SAU Community

Another Yellow

niran

Hey everyone

Went on a cruise on Friday night and got pulled by the cops and was given the whole talk and then yellowed for having a car to loud.

That fair enough because that’s just simply removing parts going over pits and passing.. However the problem is i have been planning on doing the rb25 conversion in the next month or so to come.. i can’t go over pits at the moment because I have no reverse gear and also got and have a fair few parts I have to fix.

What i wanted to know was am i able to go to pits and get an extension saying I’m going to be doing the conversion very soon and can i have an extension or should i just un-rego my car and then go to pits once the conversion is done?

Another question i have and hence why i have put this in the WA section is that i am buying the half cut from ben at kyp however to install he is asking 4k (that’s without the half cut). When i went to Japanese performance center and they said that it should cost about 1k for installation at a garage.. so just wondering does anybody know where i could ring up?

Thanks everyone

Niran

Yellow can be extended, but when i went over the pits in August they told me it can only be extended by one week less than how long you were given to take it over the pits. So if the policeman gave you 3 weeks to take it over the pits, the pits can only give you a 2 week extension for the next time, and then after that you can only get one week extensions.

Im sure about this as well, as one of the things the pits told me to remove were my racing pedals, but i didn't have the factory accelerator pedal so i ordered one from Nissan. Nissan told me it would take 3 weeks to arrive, so i went back to the pits to see if i could get another extension. Turns out i couldn't and had to drill a brake pedal of an AU falcon onto the accelerator in order to pass.

Do you have a reliable 2nd car?

I would probably cash in rego, use the $$$ to fund an engine crane (assuming you already have tools) and have a go at it yourself.

Then just have mobile auto electrician come out to wire it up.

Take it over pits and enjoy again.

Also... I used KYP to change my timing belt and water pump and they did an OK job.

However they quoted me 1200 to fit a heavy duty clutch. Where as hyperdrive did it for 950 and did excellent work including replacing gearbox oil for an extra $30.

KYP are not always cheapest, just shop around.

Edited by dave_rb20

Yellow can be extended, but when i went over the pits in August they told me it can only be extended by one week less than how long you were given to take it over the pits. So if the policeman gave you 3 weeks to take it over the pits, the pits can only give you a 2 week extension for the next time, and then after that you can only get one week extensions.

Im sure about this as well, as one of the things the pits told me to remove were my racing pedals, but i didn't have the factory accelerator pedal so i ordered one from Nissan. Nissan told me it would take 3 weeks to arrive, so i went back to the pits to see if i could get another extension. Turns out i couldn't and had to drill a brake pedal of an AU falcon onto the accelerator in order to pass.

hey dude, i will go have a talk to the pit guys on Monday morning.. problem is however the cops didn’t give me weeks, they gave me 5 days which now is 4 days so its pretty stupid.. Not like i can get much done in such a short time span

Kyp can be a little pricey. They only quoted me $600 to fit an NA s15 sr into my s13 though. $3400 is a big difference regardless of the turbo :S

Oh really dam, i think the reason why they asked so much was because they had to get the tail shaft custom made and a few bits and pieces.

4k is quiet rediculous aye to install a 25.....

Agreed, i don’t mind if it was 1.5 k or close to 2 k but 4 k is more than what they asked for the half cut so not much point.

Do you have a reliable 2nd car?

I would probably cash in rego, use the $$$ to fund an engine crane (assuming you already have tools) and have a go at it yourself.

Then just have mobile auto electrician come out to wire it up.

Take it over pits and enjoy again.

Also... I used KYP to change my timing belt and water pump and they did an OK job.

However they quoted me 1200 to fit a heavy duty clutch. Where as hyperdrive did it for 950 and did excellent work including replacing gearbox oil for an extra $30.

KYP are not always cheapest, just shop around.

Hmm i don’t have a second car that’s another problem, however i am on uni break now so have 3 months holidays so not to much of a concern to not have the car on the road in a hurry.. i was going to do it at home but dad doesn’t want to get the house garage dirty.

I will defiantly ring up some more places on Monday get some prices.

Cheers guys, Niran

cops only give u a short period because ur meant to bring it to the pits without doing anything..

pretty sure to get an extension u gotta bring ur car for an inspection cant just ask for one.

pits 'can' give up to 28 days (if they like u) on ur first visit and pending how much they write on ur list

i wouldnt go telling pits ur planning an engine conversion.. and definatly not "hi! i've just done an engine conversion"

if i were u, i'd try pass with the rb20 (if engine number is regod to the car) if u need stock parts give me a yell could prob lend u some.

i am buying the half cut from ben at kyp however to install he is asking 4k (that’s without the half cut). When i went to Japanese performance center and they said that it should cost about 1k for installation at a garage.. so just wondering does anybody know where i could ring up?

Thanks everyone

Niran

:)

cops only give u a short period because ur meant to bring it to the pits without doing anything..

pretty sure to get an extension u gotta bring ur car for an inspection cant just ask for one.

pits 'can' give up to 28 days (if they like u) on ur first visit and pending how much they write on ur list

i wouldnt go telling pits ur planning an engine conversion.. and definatly not "hi! i've just done an engine conversion"

if i were u, i'd try pass with the rb20 (if engine number is regod to the car) if u need stock parts give me a yell could prob lend u some.

hey man

Thanks for that, the reason i wasn’t going to bother was because i don’t have the reverse gear in the box.. however i do remember last time i went they only tell you to put it in the gear just to see if the reverse lights come on but i don’t want to risk it..

i will ring up all the workshops on Monday if i don’t have that amount of money to do the conversion anytime soon, i will return everything to stock and go over.

Cheers, Niran

Thanks for that, the reason i wasn't going to bother was because i don't have the reverse gear in the box.. however i do remember last time i went they only tell you to put it in the gear just to see if the reverse lights come on but i don't want to risk it...

you could be really sneaky and wire the reverse lights up to a hidden switch and flick it as they watch the back of the car

Take car to pits, get comprehensive list and extension.

Buy halfcut, do gearbox conversion first. Tailshaft cost me $700 from Final Drive and the hardest part was modifying the crossmember. Plenty of writeups on how to go about it.

Fix other things on list.

Take car back over pits.

Install RB25. Again, plenty of writeups so if you're handy with a spanner then give it a go.

Take car back over pits.

only if they tell you it has to be tested

Yer that’s all good they didn’t ask for that to be tested

you could be really sneaky and wire the reverse lights up to a hidden switch and flick it as they watch the back of the car

Haha! good plan man might try that ;-)

Take car to pits, get comprehensive list and extension.

Buy halfcut, do gearbox conversion first. Tailshaft cost me $700 from Final Drive and the hardest part was modifying the crossmember. Plenty of writeups on how to go about it.

Fix other things on list.

Take car back over pits.

Install RB25. Again, plenty of writeups so if you're handy with a spanner then give it a go.

Take car back over pits.

Hey bud

Um yer i found a guy that can install it all for a good price so i might just buy a half cut and do it all at once, the reason for this is because I’m on uni break so once i start uni again just won’t have the time.

but i will go to pits and just get a list of everything else that is wrong and at the same time get an extension, then get the engine conversion done, then go over pits again with everything fixed

Or ignore the last step, and avoid police.

Yer not that easy mate

easier said then done lol

Agreed

just to throw it out there earlier this year i got a rb25 put in by KYP (rb25 included) for 4k, which included a exedy hd clutch + install + gearbox oil change + radiator + dump pipe + stock turbo.... you sure he said 4k minus half cut?

Edited by D_C