SAU Community

M-m-m-m-m-motorkhana!

scandyflick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the DSTROY final run of the day that had everyone cheering! Great day, got sunburnt again. Post up some pics.

LOL! just waiting for Luke to upload the vid. I got a vid of your last run, but it wasn't the best.

hey chad, shame you only got video of half of the last run... you really had it sorted out by then.

A bit of advice for others planning on giving it a go, the best thing to do is to really commit yourself to the corner - the harder you chuck it in the better the handbrake will work - most people have trouble to start with cause they run of of speed and only slide half way around the corner before the car stops (or they arnt aggressive enough when they put the power back on, the rear grips up, the front end lifts and you understeer way wide of the cone) . If you keep your momentum up (even if you over drive a bit) its easeir to keep it flowing... then you just slowly dial it back and work on your throttle control to get it all as straight as you can - straighter is faster, but not as much fun.

Also for those wanting to enter:

It really does not matter what event you go to, anyone is welcome to any round, doesnt matter if you have never driven a car before.

Do not be worried about if your car is good enough, the surface is very slippery and smooth so you dont need big HP (anything over 60kw/tonne is generally more than enough to keep it sideways...

You also don't need anything fancy suspension wise - I have been doing it for 5 years and come second in my class in the aus champs last year with only kyb stuts (not coilovers) and swaybars.... you do not have to have coilovers etc to be compeditive. There are plenty of people at regular round still driving on their cars original 30 year old shocks and springs...

What you do need is:

CAMS affiliated club licence (from $50/year)

Non Speed licence or better (from about $44/year)

$25 to enter for the day

It is by far the cheapest motorsport around, A typical day would cost me under $75 - $25 to enter, $25 for fuel(inc driving from gawler), $10 for lunch (they have a BBQ and coke machine on site) $15 worth of tyres - if you have a spare set of rims a set of second hand tyres down to the wear markers will last you all year.

Scott - the guy in the white s14....

Edited by samstain

Scott - the guy in the white s14....

Your totally right, I started out to soft and was having trouble getting the car to slide. When i started to push harder it became a lot easier. My last run i pulled the fuse and put it in RWD for a bit of fun, i should have done the whole day like it :laugh:

yep, ABS and sability/traction control fuses should also be ripped if you have them :laugh:

for the 4wd guys its even more important that you really chuck the car at the corner - and are aggressive with the clutch (if your drive line can take it), it seems there is a very fine line between dumping the clutch and the car spinning on the spot (good), or being a bit less aggressive and getting massive understear and heading for a curb at high speed (bad). There were a couple guys out there in evo's today doing it really well getting good controlled 4 wheel slides, occasionally they got caught out though - especially one of the WRX's, they went to flick it around the corner and rather than the back end whipping round it gripped up and launched the car towards the curb.

if your taking a 4wd car its probably a good idea to put some crappy tyres on the back (or all round) and pump them up hard.

yep, ABS and sability/traction control fuses should also be ripped if you have them :laugh:

for the 4wd guys its even more important that you really chuck the car at the corner - and are aggressive with the clutch (if your drive line can take it), it seems there is a very fine line between dumping the clutch and the car spinning on the spot (good), or being a bit less aggressive and getting massive understear and heading for a curb at high speed (bad). There were a couple guys out there in evo's today doing it really well getting good controlled 4 wheel slides, occasionally they got caught out though - especially one of the WRX's, they went to flick it around the corner and rather than the back end whipping round it gripped up and launched the car towards the curb.

if your taking a 4wd car its probably a good idea to put some crappy tyres on the back (or all round) and pump them up hard.

cheers for all the info you've posted so far mate , its got me bugging to get out there in my skyline and give it a go !

should put some stiff ass swaybars in the rolla n throw it around :laugh:

used to love doing the marshalling for the porsche club at their gym-khanas. that was back in the day when the misti factory in lonsdale was still open... the surface at monarto looks far better for it

were a couple guys out there in evo's today doing it really well getting good controlled 4 wheel slides, occasionally they got caught out though

I was one of the Evo guys who got caught out. LOL

Was a top day. Dstroy really had it by the short and curleys all day. Looked awsome

+1 Dave

I am thinking of joining you now in this event mate

looks like a good day of fun

ps if i do go into this event i will be shit house but dont really care

Edited by Krishy

haha, im expecting to look like the noobest mofo out, but im still gonna go and rock out with my cock out. :)

and ill drag along others to take epic snaps, and have their cars available for holding eskys. :)

haha, im expecting to look like the noobest mofo out, but im still gonna go and rock out with my cock out. :)

and ill drag along others to take epic snaps, and have their cars available for holding eskys. :)

let me know if your going to enter and we shall do it together....

i mean go to motorkhana together

aww, you got my hopes up for moment there krish. :)

haha, will def let you know, aiming for the end of april, gives me enough time to sort a few things out.

got msn? add me up and we can sort something out.

([email protected])

yeah, its a fair winning email addy.

\

and ill drag along others to take epic snaps, and have their cars available for holding eskys. ;)

Of course those esky's would only be for cheese platters and soft drinks? :)

The BIGW complex is private property - and a total dry zone... drivers can be breath tested, and no alcohol is allowed on site - including for spectators.

We are very lucky to have access to the complex and need to be very carefull that we don't loose the privelage. BigW basically get nothing in return for allowing us access - so its only going to take one incident and they could easily decide its not worth the risk. If that happens we might have to drive to Mt Gambier to do motorkhana in SA. :)

Of course those esky's would only be for cheese platters and soft drinks? :)

The BIGW complex is private property - and a total dry zone... drivers can be breath tested, and no alcohol is allowed on site - including for spectators.

of course mate. im not the type to drink and then go anywhere near a car. let alone at a dry zone. just gotta keep my water and redbull cool. :)

hell, i welcome breath testing at events like this, i wouldnt wanna be the one to screw it all up, id hate to be on the receiving end of that much anger...

No worries, just want to give a head up and make sure your mates know.

We have never have any trouble with drivers at events like these, but quite often spectators (that don't attend the drivers briefing etc) are un-aware of the rules and regulations.

Thongs are probably another thing to be aware of, they mentioned appropriate footware at the briefing yesterday for drivers, im pretty sure the same would apply for spectators - it is a fairly industrial type worksite, so im sure they dont want people wandering around in the grass in bare feet and thongs...