SAU Community

Body Parts

baron25

So, i was just wondering. There seems to be an increasing number of parts available for the GTR (spoilers, front bars, undertrays etc) to replace the existing parts. From my understanding, the GTR spent significant time in a wind tunnel to make sure the design had maximum downforce, and the bodyshape was crafted to aid that as much as possible.

I know modification is part of the GTR's popularity (all of them , not just the R35), hence the uproar when Nissan enforced the 'no mods' line in the warranty. But is putting all this gear on really a good idea? Unless the developer had significant resources to develop an improvement (HKS is the only one that springs to mind that would have the money AND skillset to do it) wouldn't all the new bodywork look cool, but ultimately make the car slower & possibly destroy the handling balance?

I think the standard body work looks fine besides the front bar. A new wing will most definately change downforce characteristics if the design size and angles are changed. I doubt a aftermarket rear bar would negatively affect performance in any way as long as the diffuser is still set up how it was suppose to. The front bar I think could impact performance and downforce a little. I think its a bit bleh from the front but side on it looks ok. If the standard opening is big enough for the radiator and intercoolers then I wouldn't want to move to something bigger as your just creating more drag. Nissan have really went all out on designing this car and there are very few improvements that can be made within the limits of what they have built. I doubt that any aftermarket aero accessories will really help besides a bigger wing if its a race vehicle. The engine side of things can always be upgraded though, I was sad to hear haltech aus killed an engine with only 400kw, I have seen articles about several different 600hp+ R35's with no mention of aftermarket pistons and rods which leaves me scratching my head. If you have the money to get an R35 I guess you have the money to spend 20k on building the engine if it strikes your fancy.

• 2 weeks later...

honestly, i would not get into modding the R35's exterior in any way as Nissan has done extensive research in the exterior and i doubt that any aftermarket companies has spend money in wind-tunnel testing, surely they will look more unique but i don't think it would do any benefit in terms of performance. Unless someone is looking to do some very serious track work, then in that case, large GT wing and wide body kit may be necessary