SAU Community

Decision Time Help!

huddy

Hey all,

i've looked around and everyone has their own opinion and after looking at pages and pages i cant really find exactly what i'm looking for...

My application will only to be about 300-350rwkw max with RB26/30 + GT3076r 0.82 - and to be used for drift / time attack

I was considering getting a SPOOL ENGINE REBUILD KIT:

RB30DET - $2450

Spool Forged H beam Conrods

CP Forged Pistons ( Rings, Pins and Locks Included )

Cometic MLS Headgasket

ACL Race Series Big End Bearings

ACL Race Series Main Bearings

with the CP pistons in to suit 9.0:1 CR

however i cannot seem to find much information on this either besides what is on the spool website (i believe they're on SAU aswell??).

Just after feedback / reliability / other options around this price

________________________________________________________________________________

___

The other thing is oil pump,

I've read about the N1 pumps and good and bad experiences with them, moreso something to do with recent ones failing for whatever reasons (crank collars not snug / new casting of oil pumps...) so i'm not really sold on a N1 pump.

I was looking at the powertune gearset:

BILLET OIL PUMP GEAR SET $550.00 – send over std RB30 pump, will clean and install new gear set.

Much stronger than original gear set

Made to fit standard or N1 oil pump housing

No extra cost involved unlike high volume pumps where an oil restrictor is required in your block

CNC machined

but again was wanting to know info on these as to who has used them - any problems with them etc... other things i'd use with this would be:

restrictors in head

oil drain rear of head

baffled sump

moroso oil accumulator

i cant afford (unfortunately) to go a Tomei / Jun pump so was hoping that this may be a viable option.

I've also attached images of the gearset and others with it...

Thanks in advance guys - i'm just about ready to go with this stuff so looking for all the info i can get

-Matt

post-9092-1257823880_thumb.jpg

post-9092-1257823892_thumb.jpg

post-9092-1257823923_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking at the powertune gearset:

BILLET OIL PUMP GEAR SET $550.00 – send over std RB30 pump, will clean and install new gear set.

Much stronger than original gear set

Made to fit standard or N1 oil pump housing

No extra cost involved unlike high volume pumps where an oil restrictor is required in your block

CNC machined

Did you get this information from Powertune? they dont list this on their website.

'renix' gears?? what/who are they?

i'm open to as much info i can get about this so please +ve's and -ve's

http://www.reimax.com/

Got deep pockets? http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Reimax-Oil...-RB26DETT-54021

other options are the powertune or the JPC ones http://www.jpc.com.au/products_rb30.php

I'm going for the JPC gears based on their reputation with RB30s, I dont know anyone using them but I'm giving it a go.

Edited by Alf

forget the rear drain, nitto pumps are good, very similar to the greddy jun pumps (nearly double the rotor thikness), i may even have a usd one laying around @ the shop.

Im not sold on the powertune stuff as most of it is copied / engineered, like the rb25 gearbox adpaters etc.... Id like to see some long term real testing (not just a few floating around with he said she said testamonials)

here is my 2 cents worth, go n1 oil pump with an oil restrictor and block the other oil gallery up, get the oil pump drive on the crank extended, not a crank collar, it cost about $120, i believe that the only reason these pumps fail is because there is not enough meat on the crank turning the oil pump gear. my rb30/26 has about 300kpa oil pressure at 1000rpm when warm. nissan motor sport are pretty smart and surely would not design something rubbish.

what about the other inside bits??? as per first post 'spool' stuff specifically and MLS metal head gasket...

cheers

i dont think you could go wrong with one of thier shorts, the MLS stuff is fine and we have used them in countless engines.

Hey Trent,

cheers! I tried to send you a PM did you get it? Want to give me a quote on rods/pistons/HG/bearings + oil pump :D

Really leaning toward the nitto - just dont think i can quite stretch to a Tomei one...

Honestley my part prices are no good without the machining and labour content. The NItto pumps are fine, i will send thru a pm in the next dya or so.

nitto pump without a doubt!

dont touch an n1 pump

oil drain rear head - aka "rear head thing" as quoted by dirtgarage, great bling factor & thats about it!

spool kit ive heard is good from my engine builder - i was in the same boat but ended up going with argo rods, mahle pistons & acl race bearings (good package deal)

the only problem with the n1 oil pump is the crank does not have enought surface to drive the gear on the pump, get the crank drive built up and there is no problem. how much power are you chasing, robby ward from rips knows all the tricks for building massive horse power rb 30s. also, run oil over the full mark on the dip stick, especially if you run a 26 dip stick. that rear oil drain jobbie jobbie thing must make it tight between the head and the fire wall, i only just managed to squezze the 26/30 in the cefiro as it was without having another 20 or so mm sticking out the back of the motor.

robby ward from rips knows all the tricks for building massive horse power rb 30s. also, run oil over the full mark on the dip stick, especially if you run a 26 dip stick.

rips racing are the rb30 kings!

re. the dip stick though, i dont think this is true for the reason that i run a rips sump extension kit with diff adapter plate (rb26/30 in gtr hence retaining the front diff) & when i bought the kit from rob, he told me not to run above the full line, in fact somewhere around 1/2 way is good & any higher than that i'd need to keep an eye out on how heavy the engine is breathing.

i'd say this is because im running 8ltrs with larger sump & with the stock rb26 sump which is 4.5ltr it could do with more oil for safety sake?

nitto pump without a doubt!

dont touch an n1 pump

oil drain rear head - aka "rear head thing" as quoted by dirtgarage, great bling factor & thats about it!

spool kit ive heard is good from my engine builder - i was in the same boat but ended up going with argo rods, mahle pistons & acl race bearings (good package deal)

Marko has the best package...Mahle's, Argo's and Nitto.