SAU Community

Manual Gearbox Conversion Problem

Hi

I have just well almost finished a manual conversion on my R33 Gtst.

I Took my car to get the clutch bleed today and was told that the folk would push in half way and no further and would not retract without pressure,

I realy need some advice before i pull the gearbox out,

Could it be that there is not enough grease

Im lost

Thanks

Aaron

At the end of the day if there isn't enough grease which COULD be the problem your going to have to take the box out regardless to properly grease it

Provided you don't find something else wrong with it

Giulian

Did you take it to a mechanic to be bled?

I ask because one day i was trying to bleed a clutch that had gotten completely dry and due to the fact that there was so much air in the line it would just not make up enough pressure to bleed the air out.

The only way i could get the air out was to leave the bleed valve open and quickly pump the clutch pedal in and out untill some fluid came out. Then it had to be bled in the normal fashion to get the bubbly fluid out.

I dont know if ure having the same problem but from what you're saying about it not retracting without pressure sounds similar because when i was doing it there was just so little pressure the pedal would just not come back out by itself. It had to be phisically pulled back to pump it again. Took about 20 pumps before i got any fluid through.

Only going in half way doesnt sound good though, still worth a shot at trying it the way i said. Hopefully it will come right after you get good pressure.

Goodluck.

Hey Champ

Yeah i did take it to the mechanic to get the lines bleed,They bleed it but was still pushing the folk in only an inch,

There is something stopping it inside so i have started pulling the gearbox out, it will be out tomorrow ill let you no what i find.

Appreciate the advice hopefully it is smoething simple.

Cheers

Sorted out that problem the thrust bearing had come apart ,

New Problem, the is now a ringing noise coming from the gearbox,only starts ringing when is moving.

Drives fine through the gears goes well,

Could this be asign of a warn out thrust bearing any other ideas, Is it still ok to drive

Thanks