SAU Community

Question About My Skyline..

johnnnnnyboi

i just bought this skyline i live in W.A of course.. im concerned about whats in the engine bay as i am not a car enthusiast i just got a skyline because i love the look but then to soon find out how fast they were... basically it has a pod filter and a blow-off valve, might i say after driving it a few times now.. a VERY LOUD blow off valve... this only came to my attention when my personal mechanic came over and said get rid of them. should i replace both of them or should i not be concerned? as they are 'illegal'

Edited by johnnnnnyboi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just bought this skyline i live in W.A of course.. im concerned about whats in the engine bay as i am not a car enthusiast i just got a skyline because i love the look but then to soon find out how fast they were... basically it has a pod filter and a blow-off valve, might i say after driving it a few times now.. a VERY LOUD blow off valve... this only came to my attention when my personal mechanic came over and said get rid of them. should i replace both of them or should i not be concerned?

What type of BOV do you have? Some you can adjust.

Bov's are generally gay though, DOSE ftw!

If the POD filter is secure and not lose you are fine.

I'm running a 3076 on 17psi with the BOV removed and blocked of for a shit load of flutter and its fine.

Some people would disagree and say it causes "shaft play" lol

cheers for both your inputs im not sure what u mean by atmo? and yeh the pod isnt secured i shud probs get onto that.. i duno how im gonna secure it but its like one massive pipe so how the hell am i gonna secure it i cant like drill a screw through it haha ive got these two photo's that my mate took when he was over u cant see the filter in it but dont worry about that its the blow off im concerned about sticks out like white in black... hope the pics load up ive never done this before =S its the first thing you see when u pop the bonnet that bloody red wire!!

post-67816-1263523603_thumb.jpg

post-67816-1263523617_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnnnnnyboi

What type of BOV do you have? Some you can adjust.

Bov's are generally gay though, DOSE ftw!

If the POD filter is secure and not lose you are fine.

I'm running a 3076 on 17psi with the BOV removed and blocked of for a shit load of flutter and its fine.

Some people would disagree and say it causes "shaft play" lol

Do 3076's have a ceramic turbine wheel? Because ive seen many a ceramic turbine wheel destroyed by flutter. I personally wouldn't have flutter with a ceramic turbine, only steel as stell is strong enough to withstand it. From my experience anyway... No comments about my non-turbo people, not talking about my car lol :(

cheers for both your inputs im not sure what u mean by atmo? and yeh the pod isnt secured i shud probs get onto that.. i duno how im gonna secure it but its like one massive pipe so how the hell am i gonna secure it i cant like drill a screw through it haha ive got these two photo's that my mate took when he was over u cant see the filter in it but dont worry about that its the blow off im concerned about sticks out like white in black... hope the pics load up ive never done this before =S its the first thing you see when u pop the bonnet that bloody red wire!!

Atmo BOV means that the BOV vents the pressure directly to the atmosphere which is illegal. BOV have to be plumbed back into the system, meaning the BOV vents the pressure back into your cars system. Atmo BOVs are gay anyway, rip that shit off and either just dose it or get a plumb back BOV. Stock GTR BOV ftw! ;)

If you still have the stock intake pipe the there should be a number of bolts at the end of it just after the AFM and just before the pod filter. Just make up a bracket to bolt on to there and then bolt the other end to the engine bay somewhere. Really easy and will save the pod filter flying off into your engine bay. Recommend you box the pod as well if it isn't, makes a huge difference.

Atmo = Atmospheric

If I was you I would just remove that BOV put the stock one back on or just block it of totally with a metal plate.

The only reason I would do that is because that is a freakishly big bov. Also that red hose leading to it does not help haha

Anyway its up to you if you want to keep it or not.

I'm just telling you what I would do to keep safe when a cop pops your hood looking to dish out some bull crap.

:(

oh cheeers well i guess the cars all good then, what if i paint the wire black? ;D

i dont know if its an atmo one or not... is there some way u can find out or tell?

hmm thats the thing i bought the car as it is i dont have anything original... altho its a massively stock car...

well its passed the pits twice! i had to do it twice cause of an area code or something... cant be a certain distance away from the closest licensing place blablabla

Edited by johnnnnnyboi

Do 3076's have a ceramic turbine wheel? Because ive seen many a ceramic turbine wheel destroyed by flutter. I personally wouldn't have flutter with a ceramic turbine, only steel as stell is strong enough to withstand it. From my experience anyway... No comments about my non-turbo people, not talking about my car lol :(

Oh here comes the flutter destroys turbo comment lol

1.3076 is steel.

2.How would you know 100% that flutter destroyed the turbine wheel?

I ran my stock turbo (ceramic) with flutter on 10psi for 4 years, pulled it of and its in mint condition.

Edited by KEN-R34

Do 3076's have a ceramic turbine wheel?

I doubt you'll find any newer turbos with ceramic turbine wheels :(

I would replace that bov with the factory gts-t one or possibly 33 GTR one (just make sure you get recirc hose with it). And another option for the pod filter would be to simply get a heat shield for it.

oh cheeers well i guess the cars all good then buttt i dont know if its an atmo one or not... is there some way u can find out or tell?

Yours is atmo, see how it just sticks out of your intake pipe? Means it can't be venting back to the system, only place the pressure can go is into the atmosphere. Plumb back will have a crossover pipe that comes out of the intake pipe, BOV attaches somewhere on this pipe, and then will have another pipe on the other side that joins onto the intake pipe before the AFM again. This way the pressure goes into the BOV and then gets vented back into the system before the AFM. You can also get hybrid BOVs that have a primary port back into the intake valve, and then a secondary valve that vents to the atmosphere when under load.

Example of a plumb back BOV:

post-61550-1263527444_thumb.jpg

Example of a hybrid BOV:

post-61550-1263527525_thumb.jpg

Lol Curtis i would recommend TurboSmart, they make good stuff, but i don't see why you would use anything except the stock BOV. Just try to find someone selling their stock one. If you can get a stock GTR BOV then get a custom pipe made up and that = win! :(

ill try find a GTR one, if not luck ill try find a stock one, if not luck there, ill try get a plumb back one from turbo smart :( , dam car came with a shitty blitz thing, its lamezor

GTR bov's pop up all the time in the classifieds section

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sa...-Parts-f12.html

No idea why people pay $200+ on an atmo bov that causes your car to run like s*it not to mention getting you a yellow sticker the moment you open the bonnet.

Edited by Dani Boi

i dont know either, it came with the car, it makes it run like crap.. i want it gone imma throw it in the crasher at work when i get a stock one, haha... $200 you serious for your car running like shit.. not worth it, just for some little noise lol

No idea why people pay $200+ on an atmo bov that causes your car to run like s*it not to mention getting you a yellow sticker the moment you open the bonnet.

oh boy looks like im gonna have to take it out then ai, gahhh gay. cbfff

No reason atmo BOV's should be illegal. It's not 'cos of noise since you could make a muffled one.

Yep agree that loud atmo BOV's are annoying. Seems to be EVO and Subi drivers like to cane it past people then blow their BOV's to show how tough they are.

you know the reason the car runs like shit has nothing to do with the bov itself, its due to poor install and the stock ecu.

Also you will only be able to run one gtr bov unless you want to spend $$$ mod the twin setup to work correctly.

just get yourself a stock one, i have laying around you can have

Edited by Kaido_RR