SAU Community

Wierd Noise After Service :s

RB20, std turbo, no engine work. oil filter relocation kit (no leaks, greddy) oil catch can (doesnt look to be leaking, also greddy)

had my car in for its regular service (also had a radiator flush) and on the drive home i noticed some white smoke coming out from bonnet. Checked defi, water temp was fine, oil pressure looked fine, not lots of smoke, but enough for me to pull over to check it out. When i opened the bonnet what little smoke was there dissapated and no source was obvious. so i just continued driving home, watching temps and pressures the whole way. no more smoke appeared

checked coolant and oil levels, both ok, oil is a little high, might be because of extra capacity of relocation kit though ?

then tonight while driving along, under load i noticed a strange noise coming from the engine bay, seemed pretty close to me in the cab, sort of centrally located and sounded right behind the firewall. popped bonnet to have a listen, gave it a bit of throttle. the noise seemed to be coming from the rear of the block, i think from the head.

from inside the car the noise sounded like a sort of gargling bubbling noise, like air being sucked though a water line or something (but increases with engine load), hard to describe.

before the service i have started to notice some white smoke out exhaust on boost, thinking turbo oil seal, mechanic rekons so too. maybe im wrong and its the head ? would this explain the noise :S

kinda worried, gunna call my mechanic first thing in morning lol

any info for now would be great though

From what I understand, theres usually more coolant in the block than there is in the lines + radiator combined. I would scrutinize how the exactly the flush was done.

From what I understand, theres usually more coolant in the block than there is in the lines + radiator combined. I would scrutinize how the exactly the flush was done.

thanks for the input, ill ask about it when i call, as i mentioned though, coolant levels were fine and water temp was ok (78 degrees) so hmmm :s confusing lol

If it was done properly, should have drained the coolant out the head by the cylinder block drain plug (I assume it's in the same place as the rb26, a real pig of a location with the rb26 at least).

Is your coolant milky brown?

Bear in mind these 2 pictures are from the R32 GTR service manual, procedures should be the same for the rb20 i would guess.

post-51527-1244824461_thumb.jpg

post-51527-1244824546_thumb.jpg

smoke at the back of the block could possibly be from a leaking rocker cover gasket. or simply a bit of oil was spilt when they filled it up. that should just burn off after a little while.

noise could possibly be air in the water line from the turbo to the block, or the heater hose (did you have the heater on at the time?

rocker cover gasket was replaced when i did my 100thoughsand k service, was leaking a bit before that, all good now, my mechanic rekons just a bit of air in the water system, has dissapeared today and water levels and temps still remaind fine, oh well, gone i guess haha, cheers for the input guys :(

im not a spectacular mechanic but in the last 4yrs ive been one apprentice lol... ive seen quite a few cars come in with complaints of the same noise... ur mechanic probably didnt have the heater on when he was bleeding the system. if ur competent wen it comes to playing under the bonnet let the car completely cool turn the key on and turn the heater on turn it right up i should say 30degree watever i dont remember and if u wanna be double sure that all the air is gone shouldnt have to but yeh jack the car up slightly at the front or park on a slight incline if u have one so the radiator is higher then the motor crack the bleeder and keep pouring in water until all the air has stopped flowing out the bleeder replace bleeder then take the cap off and start the car let it get to full operating temp it will push out a lil bit of water dont stress and then wen the thermostat opens it will pull in watever water u have left may even push out a lil bit of air from sumwhere aswell then fill the radiator to the top and replace the cap.... if ur noise still persist u may have to push water into the heater core but thats a different story lol