SAU Community

Ls1 Cefiro?

dose_it

hi all

i went to the drags last night left extremly dissapointed could only muster a measly 14.5 with a slipping clutch

so to the point

i wanna do something different and the sr20 in the cefiro just isnt different enough

so i've been thinking my uncle who im on very good terms with owns a rather reputable performance workshop that has great knowledge of everything ls based with the ability to source very cheap parts

what are your opinions of putting a mildly worked ls1 into my cefiro?

after reading a few things from yankee land about ls1's into silvias and the like it doesnt seem like that hard a deal. but there silvias

does anyone know of any ls conversions into skyline/silvias with any links?

i only know of that autosound turboed r34

looking forward to your thoughts/suggestions/critisicm

Cheers Keith

post-62820-1273130550_thumb.jpg

post-62820-1273130570_thumb.jpg

what do you want to do with the car ?

circuit ?drag? drift ?

or just fang round the streets in a tow low to be usefull cambered out to hell over powered taxi ?

what do you want to do with the car ?

circuit ?drag? drift ?

or just fang round the streets in a tow low to be usefull cambered out to hell over powered taxi ?

well the car is currently unlicenced

but i will relicence it i want it to be a tough street car that i can go drifting in and take to the drags with maybe the odd skidpan event

so really in general a really different all round street car hence the part mild ls1

here's some fun facts i would like to shoot your way

you have a cefiro.

you have an ORANGE cefiro.

the police have pulled you and that car over numerous times and it will flag on their scanner as "one to watch" (nothing against you personally. that's the way things go. police run your plate and the screen says "inspect". police go inspect the car.

you add an LS1 into that equation.

now you have a cefiro (red flag to police) that's orange (eye catching to the police) with a history from previous owners (immediate pop up on their systems) and an LS1 conversion for when they look under the bonnet... really? that's the car you want to drive in?

you want to do something unique for a cefiro that's a street car why don't you do something unique like make it look nicer by giving it a clean or fixing dodgy parts on it to give police less reasons to defect your car... or get it to run like a decent car ie fix the clutch rather than spending thousands of dollars on an extremely difficult thankless engine conversion... i mean really, imagine trying to sell that.. ls1 converted cefiro... i wouldn't be buying it...

=/

sorry to sound like a prick but fools and their money will soon part ways my friend... you wanna drive this car on the road? i advise against this conversion.

edit: dude you have a cefiro... they don't get much more "unique" than a cefiro.

Edited by Mr Eps

I say do it.

Because Eps is a girl who doesn't like V8s. No offense :wub:

As long as you have approved modification permits, a very deep wallet and do it all to spec and do it right, there shouldn't be much problem with it. Cops might inspect it but if they literally don't have ANYTHING to pick on (which you'll need to make damn sure is the case), they can't touch you.

I'm with Rowan.

You got a sticker less than 12 hours after you bought it...if the paint job isnt saying something, THAT is.

JASON: Cops don't need a reason to sticker you, they only need "suspicion" of something not meeting requirement. They're not even required to read ADRs or WA specific rules. Even if he CAN pass the pits first time with all the permits, its still a day off work and $75 out of pocket, which is annoying if you have to do it every 3 weeks.

C-Red made this:

Same same as Cefiro.

Personally I wouldn't do it because im a fan of jap motors, but everyone is different.

I think if you want to do it, do it cause you would want to do it, don't do it coz everybody else would like it or not like it. You can't please everyone, but you can't dissappoint everyone.

You could enjoy the best of both worlds with the conversion and it would definitely be different and it would definitely get attention, both wanted and unwanted and you have to be prepared for the unwanted.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

theres a ls2 silvia in vic and 2 ls1 silvias being built here in tas , i've actually pondered the idea myself with how easy it is to get fair big horsepower out of them fairly easy , but imo it would cost too much to do it properly compared to just whacking a rb25 in there with a few mods to make enough power to keep anybody happy on the street and if done right keep the popo none the wiser :wub:

I've actually never been pulled over in the cefiro. I got the licky going thru a booze bus. I even got followed by mr plod last night whilst I was driving the car home.

Ah yes the general lee. I remember that one now.

Rowan I honestly don't see how this can be an expensive mindless conversion. I could probably do it for the same price as you could by converting yours to a built rb25 and manual conversion and mine would probably be the only one in the world.

Yes it would probably take twice the time but building a car doesn't take over night. Nic u would know that how long has yours taken now? It's been a fair while

toffy do you know of anyway to get in contact with the guys in tassie? As I have been working FIFO on the west coast and will be doing my last stint shortly.

Surely the hardest thing would be making it fit by making up engine mounts and massaging the trans tunnel with mr hammer and shifter clearance. Fuel system is easy as can use the system already in the car. Ecu takes car of it self by using standard ls computer. I'd have to make up some headers and exhaust intake is easy I could even probably use my s14 radiator.

I really can't see the conversion being that difficult

the legality of it though that would be a different story.

But if I go to my engineer from day one and tell him my plans and have him working with me the whole way anything can be engineered.

I'll be having a chat to my uncle tomorrow about the conversion

Thank you all for your input I've never seen so many cefiro section post's in one day lol

Edited by dose_it

Well

if you're in love with the idea enough, go for it and don't let any c u n t on here with a bought car stop you!!

First thing would be to fill out a vehicle application modification form (on the DPI website) and lodge it....AFTER carefull reading the ADRs and being sure the conversion legally falls within the ADR power:weight ratio rules (maximum variant of A31 Cefiro is 1400kg so it should fall well within the safe bracket).

The DPI will return to you with a detailed list of exactly what you'd need to do regarding your application to license the car (what needs changing, what needs certificates, what other safety aspects might need attention, etc).

Turnaround for these applications is (as of now) approx 5 weeks, sometimes a little less though.

Edited by Nic_A31

Do it.

tune, exh gets you a torqey ~240rwkw.

Its near standard so no reliability problems, have a tuff gearbox, cheap and easy to get and are lighter than a RB.

Im still sort of dissapointed I went twin cam Rb30 over the Ls1.

Police attention?

Just get it engineered.

the obvious answer to the point i raised is

"just get it engineered, cops can't touch you"

and kieth - went thru a booze bus and got a sticker... you think that's a rarity? you've seen the condition of my cefiro... so you know how it is... yet everytime i go thru a boozebus, i get my car checked over - obviously i haven't had any yellows in the last two years HOWEVER that could change tonight for all i know - it comes with the territory of owning a cefiro...

you haven't been pulled over in the cefiro, because cops run your plates upon initial contact - see your car car has a yellow and feel no need to pull you over - because you already HAVE a yellow.

my /OPINION/ still stands. that you have an orange cefiro, which is eye catching and unique...

let me run this scenario by you

..booze bus... 1130 pm Graham Farmer Freeway

*blowing into pipe* "yep, you're sober mate, just pull over to the right there and just wait for further instruction"

"ok"

"raise the bonnet, what engine is this?"

"that's an LS1, it's engineered"

"oh really? you got it engineered? well hot dawg.. why didn't you say so? HEY EVERYBODY!!! IT'S OKAY HE'S GOT IT ENGINEERED, Sorry Driver, Have a goot night"

OR

..booze bus... 1130pm graham farmer freeway

*blowing into pipe* "yep, you're sober mate, just pull over to the right there and just wait for further instruction"

"ok"

"raise the bonnet, what engine is this?"

"that's an LS1, it's engineered"

"Yeah mate, heard that one... lotta blokes forge these documents... just wait over there while we just check your vehicle"

"but I - -"

"Sir, just wait by the side while we perform our inspections"

i'm saying this, why? i'm nearly 25. i've owned a cef for nearly six years. i know how police work. from both sides of the coin from both driver and law. as nic said. they don't need any reason to defect you. they just DO. you having a defect isn't their problem. it's yours and the dept of transport's.

modification permits. engineers certificates. ADR documents and the likes can easilly be forged. and police don't give a rats arse if you drive around with a piece of paper in your glovebox.

i thinik this conversion would be cool to have bragging rights at the track and at the drags and such...

...but for driving on the WA roads... you'd have to be the sort that gets off on self harm..

toffy do you know of anyway to get in contact with the guys in tassie? As I have been working FIFO on the west coast and will be doing my last stint shortly.

Surely the hardest thing would be making it fit by making up engine mounts and massaging the trans tunnel with mr hammer and shifter clearance. Fuel system is easy as can use the system already in the car. Ecu takes car of it self by using standard ls computer. I'd have to make up some headers and exhaust intake is easy I could even probably use my s14 radiator.

I really can't see the conversion being that difficult

the legality of it though that would be a different story.

But if I go to my engineer from day one and tell him my plans and have him working with me the whole way anything can be engineered.

I'll be having a chat to my uncle tomorrow about the conversion

Thank you all for your input I've never seen so many cefiro section post's in one day lol

yeah , tas mobile mechanics , ask for martin croall (i'll get his number tomorrow if i can) . He's a top bloke , as long as he's not flat out he will help as best he can. theres a place that does the engine mounts etc , if i think of their name i'll post it up . i have researched it pretty well , being in tas i don't have the popo issues you guys would, it is a pretty easy conversion , bonnet clearance may be an issue but an xr8 swell would fix that, gearboxes from ls1/2 are shit for shifting and heavy and i suggest you research into ls1 about all the small problems they get with wear and tear (i.e rings , oil pump 'relief valve' wearing the body of the oil pump etc)

i thinik this conversion would be cool to have bragging rights at the track and at the drags and such...

...but for driving on the WA roads... you'd have to be the sort that gets off on self harm..

i lol'd at that

haha - yeah, do this if you want to, nobody's going to stop you really...

just be aware that it will cause many headache for you to drive on roads is all

i was thinking this too, ive now decided to put one into a 180sx, and strap a cappa on the side just for skids =) wont be happenin just yet though, gunna built a supercharged 25/30 for my ceffy.. not too many in tassie so might aswell keep it rb, would defeat the purpose of having it otherwise, might aswell just buy a ss lol..

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with VQ30DET, keep it nissan and apparrently the standard bottom end can take big KWs. They are quite cheap to pick up. The gearbox could be an issue as the VQ 6 speed (ie 350Z) is said not to be too fragile, most people use the 300zx box with a bellhousing mod. I would love to do this mod on something!