SAU Community

Stupid Question, How To Get The Radio Out Of A Ceffy

Lum

On most Jap cars I've worked on, you took the radio out by first pulling off the surround from around the gearstick, then pulling out the facia from around the radio itself, from there you could access the screws that hold the radio in.

Doesn't seem to work on the Ceffy, there must be a screw hidden somewhere that I haven't found. What do I do?

This tape player is doing my head in as I only own one tape and the radio uses the wrong frequencies and thus can only pick up Radio 2 or some encrypted air traffic control stuff.

On most Jap cars I've worked on, you took the radio out by first pulling off the surround from around the gearstick, then pulling out the facia from around the radio itself, from there you could access the screws that hold the radio in.

Doesn't seem to work on the Ceffy, there must be a screw hidden somewhere that I haven't found. What do I do?

This tape player is doing my head in as I only own one tape and the radio uses the wrong frequencies and thus can only pick up Radio 2 or some encrypted air traffic control stuff.

Sounds like you're doing it right. Did you get the screw behind the ash tray?

Haven't found any screws at all. Will look for one around the ash tray. Is there just that one?

Also, so I can prepare in advance, is the wiring harness adaptor the same one as on an S13?

Well, I took the ashtray out, undid the 4 screws that are hiding in that area.

Got the gearstick surround out and now I'm stuck, there appears to be something holding it in place at the back of the gearstick where the two halves joined.

I undid the 6 screws holding that surround to the transmission tunnel and the back section (by the rear ashtray) can lift up but is stuck at the join in the middle, and the front section can't move at all, and again appears to be stuck at the join in the middle.

What now?

Well, I took the ashtray out, undid the 4 screws that are hiding in that area.

Got the gearstick surround out and now I'm stuck, there appears to be something holding it in place at the back of the gearstick where the two halves joined.

I undid the 6 screws holding that surround to the transmission tunnel and the back section (by the rear ashtray) can lift up but is stuck at the join in the middle, and the front section can't move at all, and again appears to be stuck at the join in the middle.

What now?

I think this is everything. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2nk5kar.jpg

23m3lhg.jpg

Mine isn't like that.

Two of the screws that were under the ashtray allowed the gearstick surround to come off, then when the ashtray was removed two screws either side of where the ashtray slides into should in theory allow the front facia to come off but it doesn't. I guess the facelift Ceffy is different?

This is the best pic I could get, will try again when it's light.

Ceffy_centreconsole.jpg

The worst part is the bit of plastic that surrounds the radio itself is part of the same piece of plastic that extends under the dash and down the side of the gearstick surround. Is that how it is on the Laurel too?

How do I get the radio out of a Laurel? ;)

Edit: Just had a brainwave and looked it up on FAST.

This is going to be a right bastard of a job

Ceffy_consolediagram.PNG

Looks like the front piece hooks in under the rear one which needs to come out first, and that's bloody hard to do as the chair blocks access to two of the screws.

What I didn't know about is the false floor in the storage pocket that hides two more screws.

The handbrake release leaver is going to cause problems too.

Oh joy.

Edited by Lum

The worst part is the bit of plastic that surrounds the radio itself is part of the same piece of plastic that extends under the dash and down the side of the gearstick surround. Is that how it is on the Laurel too?

How do I get the radio out of a Laurel? :wave:

Edit: Just had a brainwave and looked it up on FAST.

This is going to be a right bastard of a job

Looks like the front piece hooks in under the rear one which needs to come out first, and that's bloody hard to do as the chair blocks access to two of the screws.

What I didn't know about is the false floor in the storage pocket that hides two more screws.

The handbrake release leaver is going to cause problems too.

Oh joy.

Ah, automatic.. Have fun!

Sussed it out. Here is the procedure in case someone in the future needs it.

1) Remove ashtray.

2) Undo all 4 screws in the ashtray area.

3) Lift out the gearstick surround (from the ashtray edge), rotate 90 degrees and lift over gearstick.

4) Remove the 4 screws (2 each side) that hold the centre console to the transmission tunnel.

5) With the car in park and/or the brake applied, lift the handbrake release lever and unscrew the single screw holding it in (it's on the passenger side)

6) Put the handbrake back on and remove the handle from the handbrake release lever

7) This will give you enough leverage to pull out the plastic surround around the handbrake release, it will be very stiff

8) Now that this is out of the way, one more screw will be revealed, that is holding the armrest down, unscrew this and remove the armrest

9) grab the newly revealed part of the radio facia and pull it towards the back of the car, there are some clips around the radio area itself that need to come free, and some more clips along the sides where it meets the transmission tunnel

10) once the clips are all free, lift the part you are holding upwards over the gearstick and remove the facia

11) Now there are just 4 bolts holding the radio cage in place, unbolt these and pull the radio(s) out

Disassemble_console.PNG

Refitting is the reverse of removal, though lifting the handbrake lever is tricky, right in the middle is a tiny dark metal bar which you need to push in before you can lift the lever.

The wiring harness adaptor you need is the same as for an S13, or at least it's the same as a UK spec S13 200SX, however the ground pin is not wired up. I fixed this by cutting the black wire on my harness adaptor and soldering some extra wire to it which I took to one of the screws holding the gearstick directly to the chassis, I loosened this screw, wrapped the other end of the wire around it and tightened it again. If you wanted to do it properly you could crimp a ring terminal to go there or something like that.

Next job: Amplifier install and speaker upgrade

Edited by Lum