SAU Community

Just Bought An R33..awesome! Need Help Though!

Calvz86

Hey guys! Glad to finally be apart of SAU ! I've always wanted a skyline since I was 18, well 5 years later finally got myself an R33 GTS25T . I must say it's awesome!! The car did come with minor mods such as after market airfilter, turbo timer, digital boost controller, short shifter, turboback exhaust and body kit. Now, I don't know about turbos that much as this is my first turbo.. So is there any sites I can visit or can anyone just give me a brief info on some basic things? Any suggestions Would be great. Can someone please explain to me how the boost works too? And I keep reading posts with people mentioning 'holding to the red line' what does that mean? As u guys can tell by now, I don't really know much about it and probably shouldve done some research on it.. So if u guys can answer some of my questions or give me any advice on anything I should know pleaseeee do , cuz anything helps at this point.. Cheers!! Happy holidays!

GDAY MATEY! Welcome to the world of awesome cars :P Well, looks like its got most of the minor mods done the next thing id be looking at doing, would be a front mounted inter cooler but then again that would make ur car defect-able, and id lower, it put some rims on and go for strut base - anti roll bars etc. Boost - Is the ammount of *boost* (Air pressure) the turbo is pushing through the engine. Stock is 5-7 PSI however with an after market boost controller, it can be would up to any ammount u wish, however given a stock turbo which im assuming is what is in ur car, i wouldnt go any further than 12psi.. So in short boost = amount of pressure *PSI - pounds per suqare inch* of extra air that the turbo is forcing through the engine. Advice, when u start modding the car, unless u know how to drive and how to handle a car, they will kill you... i know it sounds glum, but they are not the most forgiving cars and when u start putting 200+ KW at the rear wheels they can move really fast, and make it very easy to loose traction and opp crap there is a pole dead. in Short be careful enjoy the car, but respect it too.

If u have anymore specific questions feel free to shoot me a pm, and ill try to help u out.. but for the time being, enjoy the beast!

Alex

Edited by Alexxs

Easiest and fastest answer to your question? Go for the local meets in Victoria! Talking to like minded people will make you learn a lot faster and its just easier to understand the explanation given by anyone in real life.

In any case, the SAU forum provide a good starting point to learning the basics. Go to the forced induction section and spend hours reading. You will find a lot of useful and helpful information there.

If you've done your research and not able to find the answer to your question, post it in the relevant section on the forum and you'll be expecting a reply within hours. Very efficient and helpful forum IMO.

Forget about "modding" it for a while. How about you put a few hundred dollars aside and go and learn how to drive it first.

There are several places where you can do some defensive driving courses then move up to other advanced courses, skid pan days, drifting etc.

Seriously, Kev is the man to speak to first. Get your head around driving the car properly first, learn how it will behave in different situations. Do this and if you were to turn up to a motorkahrna day or something i bet you'd be faster than some one with 200+kw and little ability.

For information Re: turbo engines etc have a look in forced induction section, if that doesnt help, google will.

Cheers for that guys! Appreciate ur time and thoughts! Good info and will definitely take all those into consideration. If anyone else would like to add some more to those please do as I can use all the info that I can get.. Hopefully will be joining you boys at the next meet up/cruze! Cheers!

You'll find the defensive driving course a few posts under this one actually. On special :down: Best advice is to take it easy for a while until you know the car and what its capable of before u go say...throwing it around corners at 40 or 50kmh... :P Once you have a better idea of what its capable of...then start to get a bit more game if you want. you'll probably find yourself doing that without thinking about it.

Sounds like it'll be fun! But anyway thought I'd put this up too, after I posted this I decided to read other threads, and looked like it's quite important where u buy the car from.. What do u guys think about the deal that I got : $7500 1994 R33 GTS-T with minor mods listed earlier and 104,000 kms. No service history and was bought from hyon allparts on Sydney rd campbelfield. Now that I thought about it I probably shoulda been more careful before buying it like getting tests done and bring a non-bias mechanic over to check it out.. Hmm hopefully no major probz with it.. Anyway thanks for all the replies so far too!