SAU Community

Touchscreen Navi

researching this now. if there is an interest then I'll go ahead with it. box that I intend to use WILL play movies as well. it will use the OE screen and I'll make a blanking plate for the OE controls.

rough costing is in the $1-2K mark and will cover both generations.

I have a full replacement solution in the works as well. more info on that later.

so do I have interest?

This will make things much easier. I'll register interest for sure.

Will it be any less if we already have your current system installed (ie will it make the job easier for you)?

Damn, why not come up with this earlier , Chris... lol ha ha.

I will register interest too since my 1st gen GVN52 is still not loud enough and routing it throu dtv av1 kind of make it fiddly to use.

Rianto

it would be a all in one box. no splitting it up. I have the other unit here now. picked it up this morn.

it would be a rework on some of the cars.

rianto. it would fix your volume issue as well ( I now have a FULL navi setup out of an 03 so thats what I'm basing this on.)

Danny (sydney)

its still at concept stage - not likely to go into production for at least 8-12 months. in that time I'll probably rework it 3-4 times to get it stable. so if you are going to buy a car based on this alone - dont.

Edited by Chris Rogers

its a full rework unless I can get more info on the GVN53 units. garmin aren't too forthgiving with that info..

current box I have in mind is entirely different. overlays are proving to be a pain as the early screens ARE NOT a true 7" screen.

is this replacing the OE screen with a touch screen that fits into the original screen housing, or somehow sticking a layer of transparent touch screen (if that technology exist - i believe it does) on top of OE screen?

ok - using the OE screen is out as far as I'm concerned. size of screen (6.9" diagonal) stops me from finding an overlay that fits. I can get one done but at $800 a shot and a minimum of 5000 I dont see it happening for the 2001-2004 cars.

I do have a rough price on the replacement system (box only no screen) and that comes in at $2kish loaded.