SAU Community

Fishy

R33NUTTER

Hi guys im new to this forum (which is very informative), i was wondering if anyone could help me.

Im set on buying an R33 GTST II and not keen on buying one that has been in the hands of a non-japanese person :( eg, one thats been thrashed to the shitter.

Ive come across a decent/legitimate looking import car dealer (is there such a place?), called Distinctive Car Imports based in Wangara, Perth. http://www.dcimports.com.au/

Now what Ive noticed is that most of they're cars and mainly the skylines are, "Finished in a Crisp White Duco". And look if not, in completely mint condition with wicked low k's, im not sure they've been given a respray because of the previous owner has crashed it or something, or if they just respray it so it sells better and they can afford to?

Can anyone share their thoughts please?

Im set on buying an R33 GTST II and not keen on buying one that has been in the hands of a non-japanese person :( eg, one thats been thrashed to the shitter.

Do you think the Japs don't thrash the hell out them?

Now what Ive noticed is that most of they're cars and mainly the skylines are, "Finished in a Crisp White Duco". And look if not, in completely mint condition with wicked low k's, im not sure they've been given a respray because of the previous owner has crashed it or something, or if they just respray it so it sells better and they can afford to?

Lift a seal somewhere on the car, it's a dead giveaway for a respray.

All that aside, there's not much a full inspection and test drive wouldn't reveal. As long as you have some mechanical knowledge or have a comprehensive check carried out, you should be fine.

You would be very very naive to think best to buy off a jap person coz he would of looked after it better...!!!

Doesn't matter who you buy it off the tell tale signs are there when you go to look at the car keep your wits about ya and be suspicous of anyone selling a car no matter what race or religion young or old etc....

As for tell tale signs there is loads like the usual the interior does it tally up with said miles??

Check silly things like the nut heads in the engine bay and suspension tops and if they have been undone ask why?? a lot of people mod and put back to std which is a real pain!! look for holes in the dash even just little ones were screws may of been holding guages down etc...

Check all the service history and read it thoroughly and carefully, The main i would say is way up the seller esp on the test drive let him/her drive it and just take note of there driving style....

Ir are they caining it slamming it thru the gears, gearing down at high revs etc also make sure the heater or the radio is not on and listen for any un-wanted sounds....

Fishy: Thread should read Whaley.

Yeh, I reckon you need some mechanical knowledge to see if a car's engine or box has been trashed.

Respray. What does it matter, the newer a paint job the better. Unless it was done on a budget in a back yard.

If you are willing to pay for a mint, stock 33 then go to a place like fab car or imports 101. They will sort you out

Thanks for the input guys.

I will definently be getting the car looked at, though not sure whether to get a mobile mechanic or take it to a mechanics and get her on the hoist.

The reason im freaked out by the Crisp White Duco is because im scared i might buy one thats been written off then been bodged together with some sticky tape and blue tak.. Ive fell for that one once..

The few that ive been looking at are between 80-90,000kms which is about right? Im aware of some people winding kms back on the dash so i wont fall for that crap..

Theres a thread on here somewhere about "What to look for when buying a skyline" or other, which ive copy and pasted so i can take it with me when i go check the cars out haha, hope the dealer's got a few hours. :P

Again very helpful you guys. Cheers.

repco do cheap and comprehensive tests on cars . you have to take the car to them but there one of the few people that do a compression test as standard . rac and sgio etc dont bother . better yet get someone like there competition to pick the shit out of the car head off to imports 101 and get them to do an inspection .

the revs check you should be doing can still also be upgraded to an insurance policy against rebirthing i think , which it sounds like you may be worried about . its about 30 dollars ?

my gtst has 200,000 ks on it and ive been drifting it since i bought it 6 months ago every session no worries . so there preeeety strong , like everyone says .

I can go on about this but all I will say is, I may be wrong but you join a forum a week ago and the only two posts are about DC Imports questioning there character as a business, you may not think you did but you have. If some one was a betting man comments like what are below as per many other times over the years are other people in the Import Industry just causing trouble.

Ive come across a decent/legitimate looking import car dealer (is there such a place?), called Distinctive Car Imports based in Wangara, Perth. http://www.dcimports.com.au/

No questions about the cars them self, what to look for when purchasing one, what people think they are worth, what dealers in Perth are there selling R33's and the list can go on........... No you comment about klm's been wound back, written off cars been put back together with blue tack and how it is suss for the paint to be so clean with only DC Imports mentioned.

Yes I personally know Regan and I see his cars when they arrive before even he does due to Quarantine clearing and they are impeccable, his cars are in the higher end of imported cars and I do not know anyone who preps a car for sale better then Regan. He is known for going beyond what a normal dealer does to a car of the age you are looking at.

One last thing who are you comparing his cars to which would make you think there is something wrong, could it be you were looking at other dealers who has just a yard full of shitter's and there are plenty of them. Bag me if you want but I am not saying you have done anything wrong it is more what you are saying comes across a different way to what you may be thinking.

Edited by DRIFTT

Hi DRIFTT, sorry i didnt mean to come across as offensive or nasty. And i certaintly didnt mean to give DC Imports/Regan a bad name or anything.. You could call me paranoid i guess, thats all, as i was screwed over by a mob known as buckinghamdrive autos, i wont spell the name with capitals.

Do you think id be wasting my money if i took it to get it inspected and all that?

Hi DRIFTT, sorry i didnt mean to come across as offensive or nasty. And i certaintly didnt mean to give DC Imports/Regan a bad name or anything.. You could call me paranoid i guess, thats all, as i was screwed over by a mob known as buckinghamdrive autos, i wont spell the name with capitals.

Do you think id be wasting my money if i took it to get it inspected and all that?

I would never say you are wasting your money when it comes to inspecting a motor vehicle no matter who you are buying it off be it someone I know or not, it is your hard earned money and it is your choice on how you spend it.

Last car I bought was off a good mate but I still had it inspected as it was a trade in and I didn't want to be stuck with a big bill a couple of months down the track, they know it is nothing personal when others think it is.

Out of the last 8 cars I have owned only one was actually inspected, they were either fresh off the boat or from a mate and all late model cars aside from the last.

But the key is who you get to inspect the car.

I bought my Stagea off Regan and I can tell you from first hand experience, that even if the car does end up showing any problems you could not ask for a fairer bloke to deal with. I looked pretty carefully at the ins and outs of importing vs buying one already complied and can honestly say Regan was the reason I bought one here in Oz. The few minor problems I had were taken care of straight away, all work was performed by a guy closer to me than him, and the one time I "thought" something was wrong (and it turned out it wasn't) he still organised for the car to be swept away and fully checked out anyway, at absolutely no expense to me. Personally I cant rate the bloke highly enough. The only "other" stagea importer at the time had me almost ready to buy a freakin commonwhore...

As stated before, its always going to be buyer beware etc, but from my experience with australian skyline (and most imported) owners, the car is a hell of a lot more likely to have been thrashed in Japan than here. Not many people in Australia buy a car knowing it will be gone in a few years not matter what...

Have only read a few posts in here, got a little past 2LV8ETR's post and had the mental image of his avatar stuck in my head.... think I need another glass of red now :(

Find out who has done all the work on the car or was the last shop to service it and if possible, speak to the mechanic/tuner of the car. The more often than not know EVERYTHING about the mechanical runnings of the car and what to look out for if anything, bribe them with a carton for their knowledge if you have to hehe.

Other than that, what everyone else has said etc...

when i was looking at getting a skyline i ended up getting a total of 3 cars checked out, those inspections were about $170 each but stopped me from getting the first 2 cars would have saved me thousands, and when i came accross a gem it just proved how good it was, best money i've spent, no i just gotta get insurance for it (17 yr old with turbo skyline=bullshit premiums)