SAU Community

Motec M48

danny14

hey guys i am going to buy a m48 motec for my skyline r33 gts 25 t wat i was wondering with it is

*does it fit in any car and does it have to have specific software for particular car

*is it easy to tune ?

*does it have a map sensor to go with it ? and how many bar is it.is the map sensor built into the unit>?

*what are they really worth ?

*do you have to run wires into the engine bay ?or can u wire it into where the standard ecu sits ?

*can you get a plug and play adapter ?

if any one can help would be much appreciated

thanks

hey guys i am going to buy a m48 motec for my skyline r33 gts 25 t wat i was wondering with it is

I've run an M48 Pro with all options enabled for a number of years now (note: non-turbo car)

*does it fit in any car and does it have to have specific software for particular car

The M48 will pretty much run any engine, but is essentially an 'expanded' M4 with the ability to run full sequential injection on a 6-cylinder engine. Unless things have changed since I got mine, they don't provide specific maps for particular cars/engines (that's understandable when you realise the number of potential applications.....).

*is it easy to tune ?

It's relatively easy for someone that knows what they're doing. The quick lambda function helps quite a lot. My engine was tuned using an engine dyno.

*does it have a map sensor to go with it ? and how many bar is it.is the map sensor built into the unit>?

Unless things have changed at Motec, then the answer is no. Motec charge you for the bare ECU + whatever options you want (eg wide band control, traction control, whatever), but then hit you for a loom, sensors, etc. It gets expensive, but the best isn't cheap. It's cheaper to get your own sensors and in the case of MAP sensors the GM type is readily available and reasonably cheap.

*what are they really worth ?

How long is a piece of string ??.....Motec costs more because they are the best and come with support second to none (in my experience). They are 'worth' what people will pay for them, to perhaps state the bleeding obvious.

*do you have to run wires into the engine bay ?or can u wire it into where the standard ecu sits ?

Generally you'd buy a Motec loom to suit your application and wire it where you want the ECU to be placed. Putting it where the original ECU was located makes sense, and, yes, the wires would need to pass through the firewall but since you'd be replacing much of the original loom anyway, you'd just run the replacement loom in place of the original. Another option would be to do a cut and shut job using the original loom.

*can you get a plug and play adapter ?

Not that I'm aware of. Keep in mind that Motec ECU's are designed for racing applications and in most cases are illegal for use in a road car. At one point Motec were offering a service to tune ECU's to meet emission standards, but the ECU once tuned had to be locked, which sort of defeats the purpose.

I've run an M48 Pro with all options enabled for a number of years now (note: non-turbo car)

The M48 will pretty much run any engine, but is essentially an 'expanded' M4 with the ability to run full sequential injection on a 6-cylinder engine. Unless things have changed since I got mine, they don't provide specific maps for particular cars/engines (that's understandable when you realise the number of potential applications.....).

It's relatively easy for someone that knows what they're doing. The quick lambda function helps quite a lot. My engine was tuned using an engine dyno.

Unless things have changed at Motec, then the answer is no. Motec charge you for the bare ECU + whatever options you want (eg wide band control, traction control, whatever), but then hit you for a loom, sensors, etc. It gets expensive, but the best isn't cheap. It's cheaper to get your own sensors and in the case of MAP sensors the GM type is readily available and reasonably cheap.

How long is a piece of string ??.....Motec costs more because they are the best and come with support second to none (in my experience). They are 'worth' what people will pay for them, to perhaps state the bleeding obvious.

Generally you'd buy a Motec loom to suit your application and wire it where you want the ECU to be placed. Putting it where the original ECU was located makes sense, and, yes, the wires would need to pass through the firewall but since you'd be replacing much of the original loom anyway, you'd just run the replacement loom in place of the original. Another option would be to do a cut and shut job using the original loom.

Not that I'm aware of. Keep in mind that Motec ECU's are designed for racing applications and in most cases are illegal for use in a road car. At one point Motec were offering a service to tune ECU's to meet emission standards, but the ECU once tuned had to be locked, which sort of defeats the purpose.

You deserve a prize for one of the most comprehensive and to the point answers I have seen in ages - makes a change from "yes I've got one and they're the greatest" or "don't get one they're s**t" or "use the search button".

i have an m48 in my hr31. Its a great piece of gear. It is a little frustrating that an ecu that expensive has everything as an optional extra. I also have a tech edge lambda plugged into mine as its far cheaper than buying the motec wideband sensor and i get a digital readout in realtime. They do now offer some plug in options i think for wrx and evo but that's the extent of it to my knowledge.

antz