SAU Community

Intake Pipe Sucking Closed?

A31-RB20

Hi all,

Ive noticed a strange problem with my Stagea after driving for a while.

From what I can gather the intake pipe seems to be sucking closed. I notice boost will go to 0.55bar normally but will drop to 0.40bar or less and feels really sluggish after an hour or so of driving (stop start driving)

Has anyone got any ideas on fixing this problem without going metal intake pipe? I was thinking of getting a metal section fitted to the soft middle part, has anyone done this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

i haven't done it to my stagea but did it on my 32, i used a piece of 3" pipe, cut the stock flexible inlet pipe in half about half way up the length, then clamped the two halves of the flex onto the steel pipe. i didn't add much only about 150-200mm of pipe and it worked a treat.

are you sure this is the problem though, your cat could be overheating and becoming restrictive, whats the condition of the cat? also what gauge are you using to see the boost level? and do you have the stock or an after market dump pipe?

even if beefing up the stock flex inlet pipe with a piece of tube doesn't fix the problem, its not a big job, nor an expensive one and it helps you rule out a possible cause.

Thanks for the replies!

I run a trust 80mm front pipe and just a nismo cat back. The cat is the one replaced during compliance.

The boost gauge is a greddy item.

I may need to look into replacing the middle section with metal and see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by A31-RB20

Yeah, do the intake pipe mod. You can also get silicon items for around $100 if you want something a bit spiffier.

The usual point where the intake pipe becomes a problem is around 230rwkw from memory, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens earlier on some cars.

The compliance cat was probably the cheapest they could find, might be good for as little as 20,000km in a turbo.

Edited by Race__24

I was just looking through the first three or four pages of the topics, 133 to 129, and came across a discussion about a solid pipe from the AFM to the turbo, apparently there was bit that fitted the R34 and SK had one. It was not the 10c job I have, and most others, but a proper piece. Have a search.

Spent most of the afternoon on the car, knocked out the cat and fixed up the mounting position of the pod. So far the car seems really good and the boost is not dropping down like before.

Thanks for all the help!

Spent most of the afternoon on the car, fitted a highflow cat and fixed up the mounting position of the pod. So far the car seems really good and the boost is not dropping down like before.

Thanks for all the help!

hahaha, fixed. :P