SAU Community

Buying Car From Victoria

Son Gokou

Hi Guys,

I'm from Victoria Melbourne and i'm selling a car to a guy in Perth.

I called VicRoads and they told me that i take the number plates out and hand them in when i sold the car.

When the car arrives in Perth, the guy just needed to get a temporary permit to drive the car way.

Also i needed to write a receipt for the guy stating how much i sold the car and when i sold the car.

Now the guy in Perth called me and told me that the number plates have to come with car, otherwise he cant drive the car away from the depot.

Even with the temporary permit, as police will pull him over and fine him.

I just wanted to know is this true?

As with the temporary permit, the guy in perth can drive the car to the workshop and get RWC then drive the car to Pit to get rego.

Any help will be appreciated!

Hey mate,

Doesn't require the plates, when it gets here he pays for a temporary movement permit ($14 last time i did it), then all he needs to provide to the DPI is vin and a description of the car. He has to have a copy of the permit or the permit number with him in case he gets pulled over. And that's that :nyaanyaa:

No plates required :(

Cheers

Aaron Grylls

If the vehicle IS registered, he needs the plates.

He gets the car, introduces it to WA road standards, takes it to pits, registers it HERE and SWAPS the plates.

You fill out an interstate transfer of ownership form (like any form transfering rego and ownership).

If the vehicle is NOT registered, hand the plates in as they should have been already.

Write the guy a statutory declaration confirming he owns the car legitimately, when he bought it, how much for, chassis / vin number, engine number, condition, etc.

He gets temporary movement permit.

Introduces it to WA standards.

Registers it and receives WA plates.

+

With Stat. Dec. if you weren't the last owner who had the car registered, don't bother. There is a form on the DPI website, you fill out and they do their own investigation, to make sure it wasnt stolen and car came into his possession legally...or if you want, you can get 2+ stat. dec. from every owner between "last registered owner" and current owner.

Just get him to de-register it and the licencing centre in Vic will take his plates.

All you need for a permit in perth is VIN number if you don't have plates.

I had no dramas doing this a couple of months ago.

Just make sure you give the guy in perth a previous registration paper and/or the de-registration paper for the pits and of course a reciept or statement mentioning the date and price.

Edited by gersfan

Okay guys,

So i'm going to de-register it and hand in the number plates to VicRoads in Victoria.

Then drive the Car to the truck depot, then truck the car down to Perth.

The buyer in Perth have to get a permit with the VIN number and pick up the car.

I also needed to write a receipt for him mentioning the date and price + photocopy for the previous registration paper and/or the de-registration paper.

Are these all i needed to do?

Edited by Son Gokou

Okay guys,

So i'm going to de-register it and hand in the number plates to VicRoads in Victoria.

Then drive the Car to the truck depot, then truck the car down to Perth.

The buyer in Perth have to get a permit with the VIN number and pick up the car.

I also needed to write a receipt for him mentioning the date and price + photocopy for the previous registration paper and/or the de-registration paper.

Are these all i needed to do?

YES

We just took an interstate purchsed S15 over the pits last friday for a customer, on our dealer plates. When we got the car, the customer had already taken it over the pits once and had a list of things to do. I am not sure if he handed in the plates at that time or if they were handed in before trucking to Perth. Either way, as long as you have proper de-rego papers, I don't see a problem.

-Fauzer

Sorry Nic A31 but you are giving incorrect advice.

It is against the law for anyone, but the owner of the vehicle (who ever's name is on the vic roads rego papers), to drive a car in a state other than where it is Registered.

Therefore, there is no point in leaving the plates on the car.

As it has been said already, the dude from perth needs to buy a temp move permit for the car before he goes to the depot so that he can drive it home, or to a workshop or where ever so he can get it prepared for the pits.

Ive brought an r33 gtr over from Adelaide not too long ago so i know that this is the way it has to be done.