SAU Community

Bullet-proof Bunkies?

diamondjo

So, I may be panicing prematurely, but pretty much everyone who has seen my car so far has said "Nah, that'll get written off" - assessor is yet to see it though. As I'm sure we all are on this forum, I am very attached to my particular car and really don't want it to be written off. But if it does, I'm thinking I'm going to take the money and start saving for either a R33 GTR or R34 GTT... maybe something completely different, I don't know.

The thing is, in the mean time I'd want to buy a car that is as cheap as possible but pretty much bullet proof. I don't particularly care about looks, age, ride comfort, anything other than something that keeps going and going and going. The old mid-80s toyota corollas spring to mind. My old Daihatsu Charade was also a bloody amazing car and nippy too for its little 1300cc engine.

We're talking about sub $1500 cars here - I don't want to eat too much into my budget if worst comes to worst and the 33 is a write off.

So, harken back to the days of your P-plates and lets hear about your best old bullet proof bunkie!

If you don't mind looking like a farmer or a tradesman look over the episode of Top Gear trying to kill an old mechanical hilux [talking about zero electronics here, except obvioulsy lights/battery etc].

That and, dare I say it, I've had mates with Skylines, and daily Excels that have overcome some phenominal situations.

Edited by That_timothy

I am also thinking of buying a bunky, but more to save kms when the new engine goes in... Will be following this thread.

Should throw good fuel economy into the mix as well, no point having a car that never stops but costs you as much in petrol as it would to service...

I drove thru the hail storm in my 21yr old A31 Cefiro and the only damage was pin prick dents in the roof which u can only see if u look hard enough, all the windows survived which i was sooo surprised about. Awsome hardy car but i would say MOST reliable.

Doh!...Nana is off the table...hairdresser parts are taking longer than expected.

Dude! I thought you'd dropped off the face of the planet, how the hell are you? Too bad about the nanamobile. I haven't seen you in... well.. must be getting on a year and a half. I'm in Balcatta now incidentally.

Assessor STILL hasn't been so I don't know if I'll be needing a bunky or not. I like the idea of a little shitbox to tool around in though - I really hated taking and parking the line anywhere unusual...