SAU Community

Tig Instruction

Tektrader69

Is there anyone around Berwick or Narre Warren who could give me a bit of instruction with a TIG welder for alloy and stainless ?

I have good equipment but not good enough skills. I have a race car to finish and one way or another i am going to be making parts for it.

Yeh mate, im in Hampton Park if you want to come around and practice. :) What are you planning to fabricate?

I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the parts that where custom made I got with the partially finished car are not really what I need.

I have intercooler pipes to make, Fuel pump/swirl pot enclosures, cold air boxes, stainless dumps. I bought a nice TIG for welding alloy etc. But I have tried to weld alloy before at a mates factory and it is bloody hard to get a good finish and good joint. So I spose I just need a bit of help setting up the machine so I understand what all the adjustments are and how you use them. Also someone to give me a bit of a hand slap till I get the hang of it.

Might go and do a tig course in the next month or so but I dont really want to wait that long to at least practice.

I can recompense by doing electrical stuff on your car. It says I am qualified on the bit of paper I have here. :(

pm SENT

Edited by Tektrader69

Yeah mate i can give you a tip or two send me a pm and i'll down might even bring my tig so you can try it out too. I could prob show you a couple of tricks of the trade just put on a beer or two well call it even

hi, if your going to try and weld alloy. you have to clean the f**k out of the weld area first.

all alliminium comes with a protective layer... you need to get rid of this, some welders are so far advanced that they clean at the same time as they weld. but thats too technical here for a beginner alot of stuffing around with settings...

get some scorth brite and rub the f**k out fo the parts you plan on welding, not all of it, just the joins and what not...

then get some acetone and wipe it...

also with your tungsten it shouldnt be pointed. must be a rounded tip at the end.

once you strike the initial arc WAIT for the weld pool to form, like i mean WAIT. til its wet... and then im sure ull figure out the rest...

make sue your touching your job somehow, and not jsut freestanding,

when your welding freestanding the darkness from the helmet f**ks your visual balance up and ill start to kinda sway or rock slightly.. very difficult to weld

use the correct PPE

and take a breather, welding al is terrible for your "intake pipes' hahaha

dont forget to post up pics of your work1

• 4 weeks later...

I got onto the Miller weld web site in the USA. They have a packaged weld course with DVD and a big box of instruction books for about $60.

Its really good too, I just have to get a bottle of gas, some tungstuns and have a play.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/tools/

Looks like I can see a heap of running weld strips for practice