SAU Community

R33 Gts Rb20e

Hi all,

I live in the UK, driving an R33 GTS Facelift, with an RB20E engine in it.

I now know that I have the basic Skyline and tuning is poor, has anyone done any thing with a N/A GTS like mine?

Any pointers on Induction, Exhaust and those lovely 4-stud wheels.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I had an R33 GTS (RB20E) for over 2 years. Great car, just lacked power (and the choice of aftermarket wheels was limited by the 4 studs...) As for tuning options, even here in Japan I had major hassle trying to find suitable parts. In the end I decided it was better economics (for me) to save my money towards a more tunable (or more powerful) car, but it all comes down to personal choice.

If you'd like to squeeze some extra horses out of the engine, a pod filter (Trust does one for the RB25DE which *should* fit the RB20E), exhaust (fujitsubo make one suitable, I think) and wheels (Rays CV europe in my case)...

Good luck!

Dave

air filter, headers + exhaust, some head porting, some cams + cam gears, aftermarket ECU

after all that, i dont think you would much more then a an RB25DE engine's power output, and would have stuff all drivability.

having said that, im sure a decent cat back and a pod will make the engine sound a whole lot more better and more enjoyable to drive.

wheels, the Jap brands make some very nice 4 stud wheels, but they are expensive. enkei's and vols are some that spring to mind

Dave, Nismodified,

Thanks for the Tips, will probably kep the old girl going for a few more years, as it owes me a bob or two. The filter and exhaust ideas sound a bit of fun. Will they improve initial lift off from 0-2000 rpm, as the car can shift when you wind it up, induces wheel spin at the drop of a hat, but seems flat below 3000rpm ?

Dave,

Seen your site it proves an interesting read, made feel I was not the only one to have bought an RB20E Skyline :Oops:

Regards

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for checking out my site. To be honest I do miss my old GTS, it was a rock solid car, never let me down and looked great. If I could have kept it along with my new car I would.

Regarding power/torque below 3,000RPM - you've got to be careful when choosing an aftermarket exhaust - get something too big, you'll lose a lot of back pressure and you're low end power/torque is gonna get worse, not better.

as an example, look at this power graph for a Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust - notice bottom end power and torque are way, way lower for the aftermarket exhaust than the std one...

LegalisR_torque.jpg

Their super R shows an improvement, but you're not really gaining much below 3K RPM:

LegalisSuperR_torque.jpg

Just saying, choose an aftermarket exhaust carefully and make sure it's specifically designed for an N/A car.

Dave

Dave,

I will check out the exhaust aspect carefully as you suggest, will also look at UK distibution for the Japanese exhauts.

I see from your site you have the R34 GTV, how much extra do we pay in the UK through importers and dealers for Skylines ?

I would like to upgrade as you have, but having paid more than I feel I should, am a little wary.

Is it worth waiting for the R34 range to come into price range or get an older R32 GTR, would value your advice.

Regards

Mark