SAU Community

Installing Underdash Lights?

Hi guys,

*DISCLAIMER* I've tried searching the forums for a good two hours with no avail. *puts on flameproof suit*

I currently am troubled with a lot of things so can't sleep so figured I'd try do something productive with my time..

I have these 12v LED strips that I want to install underneath the dash at the driver/passenger seat. I have had these lying around for the past couple months picked up cheap from eBay..

I'm not sure where I can grab the power from in my R33.. Ideally I would like them to work with my cabin light so I can control it from there, any idea's how I can do this?

Otherwise, I heard the cigarette lighter light is a good place to get the power from however this means the lights turn on as you turn on your parkers, what are the legalities of driving with footwell lighting? I really don't want to spend the time on installing a switch for this job..

Either way would be nice, with the cabin light would be ideal..

Also, I want to change my interior cabin and reading bulbs to LED, what size/type bulb do I need.

(Where on earth is the edit button? :blink: Sleep deprivation maybe..)

Anyway, I finished wiring the two strips to the cigarette lighter light so it turns on when I turn on my parkers, I don't have a switch to override it tho. It took me long enough (the whole night =P from about 3:30 I started and finished including the finishing touches at about 6:30) but it was the first time I opened up my centre console at all so I'm pretty happy with myself that it's atleast all looking neat. Spent a lot of time trying to pull stuff apart that I really didn't need to. =P Anyway, experience for my next project, LED dash..

I really like how it turned out, the LED strips I have are very thin and I used a double sided tape (not the thick type but the one you peel off the paper like material and it leaves a thin glue) as the double sided tape (same stuff that I used) on the LED strips got a little old and weren't sticky enough for my likings.. I'll post pics soon!

Question however, still... legalities in QLD? I've got them permanently on when the lights are on am I going to be in trouble? I really just don't want them picking on my FMIC install. >.<

Another thing, my parkers are still a yellow bulb while my headlights are white halogens (not bright enough for my liking tbh but that's a different issue) from when I got the car. I've read things about people installing indicators in the parkers which I think is a great idea (even tho I still have the stock series 1 bumper and indicators) but I didn't want to lose out on my parkers.

I was thinking of the possibility of having both an orange (indicator) and white (parker) in there and the respective parker turning off when indicating and only the orange bulb is on (flashing).. is it possible? I'm sure the electronics are somehow.. first things first tho is if you can actually fit two bulbs (or a multicoloured led maybe?!??! I just thought of that - yes I am crazy right now, no seriously)

EDIT: I have an edit button here, but not post #1.. =\

Edited by Alinys