SAU Community

Just A Couple Of Questions Pertaining To Wa.

Tony de Wonderful

Hi, I've been in Perth since 2006 (I'm a brit), just got an '97 R33 GT25T.

Not being too familiar with WA laws though having not driven much...was just wondering about the following:

If I add stuff like upgraded exhaust or turbo stuff (any mods to do with the engine) do I have to get a mandatory emissions cert that cost shed loads of $$$? Even if stuff is OEM. At the moment my car is all stock. That seems bloody ridiculous.

What are the laws about rim sizes and stuff. I heard drivers got done for 'big rims'?

I heard someone say you need sticker on your gear shifter to show its 'map' also? WTF? :(

What's the law about being lowered etc? What is too low?

I've heard loads on the media about the 'hoon problem', now with this legislation the police have discretionary power to impound cars right? A wheel screech, hard braking, revving too hard, etc is enough potentially to get a 48hr impound at your expense? The state has declared war on high performance cars (and their 'hoon' drivers) it seems?

Can a cop just send me to get an emmisions test just 'cos they suspect I have mods? Who pays for that?

Cheers

I've heard loads on the media about the 'hoon problem', now with this legislation the police have discretionary power to impound cars right? A wheel screech, hard braking, revving too hard, etc is enough potentially to get a 48hr impound at your expense? The state has declared war on high performance cars (and their 'hoon' drivers) it seems?

Can a cop just send me to get an emmisions test just 'cos they suspect I have mods? Who pays for that?

1) - well yes they can, its totally at your expense, it even costs for towing and storage. hmm i know traction loss and excessive speed summarises hooning, but revving too hard doesnt ring any bells. for all i know you could be reving your engine up to 5K for the fun of it. dont see how it can 'risk the safety on the road for other drivers', or either if you chose to get to 60km/h in first gear, (revs would be about 5-6K), aslong as you dont lose traction or exceed 60km/h i dont see how its hooning.

2) i think - me thinks you could be reffering to the 'pits' - the pits is where cars go if they are modified, imported or given a yellow sticker (a yellow sticker is issued by the police if they think your vehicle is unroadworthy, ie damaged and/or illegally modified) it is again totally at your expense in money, (and especially in perth) TIME!

police are targetting performance cars. while im doing my best to fish tail or drift a roundabout in the family's honda accord, the police would be more interested in a performance car, who could very well NOT be hooning or attempting to hoon. To WA police, a performance car is pretty much like walking through an airport with wires sticking out of a jacket

If I add stuff like upgraded exhaust or turbo stuff (any mods to do with the engine) do I have to get a mandatory emissions cert that cost shed loads of $$$? Even if stuff is OEM. At the moment my car is all stock. That seems bloody ridiculous.

Emmisions testing is required if the vehicle is pre-89, aftermarket cat (compliance requires one of these anyway), has an ADDED turbo (aftermarket, upgrade, etc - non-OEM), or any major mods that increase performance AND emmisions (ie, camshafts).

Emmisions is currently not required for vehicles already registered - stay away from yellow stickers and you're fine.

What are the laws about rim sizes and stuff. I heard drivers got done for 'big rims'?

Not sure on this but I THINK no more than 2" bigger than factory, also complying with the suspension rules.

I heard someone say you need sticker on your gear shifter to show its 'map' also? WTF? :(

Apparently an H pattern sticker is needed, showing the shift pattern, 99/100 cops wont give a shit about this and you can probably pass over the pits without it as well, but it doesnt hurt to order a sticker and keep it in your glovebox, handy for when the cop is walking from his door to your own.

What's the law about being lowered etc? What is too low?

Again, I'll let someone else answer this but the rule of thumb is you must be able to fit 2 fingers between the wheel and the guard ??

Yes, cops hate high performance cars - Our kind is illegal and are not allowed to exist without hassles.

You pay for that seing as you dont pay enough tax.

They cant say "your car needs an IM240 TEST!" however they can yellow you for something else and then your vehicle MAY meet a criteria in which it would need an emmisions test to make it over the pits. Although alot of people are passing without these tests, depending on how close to factory their vehicles are setup (keep a stock exhaust and friendly cat handy)

1) - well yes they can, its totally at your expense, it even costs for towing and storage. hmm i know traction loss and excessive speed summarises hooning, but revving too hard doesnt ring any bells. for all i know you could be reving your engine up to 5K for the fun of it. dont see how it can 'risk the safety on the road for other drivers', or either if you chose to get to 60km/h in first gear, (revs would be about 5-6K), aslong as you dont lose traction or exceed 60km/h i dont see how its hooning.

You can still get done for excess noise I believe.

& if you take off too fast (accelerate too fast but still keep to speed limit) you can still get done.

Bottom line is: if a cop wants your a*s, he will get it :(

Excessive noise does fall into hoon laws, and there has been a law for a while: "undue/unneccesary acceleration" or whatever its called, 3 demerit points ... :(

So does that mean you can get "hoon law-ed" if your stereo is too loud?

Good thing all I listen to is Old Chinese songs with no bass at all :P

Excessive noise does fall into hoon laws, and there has been a law for a while: "undue/unneccesary acceleration" or whatever its called, 3 demerit points ... :P

wow... ahh i was thinking more a safety issue. but hey if they're gonna get all pissed about noise wait till you live near the leach why truck lane... on a steep hill... my gran lives there dont know how she stands it... ah but shes pretty much deaf :(

You can get hoon law'ed for sneezing in a Skyline on a country road 500km's out of Perth - filthy hoon, don't take your eyes of the road or you could lose control of that skid and kill someone!!!

Seriously, I dunno about 90'000kw stereo's, my understanding as that Lebo's are more prone to police brutality, about as prone as HPV drivers are to police hoon laws.... ?

The laws about how low your car can go - the lowest part of the car (body kit, exhaust, anything other than the rims) is not to be lower than 100mm

I know - I work at Licensing

If I add stuff like upgraded exhaust or turbo stuff (any mods to do with the engine) do I have to get a mandatory emissions cert that cost shed loads of $$? Even if stuff is OEM. At the moment my car is all stock. That seems bloody ridiculous.

Emmisions testing is required if the vehicle is pre-89, aftermarket cat (compliance requires one of these anyway), has an ADDED turbo (aftermarket, upgrade, etc - non-OEM), or any major mods that increase performance AND emmisions (ie, camshafts).

Emmisions is currently not required for vehicles already registered - stay away from yellow stickers and you're fine.

So if I did a 'stage 1' tune of say 3" exhaust, POD filter, bigger intercooler, electronic boost control, ECU, would that require an emissions test? Are those mods even legal, I've heard about 'illegal' mods

Not sure on this but I THINK no more than 2" bigger than factory, also complying with the suspension rules.

What are the suspension rules?

Apparently an H pattern sticker is needed, showing the shift pattern, 99/100 cops wont give a shit about this and you can probably pass over the pits without it as well, but it doesnt hurt to order a sticker and keep it in your glovebox, handy for when the cop is walking from his door to your own.

That is so retardedly ridiculous. I guess I can't draw my own on a post it note? :P

1. You might be able to pass with that, seing as it is improvising aftermarket equipment which isnt soo much about more performance, its just an alternative to OEM, but again, reception is different, so be prepared to have to take an emmisions test in any case.

2. Suspension rules, basically, 2 fingers between the wheel and guard = and nothing can be lower than 100mm off the ground, OR nothing within 1 metre of either axle can be 100mm off the ground.

Anything lower than that starts looking stupid and kills the practibilitiy of your car seing as you wont be able to tacle speed bumps and ramps and shopping centres and whatnot.

I think the rule IS with equivalent weight of 4 people in the car (4x 80kg) and full tank of fuel.

3. eBay have those clear stickers with the patten, and the Nismo logo at the bottom, for an extra 8hp, and it's only a few bucks, plenty of stickers from that one shop you could buy and cram into an envelope Im sure :devil:

I've heard you do need the shuift pattern but never heard of anyone beong yellow'd or rejected over the pits because of it.

The laws about how low your car can go - the lowest part of the car (body kit, exhaust, anything other than the rims) is not to be lower than 100mm

I know - I work at Licensing

do you know how long RED's Ps last on the old legislation?

there was no red Ps on the old legislation.

well i got my L plates in jan 08. but only did my phase one test in march this year,

then did 25 hours and passed HPT, to get provisional license,

that was the old legislation?

old legislation is:

- Take theory

- Do practical

- 25 hours log book

- HPT

- Green Ps 2 years

- Full license

Edited by ZXY

old legislation is:

- Take theory

- Do practical

- 25 hours log book

- HPT

- Green Ps 2 years

- Full license

son of a b**** - the lady gave me a red P set only... and she knew i was old legis... damnit

old legislation is:

- Take theory

- Do practical

- 25 hours log book

- HPT

- Green Ps 2 years

- Full license

Old legislation was written test @ 16 years 9 months

driving test @ 17 years

1 year p plates then full license

down side was max speed limit on l plate was 72 kmh

max speed on p plate was 80 kph

son of a b**** - the lady gave me a red P set only... and she knew i was old legis... damnit

The "new" and "old" legislation bit was only with respect to the number of hours accompanied driving you needed to do to get your "p"s. If you had your "L"s before the change, you still only had to do 25 hours. If you only got your "L"s after the change, you have to do 100 hours, or whatever it is.

When they changed the regulations regarding the two colours of "P"s, you had to display the new type and could not continue to display the old type (with a short grace period). My son had his "P"s not long before the change and he had to get red "P"s, even though he had been driving on "P"s for a couple of months. My other son had his "P"s for about 18 months and had to get greens ones.

Regarding what is legal and what is not, these are set by the Australian Design Rules, or ADRs. Each state then applies their own interpretation of certain aspects - e.g. in Victoria you cannot have two mods on your intake (or something like that). So you cannot have pods and an aftermarket intercooler. In WA you can have both, as long as they are properly fitted and secured.

To check more, use the "Search" button. This has been covered many times in WA.

Also go look at the WA Dept. of Infrastructure and Planning website - they actually explain a lot of it (in very unhelpful language!).

Cheers. :devil:

Edited by MLCrisis