SAU Community

Sveral Problems

RedCef

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am an German living in Shenzhen, China. I am sorry for any bad English.

I have bought a 1994 Cefi 2 Month back and I have a few problems :) . The configuration is:

RB20DET, Aftermarket Intake, 3 inch split down pipe, Screamer Pipe, no CAT, standart ECU, standart surbo, standart boost.

First: I have a lot of movement in the steering wheel at low and at high speed. It shakes quite roughly. Also when I am driving thight corners the steering wheel "gaps", like if the gear of the rod and pinion has a tooth missing and jumps. I can rule out unbalanced rims and tires since they are brand new and right balanced for sure.

What do you think? Could it be the rod and pinion? What about the shaking of the steering wheel when going straight?

Second: Last time I accelerated quite hard in first gear, suddenly the engine stalled and the car hiccuped for some time, from 1st to third gear. A friend of mine was driving behind me and he said a cloud of black smoke and flames came out of the exahaust. No more hiccups so far but since then when I accelerate the turbo builds up boost and the engine is reeving high, but no power is delivered to the wheels. I can drive but only moderate, means in the range up to 2500 RPM`s. Is my clutch slipping? Or is it the LSD (It`s a viscous LSD) or maybe a problem with the rear axles?

Third: The engine is running very rough in idle, around 800 to 1200 RPM. What can I do to solve this??

Any help is much appreciated!!!! :(

Checked your tyre pressure? uneven pressure will cause it to pull one way.

Inconsistent power steering sounds like bad fluid or a failing pump maybe...but the steering rack could also have damage, which would also explain the vibrations you're feeling in the steering collumn.

Black smoke is normal if you're running rich fuel/air mixture...flames/backfire are also normal if you're not using a CAT

Sounds like your cluch is slipping.

When LSDs fail, they become open centre diffs....to test that, just drop a skid and see if both wheels spin :)...hahaha ok no don't do that.

Unbalanced axles or driveshaft could also account for virbations/feedback when driving.

Give it a big service, check your power steering fluid, racks, control arms, etc while you're under there.

1994 model hey? that would be one of the very last A31s ever produced...is it a rear wheel drive, or all wheel drive model ?

Hey,

thanks for the fast reply!

Tire pressure is normal, checked it. Can`t be that.

Ok, I will do the following:

First test the fluids and pump. If this doesn`t do it the following:

Since the parts here are really dirt cheap I will first buy a new rack and pinion and new tie rod, then new steering rack and so on... Try an error.....

I am not worried about the flames, just the black smoke, didn`t happen again until now, hope it won`t!

What can I do to get a normal fuel/air mixture? Aftermarket ECU? Is my AFM failing??

I am not quite sure about the LSD cause it`s an viscous type. If it`s leaking, I don`t know....

How can I get the axles or driveshaft tested?? Cause after I bought it I saw that the cover where the driveshaft connects to the clutch (don`t know the english name) was missing 6 screws!!! Welcome to China.... Got them now but maybe this could explain the vibrations

If you wonder why I don`t go to a tuning shop and let them figure it out, my Chines is intermediate, and the shops owners English also, so we have a lot of communication problems.

Edited by RedCef

Just have a look at your steering rack, tie rods, etc....if something is bent and is what is causing the problems, it will be bent out enough to notice straight away.

How much black smoke? is it constant, or just a big puff when you slam it ?

Air/Fuel mix can only be altrered by PowerFC, SAFC, aftermarket ECU, etc. Its possible you're not getting enough spark to ignite all the fuel inside the cylinder cycle, and some goes out with the exhaust stroke....check your running voltages, and make sure all cylinders are firing constantly.

Do you have bigger injectors / aftermarket fuel rail / bigger fuel pump ?

Failing AFM usually causes the car to stall when you open the throttle, they'll idle fine and usaully run lean (too lean, hence the stalling out), rather than rich.

LSD leaks should be obvious to find, but like I said, that shouldnt cause any vibrations...even 2 way diffs don't shake the car that much when they lock up.

Best to send the axles and driveshaft to somebody to be balanced properly if they're out.

The 6 bolts around the clutch, that sounds like the gearbox and if that wasnt in, I'd check that first, ASAP...the clutch might not even be aligned properly.

First of all thanks for your time!

The black smoke only occurred that one time. Didn`t slam it since then since I am afraid to wreck something... :D

My battery is very weak, I have to replace it. I just put in new NKG Iridum spark plugs, maybe they not getting enough power, maybe this causes the problem??

No, I don`t have bigger injectors/aftermarket fuel rail, fuel pump.... but I am planning at least the bigger fuel pump.....

Do I have to take out the axles and the driveshaft completely?? How can I check if the clutch is not aligned right? I mean I have to change the clutch for sure. My question is should i go with a standard one or a aftermarket product? I am not planning on bigger turbo or bigger injectors or more boost in the near future, since the chassis is too weak and I have to get it strengthen first. So do you think a normal clutch will do at first?? Its only around 50 Dollar here including installation, where a aftermarket on is around 3500 including instalation....

Ohh man, that car has only been one big problem so far :) . It really isn`t fun to drive. I mean it looks nice, but that's about it!

Damn man...Ceffies are meant to be fun to drive.

Dunno how you can get the clutch for soo cheap...thats weird.

Go with that if its all stock standard...don't need an aftermarket one just yet.

Get them to have a check of the driveline when they change the clutch for you?

If something is damaged, THEN organise for someone to balance your driveshaft or axles.

Look into getting a single piece driveshaft from gearbox to diff....better down the track for more power.

I know, I am pretty down at the moment. Just sold my Fit and until I have these problems figured out I have to take the taxi again, and taking a taxi in China is NEVER fun!

Here in China everything is cheap! Check out this link http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_detail...4.htm?cm_cat=26 it`s from the Chinese Ebay. 270 RMB equals around 30 US Dollar. I got my clutch on my Honda Fit replaced one month ago for 350 RMB which equals around 40 US Dollar.

OK, will do that. Hope they are able to do it. Chinese mechanics often do not do things just because they annoyed by you. You have to stand next to them and watch what they are doing. I have to find the time...... Which annoys me A LOT!

As far as I could tell it has a single piece driveshaft, but then I also could be wrong.

First of all really thanks a lot for your input and ideas, I will have it checked out as soon as possible and be back with some results!

Cheers!

So my Ceffy is in the shop now, the clutch was really broken. Also the slave cylinder was leaking...

My tuner says the steering problem comes from an bend wheel hub.... We`ll see how that goes.

I get the car back tomorrow or the day after.

But I want to thank you again for the input!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

so I got the car back, everything works fine. FINALLY!!!! ;)

Except for the clutch, it seems still be slipping at around 5000RPM. Will take it to an other shop to get it completely fixed.

And you were right, it is a hell lot of fun driving this car! It almost handles

like my old Fit, GoKart style!

Now I got another problem. My tuner says the chasis is too weak for drifting. I mean, I am not looking for hardcore drift sessions, but once in a while on the weekend sling a few corners. He says I have to weld the chassis to make it stronger. How about all the other guys out there who take their A31`s for drifting? Did they all had it done? Or will a roll cage and some bars under the chassis fix that problem??

Any suggestions?? :(

Edited by RedCef

Your tuner, like all tuners is full of shit buddy ;)

Unless you're into hardcore drifting it's fine...You can brace the chassis somewhat, look on eBay International for Cefiro, the US makes some parts that go behind panels and brace it a little, as well as undercar braces from one chassis rail to the other, and shit like strut braces front and rear, and roll cage also help reduce body flex a little bit when you're sideways - but yeah, Cefiro's are well and truely drift ready and capable without chassis modifications.

Having coilovers, camber, castor, better control arms, bigger sway bars, etc will help reduce body roll and play, but that isnt chassis related, and again, you don't need it until you start drifting on a regular basis.

Get the following:

Front strut brace

Rear strut brace

Fender braces (below)

Nissan%20A31%20fender.jpg

If it's only going to be used as an occasional slider then I wouldn't bother with seam welding the chassis. There is a number of things I haven't mentioned that you could do, but it probably isn't worth doing given the use of the car.

Edited by a31rb25

Hey guys!

Thanks for the input. Just what I thought. I just was a little bit insecure, because every shop I went to said the car would be too old and weak to drift... I`ll get the strut bar/braces and maybe a roll cage and take it for a slide.

I`ll let you guys know how it went!

Coilovers, camber, better control arms, bigger sway bars I have or get the next few weeks since I prefer handling over power.... for now.. :(

My engine is still stock RB20DET except the air intake and exhaust. When I get the handling fixed I`ll get to more power. Will take a while though!

;)