SAU Community

Need advise on new purchase!

I need some help here guys. I have just sold an investment property today and I have decided it is time to go fast. I have a dilemma though. Should I continue to mod my R33 GTST or go the GTR route. I have become very attached to my GTST but when I bought it, over 2 years ago now, there wasn't too many around, but now they are everywhere. Anyway I enjoy occasionally belting down the 1/4 and try and go to the sprint meets held every month at Queensland raceway. What do you think. If I keep the GTST I will probably spend $10k on finishing it off or buy a GTR put a full exhaust, air filter, powerfc, oil cooler and probably be at the same level, track time wise. Haven't decided between a 32 or 33 GTR yet, would love a 34 but they are still a little too much, I still want to buy another property afterwards. What do you think, keep modding the GTST or go the GTR???????

i had owned my r32 gtst for 3 and a half years up until 2 months ago when i traded it in on an r32 gtr. i had spent a fair bit on my gtst but when i drove the gtr there was not one thing on my gtst that could convince me to keep it over the gtr.

In summary the gtr would be the better choice and at the end of the day you will have a beeter car. gts-t to gtr is becoming a natural progression for a lot of skyline owners.

For me I would say go the GTR but I have one so am biased. I just think it is a better base with the attessa system. Not to take anything away from a GTST but if track work is appealing to you the traction offered by the GTR is hard to beat. Personally I could not care less about 1/4 mile times other than for bragging rights but around corners is where I have my fun. You can get power from both (less mods generally on a GTR but about the same cost when you take into consideration to purchase price) if you mod them but once you get to a point the attessa makes a massive difference as traction can be achieved.

For the record though the biggest thing that will make a difference to times on the track is you. Doesn't matter how good the car is if you can't steer it right.

Mick.

I am buying an r32 GTR quite soon myself, and after driving serveral GTS-t's.. I won't even waste my time with them, no matter how modified you can make them. The GTR is a totally different skyline. A much better skyline.

Oh. AND....

I have a friend who has a GTS-t with an upgraded turbo, massive fmic, bov, expensive exhaust system etc.. all up he has spent 20k under the hood over the last 2 years with upgrades and repairs.

FINALLY his car is quicker than my s13.. but he's really pissed off that he can't pull away from me. Overall he's spent more money than buying a GTR and putting a few mods on it would cost.

Admittedly his car sounds a lot cooler than mine does. But I think a GTR has mighty fine acoustics. :(

Yeah, thanks guys. I have definately been leaning towards the GTR option. My thoughts were just that, I could spend the money on the GTST but in reality when finished I would probably be at the same level as a GTR with basic mods. I figure the GTR would be easier to extract performance from than the GTST. I can't wait to go for a drive in a few, as I haven't even been a passenger in one to date so I really don't know the difference. Three Nil in favour of the GTR. MMMM. I have to give up the sunroof though!

You should drive one befor you decide especially if you'r going for the R32GTR. It's a lot less civilised and forgiving than an R33GTS25T. For my money the only GTR to have would be the R34

Buy a cheaper investment property, Iknow a couple of good ones under A$100K.

The best thing you can do now is drive as many of all opf them as you can. Go to yards etc where they have them and take them all for a drive and see what you like. Like I said in your other thread I bought a 32 GTR because it was what I liked. I would not sell it for a 33 GTR due to reasons stated but that is me and the driving I like. Mnay think the exact opposite way and I can understand that thinking. Certainly if you can offord it a 34 GTR would be great. Put the word out in the QLD section of the forum that you would like a ride in some GTR's and see what you get. It will give you a far better feel for what they are like.

For me to even think of selling my GTR for a later model GTST seems ludicrous. The car simply fits me like a glove, from the moment I drove one I knew it was the car for me. It suits me driving style and type of driving I do. You simply need to find which one suits yours.

Mick.

I have organised to go for a drive in a 33 GTR tomorrow, and I am also going to have a look around the yards tomorow and try and scam a ride or two. Should be having a look at a 32 V-spec next weekend also. Should be fun. My significant other has offered to sell her car so we could have his and her skylines, she would have the GTST of course. That would be pretty cool. Already checked out insurance and possible repairs, all is good on that front, even though I hate giving so much money to insurance companies when I have never made a claim. I would love a 34 thats just too much money and chances are I would loose heaps more due to depreciation as the 32 and to a lesser extent the 33 have already dropped most of there value. I saw a black 34 Nur spec advertised somewhere for $170 000!

There is a black 34 in the for sale section for $75 000. Still alot though, could have a nice 33 with a few mods for that.

Just went for my first drive in an R33 GTR! Thanks to 7illa. Very nice. They are obviously very simliar to the GTST to drive, they just the steering is a little heavier, clutch is a little heavier and the power delivery is a little stronger and more linear. And it sounds quite different, engine more angry at full throttle. This example was very straight and very standard, not even a hint of a shopping trolley dent. All the chassis rails were perfect not squashed like some and all the seams looked perfect. Can't wait till settlement!

To Mick Trainer:

I agree with u,R32GTR is much better car than R33GTR,coz R33GTR is too heavy,R32GTR light than R33GTR,would be better car to race on the track!!

To jlnewton:

if i was u,i wil buy that R32GTR V-spec,coz there are many GTR33 STD and V-sepc on the street,but not many R32GTR Vspec,its very rare car in the market and hard to find the good R32GTR V-spec in the market too,my mate told me R32GTR V-spec is limited in japan,so i wil go for R32 and they are handle much better than R33GTR,i have driven my mate's R33GTR,they are too haevy and much slow than R32GTR,that's only my own opinion,hope it wil help u to find a right GTR

:)

How much is the r32 Vspec? man i'd definately buy that as long as its under 30,000.

Keep the rest of the money you save to 'freshen' the car up with a really good service. replace the water pump, fuel pump.. etc.

I'm glad you respect the r32 compared to the r33 It's my personal preference. See my thread 'Gtr's: r32 vs r33'