SAU Community

Engine Video

i was thinking, i am really interested in RB engines & still learning new things all the time, i was wondering if anyone knows if there is any kind of video tutorial or mechanics video that i could download/buy that runs through everything to do with an RB engine, im sure other young minds could benefit from knowing about this as well.. i dont mean like youtube flicks, im talking a whole video explaining it all? thanks in advance if anyone knows of anything.

so much of the engine isn't specific to an RB engine. if you want to know how stuff works, etc then 99% of that will be generic across all engines, just some of the specifics will vary. what sort of things are you wanting to know? for basics on things like how the engine works, etc, then go to howstuffworks.com and search it. it will be pretty good as it will usually have some sort of animation to help show how it works. the general principles are the same across all engines, just the minor details, such as locations of sensors, etc will be different.

if you are wanting to know more specific stuff such as what some of the plugs, etc do then just try and get your hands on a workshop manual and have a look through it.

yeah i just want to learn anything and everything, nothing in particular, i want to build a good understanding so i can tackle a big majority of problems/modifications when they need doing, its more so because its a little hobby i have i dont want to become a mechanic or anything im just generally interested. ill check out the website thanks for that, i thought as there is a trade to become a mechanic there might be videos of really "into detail" stuff, looks like books might be the way to go.

problem you've got there is to do that would require alot of time.. just going through the process is long enough.. but then you've got editing etc to make a good format.. all this won't come for free..

then the guy/s making this video then need to think what market would want to pay for it and whether they should invest their time.. answer is prob a no.. there wouldnt be enough market for it

Best way to learn is to have friends who know what they are doing and tackle your mods at home with them doing them.. learning first hand is always better than just reading it out of a book without 'doing'.

yeah i just want to learn anything and everything, nothing in particular, i want to build a good understanding so i can tackle a big majority of problems/modifications when they need doing, its more so because its a little hobby i have i dont want to become a mechanic or anything im just generally interested. ill check out the website thanks for that, i thought as there is a trade to become a mechanic there might be videos of really "into detail" stuff, looks like books might be the way to go.

you answered your own statement there. you said "there is a trade". you have to remember that trades are practical based unlike things you go to uni for. you only go to tafe for about 4 weeks a year to learn the theory side of things, and even then it is still a lot of practical work. the rest of your experience comes from working on the cars and learning what is what and what can cause certain things to happen.

a good analogy i once heard was:

university teaches you that you should wash your hands after you go to the toilet.

tafe teaches you how to aim so you don't piss on your hands in the first place.

but as i said earlier, use the internet to find info on how things work. that will give you the basics on how the engine works, etc. as for having a better understanding when it comes to doing mods, it does help to a certain extent (such as the reason why you would do the mod), but then some mods require a much higher level of understanding (such as when it comes to understanding turbo sizing), and sometimes it is better to simply ask for advice than try and figure it out yourself.

i understand exactly what your saying, the internet is a huge help, a year ago i bought my first r33 gts25, didn't know anything about the engine, didn't know what anything was called, i probably couldn't even point out the air filter, now after signing up to websites (like this), watching youtube videos & especially watching engine build threads on certain websites, i have a much better understanding of what everything is called and what it does. for example with my "putting a turbo back in" thread i obviously learnt a valuable lesson from a bad choice & fixed the problem myself with the help of others, now i could do that any time i want with ease.

i think i was more getting to the fact that it would be really interesting if there was a video from start to finish of "how to build an engine", i'd enjoy watching it to pick up little things. but oh well allot of people on skylines australia to help.

the mechanic i use to go to is handy because he has good tools that are usefull like big spanners that bunnings don't sell for example, borrowed a bit of stuff when i was putting my turbo back in, id rather do things first hand then read out of a book i hate reading anyway, thats why i was hoping for a video :D

Edited by azzafreddy

• 2 weeks later...