SAU Community

I Finally Have A 34 And Can Join Sau!

itsme

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and the proud owner of an r34 after months of the horrible import wait, anxiety and stress!

I saved and worked long and hard to get the beast and once i can save up a bit more i want to start doing a few things just wanted to be pointed in the right direction;

This is what i was thinking;

I would like to upgrade the air filter from the stock box (have been looking at apexi but i dont know exactly what i would need)

Intercooler - Any brands/sizes/places to look recommended for good price and quality

Front dump pipe (pipe from turbo to the cat, mine only goes from cat back) - hope i have the terms right here =/

I then plan on tinting it etc and possibly suspension, rims and sound system.

Don't have a huge budget but if i know what i should be looking for then i can work towards it and do it in stages if need be.

My previous car was a 1.5 ltr lancer so this is a massive jump for me already, not looking to go too huge in terms of power or performance just

a few 'minor' upgrades. Apologies if my terms above are wrong I'm still learning and any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance all!

Be careful with the step up in power, especially in the wet. Your R34 may have traction control but still don't be complacent.

Yeh i'll definitely be careful it scared the hell out of me the first time the back end slipped out especially coz i wasnt used to the jump in power from my previous car so i've been driving it really softly (with an exception here an there)

but i appreciate your advice thanks. (I just have to make up my 10 posts so i can PM people =/ )

Good luck mate. Apexi pod filters are good, just make sure its secured at two points. If your mechanical knowledge is not great find a workshop local to you(look in the sauwa sponsors) to install the filter for you, also keep the stock box.

Dump pipes intercoolers etc are all personal preference but it pays to buy the renowned brands.

you can pick up a blitz dump pipe for 300, then maybe some hi flow cats for 180 odd

Intercoolers vary in price. One of our members Clint from Godzilla performance sells R34 Intercoolers for a good price in the $400's.

Anyway man look forward to meeting you at the next member event .

Pics? :D

Pod filter is a good place to start and can easily be done your self. But like was said make sure it is secured properly.

Filter: $100

Air Meter Attachment: $25

Consider just putting a hi flow panel filter into your stock air box.

You have a side mount intercooler already so unless your planning to boost up i dont think it is nessesary for a front mount.

Unless you would like one just for the looks.

If you are looking at upgrading the air filter, intercooler, exhaust system (take your cat out so you get flames :), rims+tyres, suspension (coilovers) & sound system, you will probably be looking at a budget of $3000-$5000 all depending on what rims you go for. Generally speaking, the japs rims like SSR Professor's or Volk Racing Rims are always quite expensive but are always damn good quality!

Pod filter is a good place to start and can easily be done your self. But like was said make sure it is secured properly.

Filter: $100

Air Meter Attachment: $25

Consider just putting a hi flow panel filter into your stock air box.

apexi pods fits onto your afm but you have to make sure its the right one for the car

Greets man, and welcome!

The R34 stock SMIC is good for up to 200kw so I wouldn't do anything with it until you hit that mark.

Air intake and exhaust should be the first things on your list in my opinion.

Good luck with your toy.

$300 for a Blitz dump pipe ???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dump pipe is the same for RB20 and 25, I got my split dump pipe for my 20 from Jap Parts Plus for $130, included new bolts and gaskets, its decent quality.... how the hell do Blitz go for $300, you must get one hell of a sticker with it.

Consider a high flow panel, but if you do get rid of the stock intake, take the box out only, keep the snorkel on that sits above the radiator, and line up your pod so it sits right behind the back of the snorkel, gives you a little bit of cold air into the pod, wont make much difference, but will help, especially on hot days.

Good luck :D

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and the proud owner of an r34 after months of the horrible import wait, anxiety and stress!

Thanks in advance all!

Welcome to the Forums, in addition to what everyone else had said I'd recommend doing a driver training day out at the RAC Driver Training center, one of the best investments you'll make, learn how to handle your new car :thanks:

Cheers

Paul

Hay man gratz on ur buy ... your living the dream good luck with your mods !

Thanks heaps.. great bunch of people in here, i feel overwhelmed by the good responses and really appreciate all the help and advice

Welcome to the forums bro,

how does it feel driving that than the lancer?

Haha.. there is no comparison.. poor bloody lancer, it never had a taco (they come stock without one) but it sounded like it was redlining in each gear.. good memories in that thing though was driven pretty hard coz i tried to squeeze any and all power out of it. Had a custom made Webber carby on it so it sounded beasty but end of the day it was still a slow front wheel drive 1.5 ltr.. massive jump in power of course to a 2.5 ltr turbo! still getting used to the loss of traction in the wet, was scary as all hell at first but i'm still being ever so cautious i dont wanna harm my baby. Think the girlfriend is feeling a little neglected after my new acquisition.

$300 for a Blitz dump pipe ???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dump pipe is the same for RB20 and 25, I got my split dump pipe for my 20 from Jap Parts Plus for $130, included new bolts and gaskets, its decent quality.... how the hell do Blitz go for $300, you must get one hell of a sticker with it.

Consider a high flow panel, but if you do get rid of the stock intake, take the box out only, keep the snorkel on that sits above the radiator, and line up your pod so it sits right behind the back of the snorkel, gives you a little bit of cold air into the pod, wont make much difference, but will help, especially on hot days.

Good luck :(

Ok thanks, I've been looking at apexi ones but i've heard blitz air filters are good too and i just have to make sure its really secure right so the cops dont pick on me too much?

Haha.. there is no comparison.. poor bloody lancer, it never had a taco (they come stock without one) but it sounded like it was redlining in each gear.. good memories in that thing though was driven pretty hard coz i tried to squeeze any and all power out of it. Had a custom made Webber carby on it so it sounded beasty but end of the day it was still a slow front wheel drive 1.5 ltr.. massive jump in power of course to a 2.5 ltr turbo! still getting used to the loss of traction in the wet, was scary as all hell at first but i'm still being ever so cautious i dont wanna harm my baby. Think the girlfriend is feeling a little neglected after my new acquisition.

lol time to finish off the exhaust system and make this rb25 sound more beasty, have you checked out www.justjap.com?

Welcome to the Forums, in addition to what everyone else had said I'd recommend doing a driver training day out at the RAC Driver Training center, one of the best investments you'll make, learn how to handle your new car :(

Cheers

Paul

Until you mentioned it i hadn't realized there was a place devoted to doing this I'll have to look into it for certain coz i would definitely like to know how to handle my baby. Did you just go the one time or did you go a few times to get the hang of things?