SAU Community

Power Tune Performance Workshop

Shinrai

I just purchased a 1998 R33 GT-R V-Spec Series III and wanted to get a full service done, dyno tune, boost controller calibration etc.

I was wondering if anyone has taken their Skyline to Power Tune at Fairfield East, Sydney? How would you rate the service? Value for money etc.?

From their website, it looks like a good performance workshop but I would like to hear others opinions, good and bad.

http://www.powertune.com.au/

Hey David,

Congrats on the purchase, many fun times ahead.

I'd recommend Mark from Hills motorsports in Castle Hill for a great tune, but if your going to stick in any other mods, id suggest do them now before the tune (cams, power fc - etc).

Price would probably be around $700+ for a good tune, probably the going rate anywhere!

Make sure you get some form of warranty because remember theres almost always the fine tuning element which comes within the weeks after the initial tune.

Keep us all updated!

Edited by KR4-GTR

Hey David,

Congrats on the purchase, many fun times ahead. :angry:

I'd recommend Mark from Hills motorsports in Castle Hill for a great tune, but if your going to stick in any other mods, id suggest do them now before the tune (cams, power fc - etc). :D

Price would probably be around $700+ for a good tune, probably the going rate anywhere!

Make sure you get some form of warranty because remember theres almost always the fine tuning element which comes within the weeks after the initial tune.

Keep us all updated!

I was considering going with Hills but it is quite a distance from me and a recent call revealed they are quite flat out at the moment.

I am thinking about getting a Power FC put in... I guess to maximise the dollar factor with the tune I should probably get that done at the same time. I wanted to have a month or two with a good tune first, to see the difference that a Power FC made when put in later. However, I think I will get it done at the same time to save money.

This Power Tune Workshop looks promising and is much closer to me. I am going to visit them tomorrow and see what vibe I get.

Definately install one at the same time to save the cost another tune later - power fc's arent just plug and play unfortunately!

A power FC made a huge difference for me in both economy and power post a great safe tune with economy as my preference. (After installing one in mine - an otherwise almost stock, but healthy GTR - I jumped from 187kw to 221kw on low boost 12psi - and 300km to a tank to up to 470km to a tank).

In regards to servicing - im sure there are others more experieced on here that live around your area and have had personal dealings with local shops - so they would be able to recommend some great local places for you. Anyway, in regards to the KM's :D:angry: Im hoping your considering a full service with replacement of belts, water pump - etc? Depends where you go but for parts and labour the going rate for the "100,000 km service" is around $1200 from memory. Or this may have already been done?

You can pick up power FC's on ebay now a days for give or take $1500+ new. I personally wouldnt go to all the hassle of a second hand one.

When you total it up, $1500 (power FC) + $700 (tune) + $1200 (full service) isnt small money, BUT a good way to look at it is money dumped into a great tune now will also shave money off your fuel bill in the future! And you dont want your timing belt to let go and then be up for 10k+ worth of engine damage later.

Cars are also best tuned on a cold start - so be prepared to be without a car for 1 - 2 days. When taking this into account, maybe a local tuner would be better for you!

Edited by KR4-GTR

Ok, my car is now in the workshop. I have decided to add a bit more to the mix. This is what will be done...

- Major Service (all with premium products)

- Install Haltech Platinum Pro ECU (apparently a new version was recently released for R33 GT-R Skylines that plugs directly into the loom)

- Replace timing belt with racing timing belt

- Swap front rotors for slotted rotors

- New Endless front brake pads

- Dyno tune car

- Paint Rocker Cover, Coil Pack Cover and Timing Belt Covers in a Dark Candy Red colour (with R34 ornamental badge).

- I am also looking into getting the brake calipers done to match the engine covers.

There might be more... I accidentally left the quote in my car in the workshop. I will request one e-mailed so I can keep updated with the work in progress.

He said with the existing modifications that I already have (full HKS exhaust, Trust front mount intercooler, Apexi pod filters etc.) that I can expect 260 - 280 kw at all four wheels.

The only downside is that I wont have the car for a week.

It was also good to hear that they found the car was in excellent condition with no signs of accidents. It pays to take your time when choosing the right GT-R (I spent a whole week of annual leave looking at GT-R's, I must have inspected at least 20 - 30 of them in person and many more through the classifieds).

Edited by Shinrai

Even 260 to 280 with just a haltech sounds a bit ambicious. you might as well say straight out that you intend to add 100kw+ to your car just by upgrading your comp LOL. at what psi are you planning this? you might be able to hit your target but not safely. to simplify,, if that above are your only mods i hope you arent trying to hit the form of psi required on standard turbos. Cooler and exhaust dont add much powr and pod filters do sfa except sound cool. You won't reap any rewards power wise, and you'll get defected for it unless engineered. So if you get your car back with that power reading plz question its stability. oh and whoever said painting stuff red makes your car go faster, lied.

Edited by matty09

havent personally experienced anything with them.

but from the amount of stuff ive read about them, ONLY heard GOOD things about them..

the guys seems to know theyre shit, if you check hardtuned.net theyre actively on there.

and most ppl id say would reccomend em

• 2 weeks later...
Even 260 to 280 with just a haltech sounds a bit ambicious. you might as well say straight out that you intend to add 100kw+ to your car just by upgrading your comp LOL. at what psi are you planning this? you might be able to hit your target but not safely. to simplify,, if that above are your only mods i hope you arent trying to hit the form of psi required on standard turbos. Cooler and exhaust dont add much powr and pod filters do sfa except sound cool. You won't reap any rewards power wise, and you'll get defected for it unless engineered. So if you get your car back with that power reading plz question its stability. oh and whoever said painting stuff red makes your car go faster, lied.

Yes, even I thought it was too ambitious and I told him that when I handed over my car. Maybe he was having a "seniors" moment and/or thinking flywheel figures or something... LOL!

It actually ended up making 222kw (on all wheels). Nowhere near the quoted power figure. However, it is a very smooth tune with a very responsive and constant power curve.

In regards to painting my engine bay red. I think it actually turned out really well...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Rb...in-t286849.html