SAU Community

Rb30 Conversion

Rota OZ

Hi Guys,

I ve a friend overseas who is looking to do an RB30 conversion ,

He wants me source a block (im assuming a VL turbo)

Can anyone shead some light on what block i should be looking to buy ?

is NON turbo OK ? or turbo only ?

Will these VL blocks fit a 2wd Skyline , what happens if he wants to retain 4wd ?

Thanks in advance

John

John,

You are best looking for a series 2 block and there is a guy who makes the conversion plate for the 4wd setup if you want. What sort of car is it going into?

Pm me and I will give you his details.

brilliant, thats the kind of info i need,

Is there such thing as a 4wd rb30 block ? or just 2wd with conversion plate ?

Also can you use the commo internals ? or will he literaly have to use the bare block ?

J

brilliant, thats the kind of info i need,

Is there such thing as a 4wd rb30 block ? or just 2wd with conversion plate ?

Also can you use the commo internals ? or will he literaly have to use the bare block ?

J

Series 2 N/A block is what you need as it has the provisions for water and oil lines. Obviously he will be buying new forged internals. You will need RB30 rods and the corresponding head choice pistons.

No such thing as a 4wd rb30 block although the RB30 did come out with the earlier nissan patrols. All he will need is a 4wd adapter plate which will allow the RB30 to be mated to the GTR gearbox.

I wouldnt recommend using the standard rods for high HP applications but the turbo rods are good for decent power. As per above you will need RB25 or 26 pistons to top the rods.

Hope this helps.......

Cheers

Imtorqing

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a very cheap RB30/25neo conversion on my 32 gtst around 300rwhp @7000 internal gate small turbo i think this setup suits 2wd. Personally with 4wd i would probably stick with a RB26 as more tracton offered by 4wd copes with a steeper power curve better. The RB30 with 4wd could feel a bit soft in top end of rev range with a small turbo and if you go big with the turbo you would have to rev the engine hard(not good on long stoke, especially with standard rods).

I am not an xpert on engine building but you kind of get the idea trying to rev such a long stroke motor hard is a bit of a engineering challenge that stretches the RB engines oil system to its limit. Not saying it cant be done just that engne internals will be pricey and oil system will require attn if previous posts on this forum are right. Also check posts by sydneykid regarding oil restrictor size modifications to prevent excess/starvation oil in the head.

Two small issues with my build were clutch master had to be moved because it hits the inlet manifold, also a standard 25 cross over top inlet manifold wont fit under 32 bonnet, i had to use modified fibreglass bonnet because of height of engine, at the very least some reinforcing will need to be removed from stock bonnet. Depending on our gearbox speedo sender and tailshaft may need modifying.

Just my 2c

Edit: tidied up BBcode for you mate, IPB tried to turn the power figure above into an email link because of the @ symbol lol - Revhead

Edited by Revhead