SAU Community

For The Guys Wanting Entry Level Motorsport!

Risking

It's just an old 4 cylinder turbo Volvo motor, 8 valve single OHC. But you should see the size of the hair dryer hanging off the side of the thing. I tell you what, it had us worried :P

Nicest guy driving it too. Came all the way up from Victoria. It was his first drive at Wakefield and only the cars second outing.

It certainly sounded the business!

That guy in the L34 'rana had some guts going round the outside of you guys at turn 8.

Also any idea what happened to that 360 challenge?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well........................

Friday oran park I warped the cylinder head to the point it was scrap metal. We decked it flat anyways. Litterally threw the engine back together with a 2nd hand head gasket and took a little timing out of it.

Qualifying a BRAND new set of coils shat themselves and we managed a 1 min 13 lap time and 7th off the grid. Had a terrible 10min session driving a 4 cylinder, RWD GTR. Worst timed lap that car has ever done!

Race one NO AWD and 10psi of boost (12psi spike) we fought back to 2nd behind that volvo. (its a serious volvo!!)

Times are apauling for what the car is capable of but never the less. New coils are needed!

Race two I botched the start and fell back to 5th or 6th by turn 2. it just fried tires off the line through to 3rd gear.

I drove the arse out of the GTR and got back to the front with a lap to go.

We passed a few cars through turn one and two then again into 8 and 9. Speed out of turn 9 was the key to the cars success today, It realed in anything with a slingshot effect coming out of 9 and onto the shortish back straight.

I was able to pass most cars coming out of 9 or deep into 10 was a good spot with the brilliant brakes we have on the car now.

The guys make their cars so wide and despite being a big engine I had no straight line advantage over them really. I had to carry corner speed and carry it through onto the straights to get passed with the lack of grunt.

Weakness today was the straight going up the hill and into turn 3. It had great grip and corner speed but not enough speed to haul up the hill like it normally would.

Race three I had a better start but the Volvo (god that sounds so wrong) kept up and we had a bit of a race for the win. Was a good race and we both had some lapped traffic. I was so focused I missed the checked flag and did a 9 lap race still carving up lapped traffic in what was meant to be my cool down lap. It was kinda fun though.

The butchers pinic race I started near the back and walked away from the field. It was interesting at the start but kinda boring once I cleared out.

Really really have to say A MASSIVE THANKYOU to JAY (jazzy J) for all his help. This shit wouldnt happen without his help. Friday arvo he got a call saying we gotta rip the engine open. He was on my door step ready to go. REALLY appreciate it mate.

SAM at WESTEND PERFORMANCE for opening up on a saturday morning to molester my cylinder head and get it as flat as possible, His a dead set legend and the only guy to touch my engines. This engine had no right to win races today its a barstard engine that should be well and truely dead!

If Sam cant resurect something then there is no hope for it ever. His help is invaluable last minute as always

Mattress mania in narrellan who have come on board sponsoring the car with entries etc. Really does help out so much.

Bob jane Campbeltown who help us out like nothing else with tire fitting and late night allignments Sam and Brad are to good to us! so thanks guys!

Jess Did an awesome job in race control there was nothing wrong with how the day ran at all. Besides a few accidents and normal stuff it was really good. So big well done and thanks to her and everyone involved in running the day as well

So we had a shit day before, terrible qualifying but won 3 from 4 and a 2nd in the other.

It was by no means easy with an underpowered GTR and RWD but it drove well and came out on top.

The torrana did try to have a go a few times around the outside at 8 during race two. He had some serious Horse power.

I firmly kept the door closed and he wasnt able to go through.

I passed the RX7 on the inside going through turn 1 flat out, it was a question of who had the biggest balls going into 2. I just came out infront. That was an interesting set of corners leading up to and following the pass.

The 360 had electrical problems with the box I was told.

I qualified with a 1:13:32

Race 1 1:07:35

Race 2 1:08:04

race 3 1:06:76

Race 4 1:06:33

Times are piss poor for the car but with the lack of power im pretty happy with its pace and it made for great racing

Check out the brakes on the Volvo. Normal Hmmmm nope!

GTRandvolvo.jpg

The front of the car looked pretty good before the day begun. It got hammered through out the day though and the paint work is absolutly screwed now. We ened up with some tire rubber on the front bumper but not major

GTRR32.jpg

Begining of the 3rd race. I didnt get swallowed by the first 3 rows this time!

gridded.jpg

leadingpack.jpg

Chasing down the torrana in race 2 I think it was

GTRleading.jpg

Passing the torrana at turn 7. Was harder than it looks!

insidetorrie.jpg

engine.jpg

Edited by Risking

ah cool, you must have done the 68 late in race 2 then...couldnt hear the announcer over the stupid fat chick sitting beside the gf and I, she thought shed be cool and listen to music on her phone really loud.

Yeah it was second last lap in race two.

Going through data now, cant compare it to a sprint day's data, No two laps are even similar from today in racing lines and throttle/brake usage.

What an fantastic day!!! Great Racing and actioned packed!!! Some awesome cars turned out for the day :)

Well done on all the wins Brad..Top Effort :)

Zebra where were you???? You didn't come and say hi?!?!?!?! :)

post-8051-1249250853_thumb.jpg

post-8051-1249250878_thumb.jpg

post-8051-1249250915_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jess.

I was SO glad the engine held together. Jay and I were talking about it on the way home and we both had massive doubt in the morning but neither of us said anything about it.

I guess we just had some luck. But last night when I unloaded and went to put in the garage at my parents place the clutch pedal went to the floor, there is air in the line so I think maybe the slave cylinder has shit itself.

Terry's comodore is quick, shame it broke the diff I think I would have had to turn the wick up a bit to keep him out.

Thanks Jess.

I was SO glad the engine held together. Jay and I were talking about it on the way home and we both had massive doubt in the morning but neither of us said anything about it.

I guess we just had some luck. But last night when I unloaded and went to put in the garage at my parents place the clutch pedal went to the floor, there is air in the line so I think maybe the slave cylinder has shit itself.

Terry's comodore is quick, shame it broke the diff I think I would have had to turn the wick up a bit to keep him out.

Awww I think the GTR was happy to see me!!!! LOL Put on a great show...It's lonely up the front on the track huh! :D Nice sidewayz action out of Turn 10!!!

Yeah Terry's car is a weapon he was eating up the sports cars and lovin it until it died..... :D Time for a Ford 9inch :devil:

Soz I didnt come say hi jess, we didnt stick around for long.

Awww I need to put a face to the name or will still think you look like a zebra :laugh:;)

It was happy to race again.

Its kinda odd, whenever it goes to a sprint and has heaps of preparation it breaks.

But the old grey car was thrown together before MRA last year and it won the round

The white car was half slapped together for the oran park round and finished 2nd.

Then this time it was butchered and slapped together again and it won the round.

Doesnt make any sense but yeah thats the current trend the car has started to follow.

The flag marshel on the begining of pit lane was taking photos and clapping whenever I came around there in race 3. The tires were shit by lap 6.