SAU Community

Dynoed The L28 Today

passin ewe

After having a new camshaft fitted last week ( 72 degree grind), today I had it dynoed. This involved a slight timing change and a tickle of the webers. Approx HP @ wheels was 175, give or take a few horsies. He took it up to 185 kph,@ almost 6000rpm and it was still pulling, f-k it was loud, but nice to listen to, that weber roar is a wicked note.

Car goes in for painting finally this week. 2 Pac "Bleached White" Chrysler colour apparently.

Being an ex Kiwi I may get the number plates "BLEACHED AS", been hinting ti wifey that they'd make a great Chrissy pressie.

I just kicked myself, I didn't even think about it. I was rushing too much this morn as I had an hour drive and had to be there for 8.30. It would've made a good vid as it took place at a warehousetype building that housed a private collecton of motor racing cars. Whilst most of the work was being performed I was sticky beaking at all the 1915-1930 something race cars. For example one had an 8 ltr 6 cylinder, one had a V8 spitfire engine( the aeroplane) All told there was about 15 pristine vintage racers. The dyno use to belong to the guy who did the tune for me, he sold his business about 7 years ago and the owner of these cars purchased Daryls dyno.The owner of these cars races regularly and has his own mechanic servicing these vehicles as per needed, or when they're about to go racing. They may not have liked the idea of me filming at his residence as it's not your typical dyno shop. Daryl also cut and adjusted all my spark plug leads to make them nice and tidy. Just had to pay the mechanic $50 and all was settled. I was stoked, but as Daryl pointed out , this was all included in the camshaft job which set me back $800. Cam $390, lash pads about $60 and the rest labour which I feel is still very reasonable as it's quality work from a very experienced person.

I just kicked myself, I didn't even think about it. I was rushing too much this morn as I had an hour drive and had to be there for 8.30. It would've made a good vid as it took place at a warehousetype building that housed a private collecton of motor racing cars. Whilst most of the work was being performed I was sticky beaking at all the 1915-1930 something race cars. For example one had an 8 ltr 6 cylinder, one had a V8 spitfire engine( the aeroplane) All told there was about 15 pristine vintage racers. The dyno use to belong to the guy who did the tune for me, he sold his business about 7 years ago and the owner of these cars purchased Daryls dyno.The owner of these cars races regularly and has his own mechanic servicing these vehicles as per needed, or when they're about to go racing. They may not have liked the idea of me filming at his residence as it's not your typical dyno shop. Daryl also cut and adjusted all my spark plug leads to make them nice and tidy. Just had to pay the mechanic $50 and all was settled. I was stoked, but as Daryl pointed out , this was all included in the camshaft job which set me back $800. Cam $390, lash pads about $60 and the rest labour which I feel is still very reasonable as it's quality work from a very experienced person.

You get a torque figure too?

D

After having a new camshaft fitted last week ( 72 degree grind), today I had it dynoed. This involved a slight timing change and a tickle of the webers. Approx HP @ wheels was 175, give or take a few horsies. He took it up to 185 kph,@ almost 6000rpm and it was still pulling, f-k it was loud, but nice to listen to, that weber roar is a wicked note.

Car goes in for painting finally this week. 2 Pac "Bleached White" Chrysler colour apparently.

Being an ex Kiwi I may get the number plates "BLEACHED AS", been hinting ti wifey that they'd make a great Chrissy pressie.

What are you calling a 72 degree grind Ricky?

Cheers, D

Hi D, I'm calling it a 72 because I was told my old cam was a 68 performance cam from nissan and now I have a 72 from Clive cams in the East.

Grind No 396

Lift@lobe in 331 ex 331

ADVERTISED TIMING:

Duaration: Exhaust open 288

Duration: Inlet opens 280

VALVE TIMING

Duration: Exhaust opens 252

Duration: Inlet opens 246

The Dyno run was more about getting the fuel mix/timing right. I really didn't even think about all those other things.Like I said it's not a Dyno shop where they give you a print out, it's a privately owned machine used for someones private collection of cars. Next time, as there will be a next time I'll ask for those figures. As Daryl pointed out , all my HP at the mo only comes from bolt on components and a small amount of match porting on the head, oh and of course it being bored to 3.0ltrs.Next year the head is in for some serious work as there was no problem with clearance with the new cam in place. The head hasn't been skimmed at all, it's still stock pretty much.So comp will be going up. Got to go to work now. Bye

Mmmmmmmm, there interesting figures.

Not common to use staggered inlet & exhaust on n/a motors here in Oz.

Very common in US on turbo L28's.

Mine isn't that big, but fairly considering I'm adding boost, all be it rather low @ under a bar.

Will be interested to see how it turns out & what figures it produces.

Cheers, D