SAU Community

Water sitting in cylinder 3 above spark plug

skyliner33wa

Hi,

As i have posted earlier, i have been having probs with my series 1 R33 GTST, was going to get it looked at but could not get the car in anywhere i decided to have a look at the spark plugs as a week before the problems (would stutter and shudder when trying to drive) i had the car serviced by my sisters bf, he is a mechanic, he degreased the engine as well, anyway i pulled the coil packs off of the first three cylinders and found water sitting in cylinder 3 looked like it has not gotten past the spark plug. The plug is corroded and the coil pack has a bit of corrosion on it.

Would this be the root of my problems, would the water have gotten past the spark plug? and would that coil pack now be ****ed?

How would i go about this now, should i leave the water to evaporate (which looks like it is doing atm) remove the spark plug and replace it? then take it for a drive?

Thanks

Kris

Water in a cylinder is a very bad sign. Seems like your head gasket has gone, or possibly cracked head or similar.

Its going to cost a fair bit to get fixed unfortunately, as they'll have to remove the whole cylinder head to repair.

Hi,

As i have posted earlier, i have been having probs with my series 1 R33 GTST, was going to get it looked at but could not get the car in anywhere i decided to have a look at the spark plugs as a week before the problems (would stutter and shudder when trying to drive) i had the car serviced by my sisters bf, he is a mechanic, he degreased the engine as well, anyway i pulled the coil packs off of the first three cylinders and found water sitting in cylinder 3 looked like it has not gotten past the spark plug. The plug is corroded and the coil pack has a bit of corrosion on it.

Would this be the root of my problems, would the water have gotten past the spark plug? and would that coil pack now be ****ed?

How would i go about this now, should i leave the water to evaporate (which looks like it is doing atm) remove the spark plug and replace it? then take it for a drive?

Thanks

Kris

It could just be water from degrease... change plug & drive it ..if thats not it.. it may be a little more serious

I had silvia that done same thing ..water in plug wells ..no idea how it got past plug caps ..dried it out & it was fine

It could just be water from degrease... change plug  & drive it ..if thats not it.. it may be a little more serious

I had silvia that done same thing ..water in plug wells ..no idea how it got past plug caps ..dried it out & it was fine

thanks all, yeah i dried it out and it is now driving fine, i think it got in there when it was degreased, all i can say is i don't think i will get the engine degreased anymore!

You have to be extremely careful spraying water around the engine bay - there are so many electrical connections for the water to get into and start the corrosion process. Once that happens, the car starts running like crap.

i think skyliner means the water was on the coil packs and around the sparkplug area not inside the cil itself , i dont think he took the plugs off . water cant get in the cil just by washing it . the water was shorting the coils so it was missing , now that the water dried out she is fine .

if u r washing the engine u have to make sure u dry it completely when u finish with compressed air ( thats the bast way ) , u have to take the coil pack cover off to make sure there is no water under there .