SAU Community

Im240 Emissions Test

Blinky101

Hi Everyone

A bit of background reading for this thread, check out (My First Yellow, WooHoo)

As it stands now, I have been told I have 28 days to complete an IM240 Emissions Test. This is the same test that people have been talking about in SAUWA here.

Anyway. I have contacted Konstcki's Garage to get the ins and outs of this test and have recieved some helpful knowledge. Last month a 300C running a 450 big block and doing the quater mile in 11's passed this test on the first attepmt. With this in mind I set about asking the guys at Konstecki's to send me out information and quotes for work to help me pass this test.

I am now waiting for their advice. They also gave me the price break down for the test.

$650 - Testing

$130 p/h for labour

$220 p/h for tuning

The test is a 3 hour event where the car is tested 5 times and needs to score 5/5 passes. The guys at Konstecki's seem helpful enough and are willing to talk you through the process (no bad press so far).

Anyway, I now need to get a few bits done, but the upside is that once the work is done, and I successfully pass the test, all my emissions related mods will be legal. Ie 3 inch turbo back exhaust, plumb back BOV, intercooler, cat etc...

I would however pass on a note of warning from my experience so far. If you have obvious illegal bits showing on your car then get them fixed. Basically as of 2 weeks ago the DPI have been pushing the IM240 test, so any car that gets Yellowed WILL be subject to it. No exceptions.

I will post more when I know more, feel free to comment or ask questions as I have probably forgotten to put bits in.

Cheers Blinky

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gay, seems like i will be getting told about this tomorrow when i go for the pits :blink:

I guarantee the DPI pushing this in the last two weeks, and the incredible amount of yellow sticker threads we have been seeing are no coincidence. Seems the police think they have a new way to get our cars off the road

Edited by Hanaldo

Have Kostecki's bragged about any turbo I6s passing emmisions yet?

All this talk of 4 second 15litre V8s passing, maybe because its their thing and all, but have the come out and said "We passed this 9 second quad turbo GTR running 2000cc injectors and no cat...AWESOME shit"

I don't want to shit down anyone's optimism, but they brag about their V8 scores all the time, they dont like 6 cylinders :blink:

I would however pass on a note of warning from my experience so far. If you have obvious illegal bits showing on your car then get them fixed. Basically as of 2 weeks ago the DPI have been pushing the IM240 test, so any car that gets Yellowed WILL be subject to it. No exceptions.

I will post more when I know more, feel free to comment or ask questions as I have probably forgotten to put bits in.

Cheers Blinky

its been going since february for the testing not just the last 2 weeks

and dont rush into it

The MTA are trying to get it dropped

read the very large thread on antilag about it

Get a 4 or 5 gas test done to get a base line, don't turn up there as others have and go what now after paying $1,000. They say the two test are different but you can work out what is an issue you might have later.

The ANTILAG LINK is worth reading as 845 replies and 19,294 views, I put it at the later part of thread and dufus in the thread is an employee of KEC.

You say with the list of mods the Cat has been changed, there are quite a few "Race Only" cats out there so be careful.

^ i was under the impression that you get a yellow sticker...

THEN go to the pits

and if the pit inspectors think your car requires an IM240 test THEN you'll be required to do the test

how to fix the problem;

when you get a yellow sticker... change your emission modifications (as well as all the other illegal sh*t you have)... go to pits and pass

swap-over parts to how it was before the yellow, easy!

EDIT: can anybody here verify this for me?

pretty sure that will help everyone here too

when you get a yellow sticker... change your emission modifications (as well as all the other illegal sh*t you have)... go to pits and pass

swap-over parts to how it was before the yellow, easy!

If the police have put on yellow that IM240 is needed theres no way out ....

I spoke to one of the inspectors at Welshpool Technical Section today and have been advised that only cars that are modified (i.e. aftermarket exhaust/FMIC/intake/cams/ECU/etc) will require to have the IM240 Emissions Test conducted.

I spoke to a customer who owns a stock-standard XR6-Turbo and has to go do the test, however I managed to get him out of doing the test due to his car being factory specifications.

So basically, if your car is stock-standard, you will not have to go and do the emissions test....

Also, not all modified cars need to have the IM240 Emission Test conducted as of yet - my car passed pits 2months ago and has a turbo-back exhaust, FMIC, etc. However, I believe that as time passes, it will be mandatory for all modified cars that go over the pits to have this emissions test conducted. As more and more cars go for the test, the testing will become cheaper - I still feel sorry for you guys....it's bloody expensive and from my point of view, just a load of wank.

Edited by syfon

Did any of you toss-pipes actually read the articles on the DPI site when this first came up?

It only needs an IM240 test if it meets the criteria, ie, pre-89, aftermarket emissions influencing equipment, ADDED turbo's, etc

So all you guys with stock R33 GTSTs really have nothing to worry about.

As for swapping and swapping back - retard? you'll get another yellow, more wasted time and money!

That's like letting Al Qaeda operatives into Australia just because they claim they're Christian now, bullshit, they're still filthy terrorist c**ts that will revert back and cause more problems? You're not clever, just fork out some cash, and get the setup you WANT legalized, then you dont need to pass the pits every week.

Also, not every modified car needs an IM240, only Skylines, you guys should know that by now :D