SAU Community

Building An Rb3det... Rb30 Block Needs A Clean

rich81

Hi guys,

Picked up an RB30 block and crank on the weekend (cheers pnk32). Block has water and oil lines already tapped - awesome . :D

Now, I think the bore is 87mm (I didn't have a ruler handy, but the play between piston & bore was greater than in the RB25 block). I'll measure it properly today to be sure... BUT the cylinder wall has rust spots etc, they don't look deep or anything but it'll definitely need a cleanup.

Anyone know a good place in BNE to get block (and possibly head as well) cleaned up? It would be great if said place will do bore machining/honing and possibly even re-sleeving if necessary.

If the bore can be machined to clean up the rust etc... how MUCH can be machined off the surface without going too far past the 87mm mark? Is it just a matter of getting piston ring gaps right when doing the build? Or am I better off punching the sleeves out and getting them re-done (can you even do that on an RB30?) If I do get it resleeved, can I go even bigger bore than 87mm (and still find pistons to suit)?

Sorry if I've repeated any questions that have already been asked.

Give David at Chilton Engineering a call, they are in Deshon Street Woolloongabba. He will be able to tell you what you need to know

nice bloke though

Very much so! And very good at what he does, was just warning him that if he calls dont try to squeeze the phone call in between meetings or somthing ha ha