SAU Community

Rb25det Power Troubles

r32u

hey having trubles with my rb25det s2

well when i first put engine in my car would drive good but there has always had a very little hisitation from round 5500 to 6500 but hardly noticable

has fmic, exhaust, only ever run 9psi

but then it started backfiring hard between 5-6.5g

i decided to wire up up an ignitor and wasted spark

has new vn coil and leads with 8 months old platniums

checked them and the white ceramic was cracked on one and you could c were it had been arc'n through so replaced with a spare irridium ( if anyone knows wot 45 dollar ones to put in)

know when it gets to round 4500 it just misses/pings, doesn't even rev past 5 easly

it seems to change behaviour(getting worse)

tried changing cas but no change

Hold on what. THIS IS BAD

You put 2nd hand plugs in it and VN coils? like commodore coils wasted spark ignition? why?

NGK bkr6es is copper replacement plug for these things.

PUT THE STANDARD IGNITION SYSTEM BACK ON!

the standard ignition system is fine... when working properly.

check timing

doulble check boost

don't drive car till it pings this will cost you another engine.

try turning CAS all the way clockwise to minimize ignition timing before you drive anywhere

get your Air fuel ratio checked asap any 4wd dyno place will do it to confirm fuel issue.

a chipped plug would confirm major detonation event has occured, unless it was damaged on installation or removal.

Wasted spark, VN coilpack :P

These are NO boat anchor's designed in 1950!!!

Split fires - platnium/iridium's - fuel filter - check fuel pressure - STOCK BOOST!

Edited by RED513

hey having trubles with my rb25det s2

well when i first put engine in my car would drive good but there has always had a very little hisitation from round 5500 to 6500 but hardly noticable

has fmic, exhaust, only ever run 9psi

but then it started backfiring hard between 5-6.5g

i decided to wire up up an ignitor and wasted spark

has new vn coil and leads with 8 months old platniums

checked them and the white ceramic was cracked on one and you could c were it had been arc'n through so replaced with a spare irridium ( if anyone knows wot 45 dollar ones to put in)

know when it gets to round 4500 it just misses/pings, doesn't even rev past 5 easly

it seems to change behaviour(getting worse)

tried changing cas but no change

I'm not surprised you have power troubles with mixture of irridium and platinum plugs, ignitor and dunnydore coils and leads.

I think you need to replace all your parts with parts that fit the application that are strictly for the RB25DET NEO engine and then get it tuned.

If you cannot manage this then take it to competent mechanic who can help (most should be able to get you sorted.)

And make sure your base timing is set to 15 degrees on your CAS and plug gap is at factory 1.1mm as a start.