SAU Community

Engine Malfunction Light

stagman

So as the title suggest, my engine light will sometimes come on. Mostly shortly after a cold start up however if I turn the car off then back on again it goes away. I also noted that when the light is on, the car seems to have a 'shudder' feel to it.

My car also idles at around 1100 on a cold start up however 700 once warm. Also on the cold start up, the car seems to exert a large amount of smoke from the exhuast with a very rich smell to it.

From the searching I've done i believe the malfunction light is most likely coil packs on there way out and the high idle could possible be the oil and or spark plugs.

Anyone able to confirm issues with me or anything else?

Thanks

Scott

best way to tell is to check the ecu's error codes, there is a way to do this with by crossing two pins on the consult port (i dont know which, but a search will find the tutorial), or ring a few mechanics (nissan) and see if they can scan the codes for you, or, i see your in Redlands, i'm might not be too far away, i'm in Cannon Hill and have Consult software and can check your error codes for you if you want.

even though the light has gone out the error code stays logged in the error code list so you can look it up.

Edited by QWK32

best way to tell is to check the ecu's error codes, there is a way to do this with by crossing two pins on the consult port (i dont know which, but a search will find the tutorial), or ring a few mechanics (nissan) and see if they can scan the codes for you, or, i see your in Redlands, i'm might not be too far away, i'm in Cannon Hill and have Consult software and can check your error codes for you if you want.

even though the light has gone out the error code stays logged in the error code list so you can look it up.

do this

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Pl...p;hl=paper+clip

Hey thanks for that gerad, it helped me get the car to tell me what the problem was however i do understand how i come up with error codes? Is it the amount of times the light blinks or what?

Edit:

Hmmmm nevermind, ill just tell what its doing.. It slowly flashes 5 times then quickly flashes 5 times. If im assuming correctly this means dtc code 55. all ok. yet i know there is an error? any ideas?

Edited by stagman

Coil packs don't throw an error code. But after having many issues resolved by changing my coil packs I recomend it the only decision is based on if you want a factory fit or just ones that work. Splitfires are the only ones I found to be a proper fit. I'm not a Nissan person so i only know from my experiences. I also have the cable and software. But I'm in ipswich so a fair bit further than Qwk32.

Hey thanks for that gerad, it helped me get the car to tell me what the problem was however i do understand how i come up with error codes? Is it the amount of times the light blinks or what?

Edit:

Hmmmm nevermind, ill just tell what its doing.. It slowly flashes 5 times then quickly flashes 5 times. If im assuming correctly this means dtc code 55. all ok. yet i know there is an error? any ideas?

I think theres a few things listed in the manual that can cause the light to come on but not store any data.

If you want the r34 manual flick me a pm.

• 2 months later...