SAU Community

Just Got Inspection Done

defari

Hey,

sorry if i've posted in the wrong section..

Just looking for some advice on buying a r33 type II 1996. Got an inspection done today and whilst im not a mechanic, this skyline seems to be the better of them all that i've had inspected. Attached the pdf above (not virused :devil: )

It doesnt bother me about the small things like the wiper blades, paint, body kit etc..

Appreciate any advice on whether i should buy or not. Also if i was to fix the major problems how much would it set me back?

Cheers

A lot of little things add up to a big problem.

If you were mechanically minded and able to do the work yourself then it may be worth getting depending on the price.

If you weren't capable, then I would suggest no. The oil leaks alone in the engine bay may require a lot of work and could be costly.

There are a lot of 33's out there that you should be able to get in better condition than this one.

Be patient, and don't rush into something that you may regret.

We're talking about thousands of dollars to repair the items listed. Take into account that with the condition of the engine oil, clutch/brake fluids, and coolant, I would suggest that the vehicle has been poorly serviced and I wouldn't trust it as far as I could spit. I would even venture to guess that the 100,000 major service has not been completed.

There's also quite a few defectable issues so you'll be driving around with a yellow sticker time bomb.

This link (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/NISSA...n=All%20Regions) shows that the market price for them is about $13,000.00.

I reckon that the owner won't drop his/her price because the next person who comes along will take it at the asking price if they are not aware of all the issues.

Seriously, I would wait for the next one.

cheers for the feedback,

spoken to a few mechanically minded people, they said obviously its gonna have a few problems since its 13 odd years old.

they said the most concerning thing is the rear suspension making a knocking noise, more than likely something to do with the hicas. A good service / tune will fix a fair few things that are wrong i.e coolants, oils, adjusting the clutch, bulbs, etc.. The rust im not too worried about as i can do that all myself..

They also said that whilst racq does do a good job they tend to go overkill on imports to cover their reputation / complaints post purchase.

Was thinking of importing which will cost me a lot more and even still no gauruntee that i wouldnt have to spend more once it gets on the road.

Look for a car that is more original as it will have less issues. This one has one too many issues. Shop around as there are many R33s on the road.

Try to get one that has service books. My 93 R33 has more KMs and is in lot better condtion.

mmm, have been looking for a good few months now, inspected a dozen cars (have spent so much just getting cars looked at) this one was a lot better than the others..

not sure what u mean by original? its stock apart from exhaust. I think finding an import with log books is like finding a needle in a haystack

Records from when first imported, or at least proof of servicing. Original meaning no aftermarket suspension or exhaust. Both can damage car.

Maybe bring someone with you who knows a bit about cars so you don't bother inspecting crap ones.

Also, the report defects the brakes but I can't see why.

It's no good buying a car like this where you'll be spending thousands just to get it back up to scratch and to the condition that you'd be happy with. Seems like there's soo many problems, the amount of money

Think about this way: spend $10k on a car like this and pay about $4000 (if not more) to get it up to road worthiness and mechanically A1, plus future problems from a neglected car. Totalling $14000 to get it on the road.

OR spend $13k on a good condition, well looked after example which you can drive and start modifying straight away if you want you can also get a major service done for peace of mind.

Another suggestion is to ask a well known workshop from your area to inspect the cars you

At the end of the day everyone here is speaking from experience and their friends experiences, and suggest you should just wait and a good condition one will come up eventually.

Hope this helps

You need to start looking interstate if you can't find anything locally. Seriously, these days you can afford to do it because the cost of airfares is so cheap. Just another option, you can also find dealers that include RAC checks.