SAU Community

Rota Grids

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the rims do look nice but im sure you've seen the pics of Rota rims cracking/breaking/snapping doing the rounds on the net.

however, theres a set of Rota for sale on Ebay, currently @ $1100 which isnt bad for a brand new set of four!

just be careful!

rotamotivation.jpg

the rims do look nice but im sure you've seen the pics of Rota rims cracking/breaking/snapping doing the rounds on the net.

however, theres a set of Rota for sale on Ebay, currently @ $1100 which isnt bad for a brand new set of four!

just be careful!

rotamotivation.jpg

wanna show the pic before that where the subi... or was it an evo... was about 5-6ft high in the air over a bump and then came crashing down

resulting in massive impact to the wheel/rim which causes that dmg.

no wheel with 1400+KG's coming down on it will survive.

Other than that - use google to find a stockish or conact them?

ROTA Australia has an eBay store.

I dunno. I've heard too many horror stories about ROTA wheels (not just the pic above) to want to run them in a motorsport setting.

I'd be happy to put them on a street cruiser though, but they don't make the wheels I want in a size appropriate for the car.

wanna show the pic before that where the subi... or was it an evo... was about 5-6ft high in the air over a bump and then came crashing down

resulting in massive impact to the wheel/rim which causes that dmg.

no wheel with 1400+KG's coming down on it will survive.

Other than that - use google to find a stockish or conact them?

it's not an isolated incident, id get all the rota pics if ns was up.

here's a few more:

ROTA.jpg

knock-offs.jpg

it's not an isolated incident, id get all the rota pics if ns was up.

here's a few more

How do you know they are all legit/originals?

How do you know some of them aren't copies/staged centre caps etc etc.

The list goes on. I've seen the full footage of a few of these "failures" and i can easily see why they have failed, and its not because of the rim quality.

well personally i wouldn't run them on the track and esp if you drive your car hard.

for a street cruiser then id be more then happy to put them on.

alot of the US guys use them still as they are worth the $$

theres a sponsor in the trader section selling these for under 2k landed.

How do you know they are all legit/originals?

How do you know some of them aren't copies/staged centre caps etc etc.

The list goes on. I've seen the full footage of a few of these "failures" and i can easily see why they have failed, and its not because of the rim quality.

ROTA's are copies.

there's a great pic of a before and after of some rotas after some track work, they litterally go from straight spokes to spiral shaped spokes :)

not from any impact(obviously), simply from heat and stress they deformed.

And there be the proof in the pudding

top stuff you lubly man you

lol, so we're going to take one single example to prove a whole point, but discard many others that prove the opposite?

simple fact with wheels is that not all will explode, a lot will take a decent beating (relatively speaking), even the low quality ones. look at drift teks and many other cheap wheels, some take years of beating on the track on some cars, yet there are just as many examples of them cracking and breaking without severe abuse on others.

you take a chance when you buy cheap shit, it might work it might not, but when that part is what keeps you above the tarmac, im not one to be taking chances.

Rota have a disgraceful reputation for failure, that's a fact.

ok, so they apparently have a bad reputation for failing. Can somebody provide concrete proof of this besides pictures of rota wheels cracking on a car thats smashed a gutter? I know how rumours work, and 90 percent of the time its bull*hit.

lol, so we're going to take one single example to prove a whole point, but discard many others that prove the opposite?

Umm... You mean some internet pictures.

Which...

A number of which has been proven **via the entire footage** to have failed totally and utterly due to treatment/abuse.

Come on, the internet is right sometimes... but if they can do a Enduro race @ Phillip Island where Pete & Co. ran 2:05 ALL DAY long, im happy to say the internet is wrong

u forget nismoid, one of the biggest issues with cheap manufacturing is quality control, ROTA have had to recall quite a few wheels in the past simply because they have been found to be death traps.

some rotas are time bombs, some arent, none are properly "strong".

so even if u get lucky and get a rota which will hold up when everything is going ok, it still wont take even close to the same punishment as a better quality wheel.

the thing is, when u hit a gutter, u break it in a certain way, usually it's a nice bend or buckle in the barrel, if its hard enough u rip ur barrel in half, because that's what hits the gutter. i have never seen this kind of damage as a result of sliding into a gutter:

rotasmotivator.jpg

this was caused by hard cornering at Infineon Raceway

img0192hr3.jpg

rimcenter.jpg

rim.jpg

now what a few laps with 500hp turbo EK4 Civic can do to them:

BEFORE:

rota0ni9.jpg

AFTER:

rotayu3.jpg

rota33te9.jpg

Front one and rear one side by side, note the bulge in the close one.

rota3te7.jpg

btw this isnt part of any argument, i just thought this rota pic was interesting, just doesnt look like any other break ive seen before, looks like its made out of plastic:

Rotawheels.jpg

and we haven't even got to the point about them being cocks who blatantly just steal other manufacturers designs, copy them, replicate them cheaply and make $$ off them.

but honestly, i dont care, it's ur car, i've done my bit to make people aware. if people choose to ignore it then so be it, im not going to sit here and argue something for the sake of helping them. plenty of people use rotas without dramas, but do u want to risk being one of those who arent so lucky?

why would i have first hand experience? i dont spend my money on cheap copy junk wheels, regardless of if they have a good reputation or not.

id rather spend less on used wheels that are the genuine article that can take some abuse, spending over $1000 on cheap copy wheels just blows my mind when they are so many good used wheels on the market.

once again, it's not my car, i have nothing to gain out of arguing against rotas, take what ive said how u want.