for a silvia etc but they are totally different and dont fit.

Doc

That could have something to do with the flange patterns being different.

Do you mean that the only turbo's that RB25 and RB20's can have, has to have a T3 exhaust?

Not at all, I've got a larger turbo than that... If you do decide to go larger, you just have to look at fabricating a new exhaust manifold, or have an adapter plate made so that you can fit the new manifold flange.

You'll also find that the dump and intake sides are both different too, so new piping will probably need to be made up on either side.

matt

Originally posted by Impul 25T

Do you mean that the only turbo's that RB25 and RB20's can have, has to have a T3 exhaust?